Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

I don't know. They made a toilet that couldn't flush worth poo poo, let alone poo poo (the Cimmaron), so: aside from (manual) faucets, I'm casting a skeptical eye.

This post and subsequent replies along the same lines are completely baffling to me. I have used a total of four Kohler Cimmaron (round not oblong FWIW) in both my current and previous homes. I have never had them clog, fail to flush completely, or require any parts /maintenance over about a 6 and 4 year period, respectively.

I bought them at Home Depot, so by all normal standards they are the absolute dogshit garbage tier of any Kohler product I should be able to purchase... :shrug:

The only thing I can think of is whether people are aware that the flush mechanism puts out more water per flush (up to the capacity of the tank) the longer it is held down. So for those king-sized dumps, hold it down for few seconds and it will drop the entire tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Sorry, wrong thread, this is awesome. There is crappy construction and there is clever construction. This is the latter, clearly someone had a problem that needed to be solved as cheaply as possible with materials on-hand and did so in a way which is both user friendly and efficient.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Dareon, have you thought about maybe using the goon fund to address some of the more pressing issues you've mentioned in your write-up? I don't know what Alaskan winters are like but frankly it seems like you've spent the better part of your life cheating death by near exposure and maybe taking a few bucks to increase your survival chances wouldn't be a bad thing.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

That carved door was gorgeous, what the gently caress who would get rid of that

I hope they at least sold it on and didn't just throw it in a chipper :ohdear:

You would hope so, much like I sincerely hoped that my brother in law and sister sold on the entire house worth of 1'-2' floorboards removed out of their 1600's saltbox....

...you would likely, much like I was, be horrified to find out that no, in fact it was all put into a dumpster and taken to a landfill. :psyboom:

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Owner was wondering why any water use results in massive temperature changes in the shower.

This is violence. mods!?!

I had several spasms looking at that travesty. It is an affront to god.

Seriously how does anyone do that, stand back and think "yup looks good!"

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Maybe you could get away with that with 3/4" and really good water pressure from the source, but when everything is 1/2" running ~50' from a really cheap water pump, and there are 5 "T" connections between it and your shower. . .

Manifolds. They are a thing. They don't even cost that much ffs. Pex is cheap as poo poo. There can be good reasons to t off of 1/2 feed like in a retrofit but come on this is wide open.

I get it, people are dumb as hell and the fact that PEX plus those Sharkbite fittings' availability at home depot and lowes have turned every jackass into a plumber. But this is just straight idiocy mixed with indolence.

I'm not a plumber but I've successfully replumbed a whole house with upnor and it sure as poo poo didn't look like this crap

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

:stare:

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Absolutely total replacement.

Junction boxes can take a surprising amount of punishment. Well before the Zippo stage, lights would be flickering, breakers would trip, etc. The real fun starts as it's drying out.

Beg to differ. The only reason that I found the total extent of water damage in my panel was when I had the cover off to put in a new circuit. Wife had just started a load of laundry, and the well pump kicked in while I was standing there. The arcing going on between the breaker and bus was very impressive but tripped nothing and there were no visual cues like flickering.

When I got the breaker out it looked like someone had taken a mig welder to the bus clamps and surrounding plastic. Panel replacement moved to the top of the to-do list that day.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Getting very strong Bohemian Grove vibes from this. It's like the totem you need to to complete the Incineration of Belongings ceremony.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Scrolling this page while eating breakfast and when I hit those cabinets, just slowly stopped chewing.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Amazing on so many levels.

1: there is nothing easier to remove to paint than a faceplate.

2: they knew about the concept of painters tape but absolutely misunderstood it.

3: they still got paint all over the faceplates.

I hate this video so much. It kills my faith in people more so than other worse things.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Apparently cedar 6 x 6 posts are not up to code for porch supports. I can get an engineer to sign off on them for $500.

Just bought 4 PT posts. :(

That blows, I remember paying through the nose for cedar 4x4s on my deck railing, cannot imagine what 6x6 costs.

If you want to help the PT blend in with the rest of the structure I can't recommend this stuff enough in Bronze Cedar. https://seal-once.com/product/marine-premium-wood-sealer/

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

... but will move the shower head when I remodel.

As someone who is 6'6", this was on the list for when I remodeled my bathroom and it is glorious. Nothing worse than a mid-body shower spray.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

What exactly am I looking at here, is this stucco or foam?

