Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Blistex posted:

Ancient Audio setup?

Master/slave clock system for a public building. There's some ancient phone stuff too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_clock

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

These kind of lights are affectionately known as 'boob-lights' around my family.

Seconding this. We have one of these in the entry way to our family room from the garage. In the evening, the light from the two sconces on the opposite wall projects two perfect perky nipple shaped shadows on the wall behind the teet-light.

Edit: Here's a photo.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 29, 2012

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

I recently became the Tenant of a 8400Sq. Ft. office building that served as the Headquarters of a Local NE Ohio Newspaper from the late 1870's to September of 2012. The oldest part of the building was built in 1858, by a Farrier that leased horses and wagons to the federal government for the Cleveland-Ravenna and Mentor-Ravenna mail routes. It did a short stint as a mortuary/funeral parlor in the early 1870's. The Ravenna Republican newspaper moved in the the late 1870's.

Already I've found Stab-Lok subpanels everywhere, a mystery light switch in the basement that cuts the lights in the break room upstairs, A secret Trap Door in the floor of one of the offices, Staircases to nowhere, twistlok 240V outlets on the second floor for an NCR Mainframe Computer + "Hard Disk Unit," two big rear end Anemostats in the first floor ceiling that blow no air, and a creepy rear end boiler room that flooded last year. (the boiler was above the water line, thank god)

I'll keep the thread updated as I uncover the crazy that lies within these walls.
Or, would it be better if I started a dedicated thread?

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 11, 2015

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Sylink posted:

Well you are in Alliance/Ravenna or whatever shithole town that building is in , based on the 44 sign I assume its not Kent :shrug:

But I'm not far away from where that is probably, so I guess I can't complain.

Ravenna. We're trying to make things better. The town has good bones but far too many problem people renting downtown and idiots in city government. Your city's best downtown rental properties probably shouldn't be rented to habitual drug offenders with no incentive to get treatment/help, even though there is a city statute prohibiting such behavior and supposedly offering free treatment/rehab.

Our roof was covered with spent Tracfones and broken crack pipes from the apartment buildings/literal bed-in-a-room flop houses on either side when we moved in. This is going to change mighty quick. I guess you could call it rust belt gentrification.

We're turning this place into a Recording Studio, Coffee Shop/Bookstore, incubator office space, and an apartment for my business partner, his Fiance, and our other Partner on the second floor.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 11, 2015

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

MullardEL34 posted:

I recently became the Tenant of a 8400Sq. Ft. office building that served as the Headquarters of a Local NE Ohio Newspaper from the late 1870's to September of 2012. The oldest part of the building was built in 1858, by a Farrier that leased horses and wagons to the federal government for the Cleveland-Ravenna and Mentor-Ravenna mail routes. It did a short stint as a mortuary/funeral parlor in the early 1870's. The Ravenna Republican newspaper moved in the the late 1870's.

Already I've found Stab-Lok subpanels everywhere, a mystery light switch in the basement that cuts the lights in the break room upstairs, A secret Trap Door in the floor of one of the offices, Staircases to nowhere, twistlok 240V outlets on the second floor for an NCR Mainframe Computer + "Hard Disk Unit," two big rear end Anemostats in the first floor ceiling that blow no air, and a creepy rear end boiler room that flooded last year. (the boiler was above the water line, thank god)

I'll keep the thread updated as I uncover the crazy that lies within these walls.
Or, would it be better if I started a dedicated thread?

Update: If anyone in The Cleveland/Akron Metro area wants a vintage 1950's Steelcase desk, PM me. We have like 40 of them and they need to go, fast. They weigh as much as a 57' Cadillac, so be prepared. I'd like to get :10bux: a piece for them as a donation to our cause or something, otherwise you can have one for free. He're going to have to scrap them. I've been trying to find new homes for them for two months. Apparently hipsters don't like old metal desks.

Also, we discovered today that the 150 extension Panasonic Digital PBX in the basement still semi-works. You can dial from extension to extension just fine, and dialing #9 activates a paging amplifier that feeds 70V ceiling speakers throughout the building. Of course the previous owners left no manual or documentation for the PBX, so even figuring out how to reprogram it/knowing which lines are coming from the TELCO stack outside is going to be interesting. I was hoping to replace one of the TELCO lines with an OBI110 POTS-to-VOIP bridge and light the system back up.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 17, 2015

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

To everyone who PM'd me about a desk, I'll get back to you as soon as I know my schedule for the coming two weeks. I'll PM you back by Monday at the latest.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Fo3 posted:

Where does that cable go?
Did your landlord do it themselves or pay a contractor? (either way, not trimming down the old interior panelling at least is pretty lovely because they didn't even need to bring any wood trimming, and the outside could be covered with tin flashing and any WWRAC installer should have plenty of that)

E: Also, out of interest (I used to do aircon in Australia), who is still making WWRACs/what brands in that?
Last I knew, which is a few years ago, all the big names stopped, and it was only Korea (LG) and China (Teco, Kelvinator) making them.

