Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Parents are getting divorced in the nearish future, so I've been looking at homes with my mom. This is all from the same house.

Building an addition? Just board up the window and close the blinds :v:

This is the lovely tuck under garage which is really enhanced by the ceiling fan.

:stare:

I didn't even bother taking pictures of the bizarre floors the bizarre floor height changes as many as three times in the same room. Or what appears to be a sun room added to the detached garage. There's windows from that kitchen looking out into yet another decision. Painted wood everywhere. Drafty plywood door to under eave storage in the master bedroom.

Needless to say we are not interested in this house of horrors.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

e: Couldn't help it, here we go. Sorry so many of these are blurry, the house was incredibly poorly lit.
Gld you couldn't help it. Hopefully now that spring is approaching some more houses will find their way onto the market because we haven't seen anything good so far. Of Course this last one makes the manufactured home we looked at first look nice.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ephphatha posted:

Apparently I didn't take a photo (probably cause we had an agent showing us around the house) but when my partner and her parents were looking for a place to buy we found a house that used to be owned by a vet. The backyard had been converted into kennels (concrete slabs poured everywhere with fenced in pens), the garage/shed out the back had been set up as a reception area/storage for birds and small animals, and they decided to build an extension off the kitchen for another bedroom. There was a massive window along the exterior wall over the kitchen counter, instead of covering it up they removed the window and made it a serving shelf. To a bedroom.
My brother's second grade teacher and her husband ran sled dogs, and probably had about 50 of them. Which meant about 50 little hutches for them out on the ground, each with it's own poured slab. We had a few lovely winters and they ended up moving to northern Maine I think. The dog area wasn't in view of the house or the road, but it probably wasn't loads of fun selling that house, even though I remember it being really nice.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

I didn't realize the Winchester House was on the market.
That one I looked at was pretty much Rose Red (Kind of lame Stephen King miniseries from about 10 years ago based on the Mystery House for those not in the know). Place was creepy as gently caress, and almost seemed to be growing on it's own. That boarded up window was in the room with entryway for gently caress sake

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Blistex posted:

The only thing I didn't like about Holmes on Holmes was that a lot of the projects were just stupid rich people. "The contractor put in the wrong Italian marble flooring, I'm so sad!". Stuff like that is neither interesting nor makes you feel sympathetic towards the homeowners. I'd like it if he would help out more first-time home owners or younger couples getting screwed.
That's going to end up being the problem with a lot of home improvement shows. You've got to be kind of rich to have enough work done that you can base an episode around it.

Last fall the building I work in had the old flat roof stripped off, and a sloped metal one installed. Saying it was 'last fall' isn't exactly accurate since this dragged on for about 4 months, because they kept going off to do other projects which apparently our wonderful contracting office let them get away with. Trying to work in the building was really surreal when they were stripping the old roof off while we were inside. It would get incredibly loud whenever they ran their machine over, it wasn't really worth cleaning anything because of the constant debris falling out of the ceiling, and looking up and seeing the sky through tiny holes. Come December they were constantly bitching about how cold it was, well it wasn't 10 below back in October when you should have finished it. I think they finally finished at the start of January but I wasn't around to see it. Apparently the roof is leaking over on the other side of the building.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Went to look at another house, best so far but still not what we want. It was built in the 50's and had been updated, but the pattern I keep noticing is that just because a house has been updated doesn't necessarily mean it was done well, or very well thought out. And for the price they were asking it wouldn't have been worth all the work we'd end up wanting to do.

Though the main reason I bring this house up is because they people who were selling it hadn't moved out yet, so the entire open house just felt weird. You'd think their realtor would have talked them into getting hiding of some of the creepy old people poo poo they had, but no. Walked into a kids bedroom, and there's a toddler sized doll leaning against the wall that you couldn't see from the door way, I saw a few people jump when they caught sight of it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There's a house down the road with a pipe popping out of the lawn, ever 45 seconds or so it belches out a bit of water. It seems really odd because it does it when it hasn't been raining, it doesn't look particularly swampy there, and there's only a slight hill sloping into their backyard. I can't imagine it's cheap to have your sump pump kicking on all day, every day.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Long Francesco posted:

I wonder how fat people use those squat toilets. If everyone was forced to switch it would probably solve the obesity problem overnight.
They'd just poo poo on the floor and bitch about how you're inconveniencing them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Not exactly crappy construction.

My mom is having a fake stone wall and the crappy wood burning fireplace taken out and replaced with much nicer stuff. Not to mention legal, after we got the house my dad and grandpa closed off the chimney, and sawed it off internally. Then when the roof was redone some years after that he had the external bits removed too. So the fireplace just continued to sit there for 20 years in this state, maybe this is a crappy construction story after all...

But anyway, all the old poo poo has been demoed out now. We found this in the wall:

For a can from 1978 it's in great condition, even cleaner than it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's actaully empty. There were a bunch of crushed ones back there too.