Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, I absolutely cannont imagine living anywhere without air conditioning? And why should I?
Probably mostly a byproduct of living in Florida, where it's normally 90+ with with 90% humidity.

But yeah, I can't even get to sleep if it's hotter than 76* in the house.
I also work on ACs for a living so there's that. I work outside for 8+ hours in the heat and humidity, so that can get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, having a proper installer, someone who knows what they're doing, how to set things up, and how to check for maximum efficiency is going to help you out in the long run more than anything.
But a lot of people are just concerned about cost so they pay some hack 1/4 of the price to slam a cheapo Goodman unit in there and call it a day.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I think you have bedtime clothes confused with Wal-Mart formal wear my friend

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Shifty Pony posted:

Air conditioning rules but I really don't understand the people that keep it cranked to insanely low temperatures. Here in Texas unless you have a medical condition you should be able to deal with 85 degrees no problem so why on earth do people keep their A/C set to 72 all day? I hear people complain about $300-$400 per month electric bills sometimes.

On the flip side natural gas is so loving cheap here there isn't an economic reason to not have your house at tropical island temperatures all winter.

Do you mean 85 degrees inside the house? Because that is absolutely ludicrous for an inside temperature.
Here in FL you'd be so hot and everything would be sticky thanks to humidity.

And while 72* is pretty cool for a house, pretty much and restaurant or store you go into will be set for 72*. Turns out humans are most comfortable in the mid 70s!

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 8, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I think you'd be surprised about how much ac restaurants use. A little mom and pop place might have one zone of ac, but pretty much any regular place will have a deticated kitchen unit and 3-4 units for the floor.

If they're really serious about keeping the kitchen cool they'll even have a contidioned make up air unit.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's loving weird what the human body can acclimate to, and equally weird what individual people are unable to acclimate to. I'd love to see some stats on perceived heat and comfort correlated with various factors like volume of sweat produced controlled for time and temperature. I figure there have to be some genes involved, like the thermal version of that gene that makes cilantro taste like soap, or the one that makes skunk smell good.

Yeah, it's weird. I sweat in anything over 80* or so, but I have zero problems ever going from 0* WIF to 72* Store to 110* Rooftop within the span of about 5 mins. All day 'erry day.
But I also can't sleep if its higher than 75* and I have to have a ceiling fan running. The human body is weird.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It'll be fine. This thing's handle getting wet extremely well. If anything it'll probably help it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

peanut posted:

I see ac in much tighter gaps here, but if you really care, build a little hut for your ac.

This is a great way to fry your compressor!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Even still, unless you put the roof 4-5' up your still just going to cause all the hot air to recirculate back through the coil.

So you'll need to blow all the air out the bottom. May I suggest remounting it like so:

:shepface:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So which RTU was that hooked up to?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Suspect Bucket posted:

HOA's can be good or bad. The HOA in my development is dumb, but equally strict across the board. Everyone has to keep the yard mowed, no wrecked cars in the driveway, no lovely paint. Pool looks nice and the shrubs are trimmed. I recently drove through a development built by the same company, in a cheaper area but really up-and-coming area. Same houses, same age, holy poo poo ugly. Very few people bothered to mow or landscape, paint looked tatty, busted cars in driveways. Now, If you have a front yard and fence and space between houses, you can do whatever the hell you want. But when people are trying to live on top of each other in suburban harmony without fences and big common areas, an HOA is a must. If you want your HOA to be better, join it yourself and affect positive change in your neighborhood!

Now. Do I like living in a development? No. Do I have to right now? Yes! Can I make my situation better by becoming active in my community? Double yes! And that's how I became captain of the neighborhood watch.

This is pretty much true. The place I live in now has a a lot of rules, but man do they make it great to live here. They have landscapers out pretty much every other day, the whole complex gets repainted like every other year, if something breaks, they fix it either the same day or next day. Only downside is you're technically not supposed to work on cars in any way, but they don't enforce that. And I can't park my work van at home, but apparently that's a city thing, so it's whatever. Commercial vehicle bans are dumb, but not much I can do about it atm.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Apparently plain white vans are allowed, but since mine has lettering and a roof rack, it's a no go. I could keep it if I could fit it in the garage, but it's already taller than the garage without the ladder rack, so lol.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I do commercial HVACR work here in Florida.

You can put a gallon bucket under a condensate drain of an RTU here and watch in fill up in about 10 minutes. Humidity is crazy bad here.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

God I wish.

The problem here in FL with condensate lines, at least on rooftop units, is that no one wants to spring for hard copper lines, so everything is made out of pvc.

PVC + Hot Florida Sun = Melty saggy drain lines = indoor rainstorm.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Also, in the future, don't pour bleach in your condensate lines.

A hose blast is enough to clear out all the slime that forms in the line, and bleach is bad for the evap coils.

Not much that can be done if the line isn't sloped properly though. :v:

Time to run a new line!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I've got a HVAC thread and crappy construction thread tale!

So one of our accounts is for a multi-million dollar steakhouse chain that's local to the area. You'd think they'd wanna make sure everything is up to code and well maintained right?

YOU'D BE WRONG.

These are the cheapest motherfuckers, and have some of the oldest, grossest, most jerry-rigged poo poo out of all our accounts.
So enter their HQ. They work out of a warehouse. Front half is offices, the back half has storage, a few WIC/WIF and a test kitchen.
It looks something like this:

So there's one staircase up. See that wall? There's no way to access the other side when you're on the second floor. If you wanna get up on the other side of the dividing wall, you have to set up a ladder.
Keep this in mind for later.

