Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Blistex posted:

Do you have any suggestions on what type of insulation I should be using on my stairs? They are very cold and drafty! What's the required R level for interior stairs to meet code?

Oh you subversive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

My Lovely Horse posted:

Same architect (Daniel Libeskind):

I guess if you've found your niche...

The Dresden one is good because it's deliberately jarring and discordant, which tbh is perfect for one of the few historical buildings in Dresden that wasn't destroyed, a building whose purpose is to record and present local and national history. The ROM one is just "crystals are cool bro"

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

pac man frogs posted:

The walls are fabric hung from (something) behind plexiglass with peel & stick floor vinyl tiles that extend down to the floor. We weren't able to figure out where it actually drains to - the toilet goes into the main sewer line, but running the shower is a bit sketchy because that water doesn't show up anywhere.

Give the wall a good shove and it wobbles back and forth about 3-4" and the fabric dances about. No idea what's on the other side of all of that.

haha what on earth

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
F. Fabric. Is this, like, a jury-rigged shower stall with curtains on all sides that's been pathetically converted into a potemkin tiled shower, is that's what's going on there

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Are LEDs significantly more shock-resistant than normal bulbs? The cat loves to knock my lamp over, and normal bulb replacements are getting expensive.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Apparently there were a lot of problems with the first wave of traffic light LED conversions in cold places because nobody considered that they didn't de-ice themselves any more, but that gets solved pretty quickly with heated glass or a nichrome wire in there somewhere.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

canyoneer posted:

If it weren't for that whole cancer stuff, asbestos would be a pretty fantastic material.

I'd imagine that there's gotta be -some- way to use asbestos in its best/safest applications now that we know the ways in which it's dangerous- like, I dunno, for shingles you could manufacture them with pre-punched tabs for screwing down so you could install them and remove them without ever having to cut or otherwise significantly disturb the asbestos, something like that. I mean, the idea of using asbestos for anything is rightfully poisoned forever for the average consumer so it's probably a non-starter, but I'd think almost all the risk could be ameliorated if it was used very selectively and the entire manufacturing/installation process was designed around eliminating the health risks.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Suburban tract housing, man.

Sure, lets just grout everything with leftover caulking and then slop some concrete over that to hide it for a year or two, whatever. There are concrete windowsills apparently entirely grouted with caulking, it's magnificent.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 29, 2015

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Motronic posted:

I just remembered......if this is one of the old apartments in the Rockaway beach area - they actually had a salt water tap in the tub. That could explain one of them, as well as kinda fit in with the obvious age of the fixtures/tub.

:psyduck:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
it's criminal that ikea still ships with phillips head fasteners

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

~Coxy posted:

Hex too.

Torx for life.

hex is fine, and that second one's a funny way of spelling "robertson"

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
relying on phillips bits to prevent damage from overtorquing is SO nineteen-thirty-LATE

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
yeah. flipmode. flipmode is the greatest

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

killhamster posted:

I've seen one of these get struck by lightning and it was every bit the spectacle you'd expect.

how many of these can possibly exist

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Just fired up a dinky little 20A stick welder on what I thought was a 30A subpanel. Power immediately dies when I try to strike an arc. Power to the garage won't come back on despite all the fuses still being good and the breakers at the panel further up the line not having flipped. Turns out the garage power, despite having a 30A subpanel, doesn't even have its own breaker and is lumped in with the living room power and it's all riding on a 20A breaker at the main box. Still doesn't account for the power dying despite no breakers flipping, which seems to indicate to me that the line itself failed at some point. The line is almost entirely buried underground. I'm eagerly looking forward to crawling all over everything with a voltmeter and possibly having to dig a big horrible stupid trench to fix things.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
gently caress electricity man gently caress IT
oxyfuel welding was good enough for my forefathers it should be good enough for anyone

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Leperflesh posted:

forge weld 4 lyfe

this guy knows what's up

e: Yeah, the silver lining is that if I have to dig all this crap up and fix things, there's basically no way it isn't getting redone to code and rigorously enough to last. And with glorious 240V outlets everywhere

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 5, 2015

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Yeah, I've got zero faith that they didn't just run daisy-chained lamp extension cords through some old pipe and called it a day. It's my folks place and apparently the state of the electrical was a concern when they bought the place that they've only partially remedied.
Speaking of which, are there any decent online/free resources for homeowners redoing electrical stuff? It's all witchcraft from where I'm standing.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Shifty Pony posted:

Just make sure the radio doesn't have a battery backup. That was a frustrating experience and I felt so dumb when i figured it out.

sorry for rudeness but lmao

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

KillHour posted:

I'd do this, but also bring pizza once a week around lunch time. I don't want them doing things to spite me when I'm not looking.

One of my friends' fathers, through the magic of being a supervisor for a construction company + being portuguese, was able to waltz into his suburb tract home under construction during odd hours with trays of coffees and claim to be a supervisor for the developer and direct modifications from the usual plans and have nobody blink an eye or ask any questions.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

taiyoko posted:

When I was a kid, one of the neighbor kids got his knee hosed up and had to have surgery...because they were using a slip n' slide in the yard, and it turns out the builders just threw their beer bottles in the yard during construction. Once the dirt got softened up by all the water, the glass happened to be close enough to the surface that it just hosed him right up.

