Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Yikes.

You might need to explain this to the non-Finns, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

how are plumbing things getting electricity through them

My brother is an electrician and he regularly complains about finding poo poo grounded to water pipes. It's a reliable sign your wiring needs to be completely redone.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

What really gets me here is the stack bond.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Platystemon posted:

gently caress yeah death stairs.

These look like they're made of a bunch of coffee tables sawn in half.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

A bit late to this chat, but a few thoughts on this:

Facebook Aunt posted:

This isn't exactly crappy, it just struck me as a bit strange.

It kinda looks like 3 buildings, but going past it it seems to be one large building. Maybe they wanted to add height while maintaining the character of the neighbourhood?

Another one a block later. From head on it seems to be 3 buildings, but at this angle you can see it is just one.

Was there a time when this was an architecture trend? Or are these buildings metastasizing and we're just being dosed by the SCP foundation so we don't notice anything strange.

FISHMANPET posted:

It's pretty common for design guidelines or boards providing discretionary approval of projects to encourage poo poo like "breaking up the massing" because heaven forbid anyone perceive a large building. Everybody, architects and residents alike, think stuff like this looks like poo poo. I think only a couple hundred people in the US even like it, it just so happens those people are the ones sitting on those boards and commissions approving these projects.

Nope, it's very much an architect thing. I've been on a discretionary board like you described for some years now and bargain bin deconstructivism is just the default style* of today.

What's deconstructivism, you ask?

Wikipedia posted:

Deconstructivism is a movement of postmodern architecture which appeared in the 1980s. It gives the impression of the fragmentation of the constructed building, commonly characterised by an absence of obvious harmony, continuity, or symmetry.
---
Architects whose work is often described as deconstructivist (though in many cases the architects themselves reject the label)* include Zaha Hadid, Peter Eisenman, Frank Gehry, Rem Koolhaas, Daniel Libeskind, Bernard Tschumi, and Coop Himmelb(l)au.

Like most architectural styles emphasizing individual creativity instead of hard design rules, it looks really unimpressive when done on a budget.

I believe the reason why this has become the default style is that most architecture schools havr you do piles and piles of impossibly cool (and expensive) designs. Unfortunately architecture is a lot like the fashion industry in that almost everyone goes into it with dreams of doing bespoke haute couture and 99.9% end up designing print t-shirts for Walmart.

When you venture out into the real world and suddenly have to work on a budget, you often end up whittling down your designs until they become Wish.com versions of the stuff you designed in school.

* Most architects will rather die than admit to designing to style today, but it's mostly self-delusion, they all follow recognizable stylistic trends anyway.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

huh?

does your front door swing outward? That would put the hinge pins on the outside, people usually consider that a security risk.

We should probably set up an FAQ about this, given how regularly this gets discussed

The Nordic countries typically mandate outwards facing doors since the 1800s, after a number of incidents where dozens of people died in fires or stampedes in churches that had doors that opened inwards.

And no, our front doors can't be stolen off the house because the hinges have built-in jamb pins.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

FCKGW posted:

If your door opens outward do you put your screen door on the inside? :ohdear:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

The rooflines also seem McMansion-style complicated and I suspect architects don't do a lot of joint detail drawings for them.