So I'm there on a call because their main WIF is down. They have 4 seperate systems that run it. 4 condensers, 4 evaps, which is smart, since it won't totally go down if something fucks up., which happened in this case.
They had two condensers down. One was totally flat, turns out it had a leak right at the hand valve at the condenser outlet. No big deal, braze in a new ball valve and drier and it's good to go.

The other one however, had a a compressor that was toast. Okay, this sucks, especially since THIS is the compressor it has:

And the condensing unit is crammed in the corner like so:

So there's about 4 feet of space between the floor and the ceiling. Exactly what you want when lifting a 300lb compressor!

So other great hits of this place include:
An indoor package unit!

So right above the offices they have a package unit that's like 20 years old that the managed to cram in there.
Something like this:

So the condenser fan is totally covered up and inaccessible due to a large section of duct that they placed over it to vent the hot air to the roof. The compressors are also inaccessible since they have it facing the the low side of the roof. In order to replace anything, you have to remove the sides, condenser coil, and ducting for the fan. A compressor went out, we wrote up to replace it, with a split system.

They elected to use their internal AC guy to replace it with another package unit. :suicide:

Now, on the other side of the dividing wall there they have 3 split systems. Each on of them has their condensing unit crammed into the very corner of the roof for maximum inaccessibility.
The airhandlers are somewhat more accessible, but still require a hike across the top of the warehouse to get to.

So naturally, one started leaking, and since the float switches don't work, it overflowed and filled up the auxillary pan. (And the aux float switch doesn't work either) and started dripping down into the office.
Now, a smart move would be to pipe in an additional drainline, and put in a ball valve so you drain the 40 gallons or so of water that built up. Nope!

In this case, you had to vacuum it all up, hike the bucket across the warehouse, navigate your way over a sketchy as gently caress railing, down a ladder, and then pour the bucket out outside.
5 gallons at a time. I was not happy by the end of that day.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Geirskogul posted:

Why...Why not a garden hose and siphon it out? Or at least down to a bucket?

Because I don't have 300' of garden hose in my truck.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

peanut posted:

Hell yeah just go for it

What was the thought process for this?
Extreme flood preparation?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

460V 3 Phase for that real deep clean. :science:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

As an HVACR tech, gently caress both of those things.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Enourmo hit it on the head pretty much. I specifically got into commercial work so I WOULDN'T have to wade through waist high weeds to get to a unit! :argh:

Also, I don't what it is about white roofs, but the seem to collect super slippery algae crazy fast. Probably just because around here roofers seem to slap that durolast rubber stuff over the existing roof with no thought for whats underneath it. Leading to water pooling and stuff growing. That and white roofs are reflective and bright as gently caress.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

RE: Dryer Vents

This honestly one of the best solutions I've seen to the dryer vent issue. Seen this in person in a few of the supply houses:

http://www.magventllc.com/page/homepage

Yeah, I don't who the genius who decided that a bunch of ribbed metal was a good idea for lint delivery was, but he's an idiot.
When I build my house it'll using one of these + nice smooth metal tubing to get the heat outside.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

TerminalSaint posted:

As someone who gets annoyed by a 2" gap between a facade and the ground, these columns make me want to punch someone.

Whyyyyyyyy

Was that 3 feet of stone too expensive? Just run it to the grouuuund. :argh:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Is there ever one of these things that isn't sketchy as gently caress?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

All that loving ostentatious stuff and they still have a CRT in the bedroom? :psypop:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Reminds me of Dale Gribble's watch-tower from King of the Hill.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Mom discovers one neat trick college students have used for years:

http://shareably.net/diy-cinder-projects/?utm_source=smob&utm_medium=facebook&utm_content=268&utm_campaign=smob&umtscde=le27

BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE CINDERBLOCK

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

In the grim etsy future, houses will only be furnished with cinderblocks and used pallets.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

there wolf posted:

I have a whole wall of sweet, cinderblock style in my room.

It's kind of lame because I can't hang poo poo on it.

Tapcons and a hammer drill my friend.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

As an HVAC Guy, IF I have to do plumbing I use either sharkbites or just brazing rod.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

These new FAA high regulations are getting out of hand.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Oh what the gently caress. The most frivolous of lawsuits

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

We're getting into "And I had to walk up hills both ways to school in the snow" territory here.

Remember, just because you can do something, doesn't mean it's optimal.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

spog posted:

Look great on the outside, falling down on the inside

But what is the state of London Bridge? :ohdear:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yup. After the Mold Rush.

That's more or less exactly the plot too.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Collateral Damage posted:

The Lustron houses look like they were the inspiration for the pre-war houses in Fallout 4.

They almost certainly are.

Living in Florida though, the idea of an all metal house sounds like a nightmare. I know it said they had some {very thin) insulation, but I can only imagine how much heat those things would absorb sitting in the sun all day.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Because everything in that kitchen is of the "This was on sale at Home Depot" collection.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Oh you all have never build something using an orphan before. I mean, maybe not the whole thing.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Eh, that's certainly one of more visually appealing ways of doing it. At least the tried to match it up with the house a bit, instead of doing the big ol' box stapled on the side of the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Lime Tonics posted:

I think this is wrong guys,

click for bigger.

No kidding, that lineset/wiring run to the condenser is awful!

And there doesn't appear to be any pad under it either. Shameful.