Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Haha, that reminds me of my parent's house. It was built by the local high school as a shop class project, so there have been some, uh, issues. My dad's got a lot more stories (since he is the one that fixed most of them), but one that I clearly remember is the heating ducts. For some reason, half the house wasn't getting any heat, and there was barely any air coming out of the vents.

The reason? Old potato chip bags, from the late 70's, when the house was built, had been stuffed in the heating ducts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Shifty Pony posted:

Who thought that was a good spot?

My house had some bad toilet paper placement when I bought it:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Slanderer posted:

Speaking of hidden rooms, how about secret staircases?

For context: I was living in the 3rd floor of a house converted into apartments, and received the key to the 1st floor because I was planning on moving down there. Lease negotiations eventually broke down because they refused to fix all of the broken poo poo before I moved in(including remodeling a bathroom with water-damaged and deformed supports in the floor) because the landlords are cheap as gently caress and didn't want to lose rent because "they have to pay the mortgage" (I checked, and the mortgage was long paid off on this property). The ended up losing 3 months of rent anyway, since no one wants to move into an apartment that needed new carpets, refinished wood flooring, and a remodeled bathroom, even if the owners "promised" they would fix everything ASAP.

However, before that happened I was able to spend some time looking around the 1st floor and found something interesting

So, yeah. It was pretty weird to realize that the apartment I was planning on moving into had a SECRET STAIRCASE that led up to the apartment I was currently living in.

They're not hidden-behind-drywall secret, but the closet in my daughter's bedroom has a stairway up to the attic.It's pretty cool.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I know some construction sites ban eating on premises because workers will throw food waste into the walls and then you get big rat or bug issues.

When my dad was trying to figure out why one bedroom in his house was always cold, he found a bunch of old chip bags all wadded up in the ducts going to that room.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Haifisch posted:

I'm a filthy millenial surrounded by other filthy millenials who are mostly too broke to buy houses, so maybe wallpaper just isn't on our collective radar. :shrug:

Or they paint their walls, like literally everyone(who isn't in an apartment that won't let them) around me does. Admitedly it's harder to do fancy patterns with paint, but considering how many godawful wallpaper patterns I've seen in old house photos...

Ok this is way back but back when we were dating, my wife rented this house that had nightmare wallpaper in a bunch of rooms. Here's some samples:

This last one.. close up, it's obviously little flower things. But from more than about a foot away, it looks like a wall full of skulls.

It was kind of a cool old house, it was just full of decorating/design mistakes.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Klyith posted:

It's not difficult, you just have to spend McMansion money on a very small house.

My sister lives in Raleigh, and there's a small district of historic houses that are pre-1900. The edges of that neighborhood got kinda eaten away by "urban blight" when the white flight happened in the 60s, but now it's back to super-expensive. There are some plots where an old house got torn town and people have built new, with period appropriate style & exterior -- though I'm sure the materials are all modern.

Habitat's built a few houses like that in my neighborhood.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Thanks, just lost an hour to that blog.

Here, lose even more time to all the different editions of this https://books.google.com/books/about/Keith_s_Magazine_on_Home_Building.html?id=nNQrAAAAIAAJ

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

there wolf posted:

You ever seen those things where it's like 'this is the $20,000 gown I wanted copied for $200 from some sketchy online tailoring shop, and here's the garbage sack that they sent me?" Here's the picture they sent, and this what they got back.

There's a special place in hell for people who make "DIY" videos/tutorials where step 1 is get a cnc machine/laser cutter

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

PainterofCrap posted:

Jesus there's two of us

I think my dad and I make four.

Like, last week when I was visiting, we got a few 10' 1" diameter schedule 20 pvc pipes, and some schedule 40 fittings so we could make a contraption to put a net over a cherry tree, and the guy at menards scolded us for getting non-matching pvc.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

I've bought two bathroom sinks and faucets from Ikea, and all the pipes and hoses were standard sized and worked fine with what was in our house and what I bought from Menards.

Maybe it's different for other countries, or maybe it's a more recent change. The directions that came with my most recent faucet (purchased in November) said the inlet lines were, like, 9/16" but they were regular-rear end 1/2". Idk.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, it happens with abandoned railroad and trolley lines. Where I work, a lot of buildings were quickly built during WW2, and concrete foundations were poured right over sections of industrial railroad sidings. Made for a mess for the contractor when some of the buildings were demolished a few years ago.

When they were putting in the Green Line light rail here in Saint Paul, they were digging up old streetcar tracks right under where the new rails were going in. :sigh:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Dareon posted:

There was a vintage house plan blog linked way earlier in the thread, and I spent some time skimming it, noticing things like that. It was neat that you could look at a house plan and tell "Oh, this came after the advent of the car," "That living room is clearly designed to watch TV in," or "This was meant to be placed on a frontier lot without running water, because there's no bathroom."

There's a ton of stuff like this on Google books too. When I was trying to find out any history at all on my 1908 house, I stumbled across Keith's Magazine and a bunch of other old house magazines and catalogs. One of the Keith's has an article about maybe you want a garage, because cars are a thing now, is that right for you? Good poo poo.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

kid sinister posted:

Can confirm. I got a 70 year old silver maple in my back yard, maybe 12 feet from my house. On top of the usual leaves clogging gutters, silver maples have very shallow roots and drop a metric poo poo ton of sticks. I call it my stick tree. If you get from apples from apple trees, then what do you get every year from a stick tree?

Also confirming. My neighbors have a huge one in their front yard and it litters my yard with sticks year round.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

There are also things like windcatchers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windcatcher) that help with passive cooling.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

More photos of it on Zillow.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/112-Beech-St-Henderson-NV-89015/7210538_zpid/

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

How do you get into that sewing room bathroom

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Flipperwaldt posted:

From the photo I thought it were four dishwashers. I've always had this dream of having multiple. One for clean stuff, one for dirty. Never unload!

I also have that dream, because my dishwasher broke last week and it took 5 days to get the replacement part. :negative:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That's a strip club in rural Wisconsin.

That's a fancy rural Wisconsin strip club. This is an actual one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Beef Of Ages posted:

I drove by this the other day and found it to be very much in keeping with the area in which it resides. It's also worth noting that the actual club is in the building in the back right of that image. The building near the highway is used to hang the sign lest anyone miss this gem.

No poo poo. I've driven by it so many times and always thought that building was it.