Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Blistex posted:

Here's a new one. My grandparents have been living in their newly built house for about 4 months now and have just gotten the laminate flooring in the basement installed. I go over to take a look and "drat it looks nice"! They're finishing the basement and have it all drywalled, doors hung, laminate laid, and all they have to do is get the trim put in and the ceiling tiles put in (but that can wait until the central vac piping is installed). I'm walking around and notice that there is a 1/8" gap between the drywall and the laminate at one end of the basement and a 1/2" gap at the other end.

"Not too bad I guess. The baseboard trim should cover that."
Just an FYI, I install drywall for a living in the winter as my main occupation is seasonal in my area and this is completely normal. The most important joints in the drywall are where the ceiling meets the walls and any seams in a wall or ceiling. There has to be a gap some where and if the framing isn't perfect it will land crooked somewhere, the best place being the bottom. That way no one has to tape it (the finishers) and after trim it won't be seen. Some times we have 2" gaps at one end down to 1/4" at the other. This is new construction even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

Is that a reference to the movie House, or something else?

Actually the TV series.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Coasterphreak posted:

My guess is the mortar is the perfect consistency to be easily workable and still cure in the time it takes to lay three (or however many) rows and take a smoke break while the scaffold monkeys bump it up a level. Probably also subject to climate, structure size, skill of the mason, etc.

This. And let me tell ya when you as a laborer do not mix to the required consistency you will be told. The guy I worked for could tell instantly what you did wrong wether it was too much/too little sand, too much/too little water, didn't let it set up long enough/too long before dumping the mixer ect. And most masons are very vocal about it. But nothing feels better than having your mason use the last of his mud on the last board to lay the last block on the buck and turn around to see his pointer and finish brush waiting on him.