2nd edit: Where is the condensate drain point on the back?

Window mount air conditioners are still quite common in the US in older buildings, homes, and apartments, that were built with steam or hot water heat and no central ducting.
All of the window units you can buy now are made in China, Korea, or Mexico and are sold under the major US appliance brands, eg, Maytag, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, GE, Amana, Kenmore, Carrier and super low end models by Haier and big box store house brands.
Mini-splits are quickly gaining more and more market share though.
What I'm wondering is if that Aircon will chew through more electricity than the 240V unit it replaced.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Only aluminum windows I see around here are mid century tract homes.

Vinyl is the wonder material of the future... much like asbestos was in its time :3:

This is the only appropriate response to wood trim :colbert:

the trim pieces underneath may or may not have lead paint

Vinyl windows are great, but vinyl siding was spawned from Satan's rear end in a top hat. It's the ugliest house cladding ever devised and always ends up looking like this in less than 10 years.

It screams cheap, disposable construction. The worst is when flippers use it to re-side 100+ year old houses that somehow got by with wood siding and oil based paint for a freaking century only to rot when people started painting it with exterior latex in the 80's. There is a solution to this problem, but it is expensive and too few people know about it.
http://www.solventfreepaint.com/index.htm
Allback paint is guaranteed for 50 years. Give it a fresh coat of Linseed oil every 10 years and you're set.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 21, 2015

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Kilo147 posted:

So my old high school is gonna be torn down in the next decade, as it is "structurally deficient" and will, lacking any other word, utterly collapse and sink in an earthquake. It was one of those open concept schools, that were so popular in Western Washington. No interior walls except around the Commons, cafeteria, and offices. Classes would meet at one of. Twenty-six or so pillars with movable walls to separate the classes. When it opened there was seventeen twenty minute periods to encourage individuality. It failed miserably. To top it off, there's a basement, around four feet deep under the entirety of the school. Back in the day they though we could only get 5-6 magnitude earthquakes, and the school was designed to drop those four feet rather than collapse. With the larger quakes we can have, it would sink and basically fall apart.

Anyway, I don't have a picture handy, but the school has the world's largest solid laminate wood beams, over a hundred meters long going across the length of the school in both directions. It's a weird loving place.

"Progressive" school architecture was popular here in Northeast Ohio as well. Most of them were such disasters in practice that they were either completely renovated with permanent interior walls or torn down within 20 years of being built. One of the last ones still operating in its original configuration is in my town.

Welcome to Bellflower Elementary School.

A K-6 Doom Bunker of Learning.

It was designed and built at the height of the oil crisis, half underground and surrounded by a earthen berm to save on energy costs. It's basically Jimmy Carter's Malaise speech in Dystopian building form.

Notice how the berm continues inside the building, so that the kids can't actually see out the tiny ribbon of windows. From the stories told of both friends who went to school there, and teachers that worked there, it perpetually smells like a dank moldy basement. That would make sense since the water table in that part of Mentor is extremely high.
http://www.architectmagazine.com/project-gallery/earth-bermed-and-energizing

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 6, 2015

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

ArcMage posted:

That building says to me 'Defense Contractor', not gradeschool.

To make it even better, It's not even that energy efficient. The building is heated and cooled with roof mounted, ceiling plenum ducted forced air HVAC units like any steel industrial building of similar size and era would be.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 6, 2015

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

MullardEL34 posted:

Things are coming along...

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 16, 2015

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hmm... Something doesn't look quite right

I wonder where it goes?

Electrical tape confirms it's lawnmower bait

I guess it's maybe legit?

This isn't getting enough love, holy poo poo. My only guess is the buried service drop had a break somewhere along its run and this was the temporary "fix." Underground electric service is great until something breaks, then it loving sucks.

Edit: looks like the meter box has a utility issued tamper seal on it so I guess it's legit...

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

My next door renter neighbors just dug a large hole, lined it with a blue tarp, filled it with water and put rocks around it. It looks about as bad as you could imagine. I guess they have no idea what Mosquitoes are. Once they ran out of rocks for the "water feature" they decided to bust up the concrete downspout extensions that are intended to direct rainwater away from the foundation and used them as ersatz redneck pond rocks.
I'm thinking about mounting a directional loudspeaker outside that plays dueling banjos on an infinite loop aimed at their yard at a low volume.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 31, 2017