Not quite as bad, but I had to help someone dig up their suburb backyard and that just happened to be the place where all the brick cutoffs n shards for the surrounding houses got dumped, and also where a ground-compacting thoroughfare for big earthmovers et al ran. Even with a big rented auger and several helpers that was still the slowest post-hole digging I've ever seen short of when they gotta do it manually with a spud bar when the ground's frozen.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I think that lightbulb is old enough to have a carbon filament

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
My parents built both a deck and a dock with composite decking and pressure-treated structure and they're holding up fine so far. The deck definitely looks like a monstrosity cause it uses salvaged first-gen composite that's ugly as sin, but other than that, no problems I'm aware of.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
The first-gen composites my parents used for their deck is the same stuff they make, like, institutional park benches out of, it's super thick, unbelievably heavy and has so much plastic in it that if you cut it with a fast saw the cut welds shut behind the blade ( :pwn: ) but I'm confident the composite boards are going to be sitting pretty right there in a hundred years when the timbers have rotted out from under them.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
What's wrong with the roof beyond the weird vent/gutter install?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
live and learn: preheat your poo poo if you don't like steam explosions

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

DrBouvenstein posted:

Either way, off to the hardware store today to get a proper face-plate...and some popcorn, because God-bless local hardware stores with sell-serve popcorn machines. :getin:

that's my favorite goddamn gimmick

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Baronjutter posted:

I want to make sure everything in a shop I'm browsing is covered in butter grease.

the local home hardware they do this at very tactfully places the popcorn immediately after the registers on the way out

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Also, opinions re: roofing nails -- hot-dipped galvanized or stainless steel?

Pfffft. Marine bronze if you're really cheap, Inconel if you're serious about doing quality work.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
it's sounds like its effectively pewter-lined (mostly tin w/ some antimony for additional hardness n wear resistance), which is an odd and expensive liner choice for a bathing area but is basically totally fine otherwise. id guess its a reflection of the bathroom design- copper was chosen because its extremely ductile, enabling easy deep die forming, and extremely corrosion-resistant compared to all alternative ductile metal options. tinning and copper play together extremely well and wont suffer from galvanic corrosion to nearly the same degree that nearly all other bimetal combinations n platings will because their electropotentials are fairly similar. also the copper shells could be hot-dip tinned, which is much much faster and cheaper than typical electroplating and gives a much thicker and more durable layer of tin than would be feasible w/ other plating methods

its actually a p smart design, emphasizing corrosion resistance and longevity in a metal enviroment thats gonna be damp all the time is sound, except that all the base materials are "kind of really expensive" to work with on a large scale like that

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
look on the bright side, once you inevitably regret + despise the hot glue gunned backsplash you can easily remove it with a heat gun

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

this is unchristian

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Both of those floors look "fine, they're fine" for what they are, the durability and effort expenditure is where i'd be concerned.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Crotch Fruit posted:

I'm just going to say that I have noticed wal-mart generic brands have overly optimistic expiration dates from my experience. The milk, cheese, and bread all goes bad far earlier than the expiration date if it's Great Value brand. I particularly hate Great Value brand pre-packaged deli meats, the packaging always fails in hilarious ways and I find the meat gets slimy extremely fast.

That said, at least in my area, wal-mart has had the best deli service. The local Dillons deli meat counter always has a ton of dirt on the machines and prices higher than I want to pay, Target has similarly high prices but the employees always screw up the cut. Wal-mart's deli counter almost always has 50% off on over sliced deli meat which is awesome, and so long as I go when the wrong employee is not working (toothless older lady with horrible breath who constantly wants to talk about random poo poo) the service is typically the slowest and highest quality. What I mean to say is I just can win when trying to choose a deli meat counter.

working at a deli in an italian neighbourhood for a year and change ruined me, now i will never ever be happy with what other delis cruelly pass off as "thin sliced"

i can read a newspaper through my thin prosciutto slices, get your poo poo together people

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Bad Munki posted:

The augur should have foreseen this problem

god dammit

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
soyuz doesn't really belong in there tbh

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
also confused as to why youd bother with a tub if it's only half a human long

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Leperflesh posted:

My wife and I don't have kids but it's impossible to get out of Costco for less than three hundred bucks anyway.

the only way to win at costco is- no membership, only go there for the unbelievably cheap cafeteria food

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

StormDrain posted:

It provides shear strength in modern homes designed with largely open floor plans.

I always assumed it was 100% for compact development privacy, never considered this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Leperflesh posted:

For both of those photos, one should keep in mind that a cell phone camera (or any digital camera) has a CCD in it, and they tend to be more sensitive in the infrared than the human eye. So things will glow more on camera than they do from you looking at them.

Also for the water heater one, possibly the gas has been turned off, even if the power is still on.

And, the natural gas being preheated before injection into the burner probably makes the burner more efficient?

also the gas flow woulda acted as active coolant as long as the heater was running- if the heater is inefficient enough, i can see that maybe keeping the temp down enough to not-glow at least some of the time, which would explain how it prolly took a while for anyone to get on that