Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Its wild to me to know there's still houses anywhere remotely liveable for under a million dollars. My friend bought a house maybe 10 years ago for 150k in a medium US city and its worth about 350k now. Amazing gains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This picture is a perfect depiction of what most old houses are like. There's no amazing historic charm and bygone craftsmanship, it's just really run down and lovely and it takes a ton of work and money to renovate anything into being at all decent. So often this is the sort of stuff we're fighting to preserve.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Building looks cool. Great use of a very narrow lot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm posting homegrown here. It's chaotic and lovely but it works. I needed to exactly control the height of the plywood topper down to the mm while also maintaining cohesive benchwork under it all.

At least the rest of my benchwork is totally fine and not insane.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trains, although I will have a lot of coastal and river area which may contain fish.

This is what's directly above my absolutely hosed construction. I had to get this height change perfect from where my track will go from having roadbed to being flat on the plywood.

I also built the whole room, which was a series of 45 degree angles snaking through an unfinished basement with a very uneven floor and a lot of other obstructions. I had never done it before in my life but my electrician friend said it was some of the best framing he's seen, so I'm happy to hear that.

I have also never framed or hung a door in my life, and I decided to custom built from scratch a weird 3' x 6' door to fit the unique opening. It worked out pretty good, although the door its self isn't built the best. The interior is very thin door skin, and the framing around it isn't a proper frame, it's a sandwich nailed to both sides because I lacked the tools and skills to do it properly with like a groove for the plywood to sit inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why are architects and interior designers so obsessed with making extremely dangerous stairs?

I saw some documentary on Victorian times, and a leading cause of accidental death was falling down the stairs because the science of how to make stairs safe had not been really landed on, and there were no building codes so you'd get these incredibly steep and sometimes uneven deathtrap stairs that didn't have handrails or guardrails. We figured out how to design stairs so that people didn't routinely trip on them and we mostly put that into building code as a pretty important matter of life and death.

But it never stops brain dead "function? Nah, only form matters!" architects and designers from constantly pumping out insanely stupid and dangerous stair designs. But, instead of the dangerous stairs being in tenements or narrow servant's access and mostly killing the poor, they're now mostly inflicted on the rich. So maybe it's fine?