Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Buying a house in Yonkers, and I had a ton of trouble getting insurance just because the electrical work was so hosed up. It's a two family home, with a split panel giving each unit 60 amps. Federal Pacific fuse boxes of course. Also, every single outlet has the ground and neutral wires mixed up. I didn't even bother to ask whether a pro or "handyman" had done it, it's not relevant at this point. The sellers were shocked that I wanted a credit to fix all of it.

I initially thought of changing the outlets myself, but I wouldn't gently caress with panels, especially since I can't call the city myself and get them to turn off the power. The sellers kept trying to tell me to use somebody they know, who'd do it for $800 so they didn't have to give me a huge credit. Not licensed of course. $800 to get a service upgrade, new 200 amp split panel, and replace about 25 outlets? Sounds legit. I'm sure it wasn't the guy who hosed up the outlets in the first place either.

I'm actually going with reputable pros I know who do everything right the first time, and they're also moving the meters to the outside. $3600 total, but well worth it for the piece of mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

PopeCrunch posted:

This is from a few pages back but ahahahaha. I have a side gig doing home inspections for insurance companies, and several insurance companies will straight up refuse to insure you or cancel your policy if they find out you have any FEP or Stab-Lok stuff in the house. This is one of the VERY FEW absolute dealbreakers - they'll even shrug and not give a poo poo about knob and tube or that oldass aluminum wiring that sucked. It's pretty goddamned bad when a piece of equipment is so hosed up that insurers will flat out refuse to take your money. :V

I bought a two-family house with a 120 amp Federal Pacific panel. I was told that I couldn't get insurance until I replaced it. It was a bitch getting the electricians out there on the day of the closing.