Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Those are old phone jacks actually. Before the world had the modern wonder of RJ-11 we had these:

Man, that takes me back to when I was a small child in the early 80s, going to my aunt's house and seeing those jacks everywhere. Of course, by then, she had these adapters for modern phone lines:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I've never really ventured into this section of CC, but I'm glad I did. There are lots of great threads such as this one.

Story: my friend moved into a nice home built in the early 70s, and before she bought it, she had two house inspectors go over the home, one more anally than the other. Each house inspector was completely different in their findings, but luckily, there was nothing majorly wrong with the house, just nickel and dime things that are quick and easy to fix, and each inspector said it's in great shape considering its age. Now that she's moved in, I've found quite a few terrible electrical things wrong with the house the inspectors never mentioned. Examples as follows:

* one outlet in the master bedroom was finicky, and an outlet in each of the other bedrooms didn't work at all. I suspected the non-working outlets were daisy-chained from the finicky outlet, and come to find out, the hot wire was disconnected from that outlet and only made contact when you pushed on the outlet to scrape the wire :stare: I blame the lovely push-in method of wiring instead of screwing the wires on. I went to each outlet and made sure each wire was screwed on instead of pushed in, and that fixed everything. Both inspectors had used receptacle testers in each outlet. How the gently caress did they miss this?

* the bedrooms don't have built-in lighting, but instead work on switched outlets for lamps. Each bedroom had had those particular outlets and switches replaced prior, but whoever installed them didn't break off the tab on the hot side of each outlet to create a dual circuit outlet (one switched socket on top and one hot socket on the bottom). Again, testers. Did these dudes not flip the switch and see nothing happen or something?

* I hooked up the swamp cooler a few weeks ago, and when I looked at the exterior outlet for the motor and pump, it looked like poo poo. The weatherproof cover was broken and half-missing, the outlet itself was weathered and internally oxidized, and I poo poo you not, when I plugged the motor and pump into the outlet just to test the cooler, the drat outlet practically cracked and crumbled into several pieces. I bought a new weatherproof cover and outlet to replace the hosed ones, but the box was rusted and both screws that hold the outlet broke off in the box. With a new box added to the mix, everything is brand new up there and finally up to snuff and working. That is a huge goddamn thing to overlook since the cooler side of the outlet is 250 volts. You do not gently caress around with voltage like that, especially when it's outside. Pretty sure it was like that for years judging by how badly weathered everything was, too.

* several outlets were cracked and broken, but still working. That was probably good enough for the inspectors, huh? If it works, stamp an OK on the paperwork. I've since replaced them all.

So yeah, it looks like the inspectors around here don't really give a poo poo about electrical when doing their inspections. No crawlspace/wall inspections or inspecting wiring and boxes, either, it seems. If the switch turns on a light, that's a checkmark. if you plug a receptacle tester into one socket of an outlet and it says it's okay, that's a checkmark for each room and outlets within. Showerhead in one bathroom could use a little caulking on the wall to seal it properly? "You're gonna have to rip out all of the plumbing throughout the house and completely renovate both bathrooms if you want this house to pass inspection."

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Bad Munki posted:

Here's the list:

1) "Is willing to make an attempt."
2)

My folk's home with splitters upon splitters upon more splitters followed by one more splitter for the modem that's for both the Internet and phones will attest to that list. Just a clusterfuck of cabling and splitters on the outside and inside of their house that Comcast could have resolved both aesthetically and practically with just two more minutes of work and thought. Then my parents wonder why the cable is always pixelating and the modem is always dropping; it's all that loving signal loss from the splitters.

Gonna redo their house soon with one 6 or 8 port splitter (with two termination caps) and a drop amplifier, and possibly even move the cables to inside the crawlspace and walls to get rid of the cable outside of the house once and for all. Should be a fun thing to do :shepface: