Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Look at all that wasted space. Could have fit another shelf into each one easily.

And rhyming "varnish" with "finished", really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a house like that in my town, except it's right in the main pedestrian zone, in a huge tourist area. Whoever owns the place could probably make a killing in rent for the apartments and ground floor shops, instead it's falling apart so badly that the town has had to put up a sign saying "it doesn't belong to us, we're trying to do something about it but our hands are tied." And also "for the love of god don't go in."

Granted, that means at this point it would probably take a considerable outlay to get it fixed up enough so you can rent it out again.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Every one of those I've ever seen was controlled by the light switch. Usually in a way that they keep going for a few minutes after you've left, but I've had one that was just either both on or both off.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yep, Europe. Always made sense to me. You don't want to leave the light on and waste electricity just to keep the bathroom fan going.

Are windowless bathrooms common in the US, or is it just an added convenience to have a bathroom fan? Over here I've pretty much only seen it in windowless bathrooms.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I remember my rich friends had a pantry. Was like a walk-in closet but just filled with canned goods, chips, granola bars, pasta, industrial sized sacks of flour and sugar and other dry goods. I had to ask my friend if his parents were like survivalists or something.
And then there's cases like my one friend back in school whose parents had a snack cabinet where we regularly unearthed poo poo with best before dates 5+ years back. And, like, stuff with a fairly good shelf life to begin with. Never actually opened any of it, which just contributes to the problem, really. They were also fairly well off...

I actually just moved into a place with a large kitchen and I'm very happy about the storage space. Right above the range there's this huge cabinet that's only an inch or two deep because the hood duct runs behind it, but they installed some shelves in there, and I don't know if it's meant for that but it's fantastically handy for spices.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Holy poo poo, those loose wood blocks. I'm crying. Picturing the guy trying to work up the nerve to steal one of those mobile stairs vehicles from an airport and suddenly spotting a Home Depot.

Reminds me of the shithole I used to live in, where they dug up the empty lot in front of two houses to build a new one, and really the entire lot. What had been street-level front doors suddenly were second floor. They installed some very steep provisional wooden stairs and kept them up for close to a year. They started visibly deteriorating after maybe four months. They also only put down a few boards as a pathway through the pit, and only after people complained because it turned into ankle-deep mud when it rained, and never bothered to install a light. It was fun coming home from work in winter, stumbling down the access ramp and guessing what the builders had left where today. Oh and the builders didn't give a single poo poo that their pit was also the only means of access to the houses behind and more than once I had to dodge an excavator or wait until they'd got their vehicles out of the way.

e: yeah, evac routes were a concern. I mean, wood stairs.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

With that particular window location I don't see a configuration I'd call optimal, although all others do have the advantage that you can open at least one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Do that with one window so you can open one from the inside, reach around and open the other one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Obvious trap. The soap dish is connected to the mains.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

How do you turn on off the sink?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I want to see the parallel universe British version of Back To The Future. "Marty, start the car when the EastEnders credits roll, and you'll hit the power line right in time for the initial surge."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

kizudarake posted:

"Doc, you don't just walk into a store and-and buy plutonium! Did you rip that off?"
"Of course. From a group of IRA terrorists. They wanted me to build them a car bomb, so I took their plutonium and, in turn, gave them a shoddy bomb casing full of used fruit machine parts."
I'd be pretty okay with it if the time travel angle was just one of four plots in a Guy Ritchie gangster movie.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Crappy Construction Tales: Four Yorkshiremen Edition

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's a terrible setup, you can barely see from the left row.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

Even I can make better concrete than that.
Without trying, right?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just off for a pint to The Horse and Splashback.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One guy needs to take a piss, another wants to wash his hands, I think as long as it's not clear what these things are for anyway they can work out a little mutual benefit and save water to boot.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think it's gonna be worth the trouble to track down an adapter for the Australian one's inverted threading.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Even if the gas is off I'd not keep all that cardboard next to a hot line.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

packetmantis posted:

I live in Georgia and have a medical condition that makes it extremely uncomfortable and possibly dangerous for me to hang out in anything much above 72 f. :negative: AC bills rock.
Dave's Syndrome is no joke :(

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I didn't know they even made bunk double beds.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well that at least isn't such a big concern when the previous owner just rips out the heater and pipes for scrap cash :v:

also seriously that is a lot of turtles.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I see the zipline goon is expanding his business.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I bet that's fun in the summer.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The guy says he's gonna work on a railing right in the video and also mentions how much plywood he needed and that it was significantly cheaper than prefab steel steps (albeit without labour).

Can you imagine building up three or four steps and then finding one sheet that you suddenly realize you should have used in step #1?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't even want to think about how much CNC runtime was involved, or the amount of finish work to get that much plywood to actually turn out nice without veneering it.
He's using this tiny detail sander to finish every one of those tiny steps on the underside. I like "zone out" work as much as the next guy, but I don't think I could muster the motivation to even get started on that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shoulda drafted a plan where they'd just land the planes directly on the top level.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When you want to be like the goon who pissed through a knothole in his floor, but more civilized.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man, the budget cuts hit Hogwarts hard.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You spend millions on a house made entirely of brown, but not like 50 cents on a cable duct for that TV corner?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOPxZuzqxm4

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I recently read an article about the set design on some show set in the 80s and every picture looked like that bedroom.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Best one.

e: vvv to be honest, it is a little too good to be true. Like there's loving up, and then there's this. but i want to believe

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 13, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hey, water is conductive. Nothing can go wrong with this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

possibly straight up the neighbor's equally ridiculous driveway
gently caress yeah, halfpipe

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

This is a lot less fun in retrospect, after the fire has already consumed the building and dozens have died:
http://www.oaklandghostship.com/
Those are some photos of the warehouse / art studio space / illegal artist living space / illegal rave venue that burned down in Oakland. One thing the news reports mentioned in particular was that the stairs to the second floor were made from pallets. The city had investigated it for blight and illegal use as a residence before but inspectors couldn't get inside for some reason.
Goes to show that fire marshals aren't just there to ruin everyone's fun.
This bums me out because it looks like a super nice place :(

... of course, now that it's happened, I can't help but think about all the wiring that has to have run through the place. Don't know if that's what caused the fire, but it comes to mind is all.

Either way, pallet stairs strike me as a... special approach to fire safety.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 6, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My landlord not only stores his personal poo poo at the bottom of the stairwell, but also demands the (only) house door be locked at night. One of the guys who helped us move in was a fireman and he pretty much just went "... right."

I ain't locking poo poo, by the way.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Why wouldn't you lock your door at night?
Partly because if there is a fire, you would have to dig for the house key, or worse go back for it, to get out of the house. Locks that open from the inside without the key in an emergency are available, but we don't have one of those.

Oh I should probably mention: apartment building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

It's fine, I keep a power drill in the stairwell to drill out the lock in case of fire.
Well poo poo, maybe my landlord had it figured out all along and keeps one in his stairwell pile o' crap.