The tool he's using seems like it would be useful for drywall repair if it was sharp enough. I've thought for a while about trying to design a depth-set razor cutter which would allow you to trench out drywall cleanly in the width of standard drywall tape / mesh, so that when you patch something it sits flush to the rest of the wall (and avoiding the awful feathering-in effect). This tool kind of looks like that...

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I have no idea what tool he's using but what you're describing for drywall is completely and totally unfeasible because you can't just cut through the paper and hope for the best.

Patching drywall properly is not hard, and doesn't require a novel technique. People have been doing it for many decades.

The typical novice issues are a combination of using too small/narrow of a knife and not feathering out far enough. You can not properly fix a patch with a pint can of light joint compound and a 1.5" plastic scraper. That's for filling nail holes when you're moving our of your rental.

I don't know, I've had pretty decent luck cutting the paper (at an angle, with a razor) such that the tape is below the surface of the paper by a slight amount, then going over the patch with hot mud. Obviously there are a million scenarios where this goes horribly wrong though.

In other drywall annoyances, whoever invented this dogshit ("Textured wall paint") needs to be executed:

https://homefixated.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/drywall-textures-004-813x607.jpg

If you have the misfortune to have this trash applied to your walls, do not do anything other than tear the drywall out and start fresh. Thank me later.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

oh my god is that a hypocaust? I didn't know people still made those, it was invented by the romans, but I thought they were also only for indoor structures

e.

they built little fireplaces and engineered the airflow so hot air would be drawn under the floors to heat them

It looks to me like this is being laid over a rubber roof of some kind. I think that the purpose of this is to create a cheap, nice looking roof covering with the possible secondary factor of creating a heat barrier (kind of like a micro-attic) between the roof membrane and the sun-heated surface.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Vim Fuego posted:

Crappy construction as artistic commentary on house flipping

This sucks so bad. This image is causing me physical discomfort and also makes me irrationally angry. The person who did this or ordered it done should be jailed.

Right thread.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

mycomancy posted:

Update: apparently the plumbing in this house used the cheapest dog poo poo PVC available in the early 80s, which is now becoming brittle. Too brittle, in fact, to work on, as turning anything will fracture the solvent joints.

I have to get my whole house repiped. Cost:$18k

gently caress me and gently caress this stupid world.

Mmmmm this is definitely a situation where you need to get 2 more guys out there - without telling them about what you've been told already - for second and third opinions. Sure, is the right thing to do replumb? Yes. Is it something that needs to be done now? Maybe, but get some other opinions. If things really are too brittle to work on, fine, but they make Sharkbite fittings that could be used - carefully - to avoid further damage. Example: https://www.sharkbite.com/us/en/brass-push-to-connect/fittings/couplings/push-to-connect-pvc-transition-coupling

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

I've heard of repiping a house with Pex as not being so bad since you can just pull it through, so less intrusive for drywall and cutting holes in the structure.

This, right here. Pex is a godsend and literally impossible to do wrong if you have the proper tools, read the manual, and have a few functioning brain cells. I redid my cousin's entire house in Pex-A (expansion) and it took us 3 nights total. Admittedly that was with the ceilings down but still, to redo it in copper would have taken us weeks.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

HolHorsejob posted:

I used to dismiss pex outright until I got my current job which involves doing a ton of copper brazing. How is it working with pex? Part of me cringes at the thought of trying to get a crimping tool into a tight spot in a wall, but that's canceled out by the other cringe from memories of soldering those joints instead.

Does the oxygen permeability ever cause problems?

To me, the hardest part of working with PEX is wrangling the actual pipe. When it is coiled up it is like wrestling a snake and gets progressively harder the bigger the diameter. However, I'm a homeowner and don't have one of those coil reel things that helps manage it so maybe it's easier w/ one of those. Crimping is for the birds, IMO, Upnor PEX-A is where it's at: https://www.uponor.com/en-us/residential-solutions#plumbing. There are a bunch of nice expansion tools which have tiny heads to fit in very small spaces. I'm poor so I just use an old-fashioned hand expander. Another awesome feature of PEX is that you generally don't need elbow fittings except in very tight turns, you can just bend the pipe and hold it there using a bend support.

Oxygen permeability is absolutely a thing, and a problem, but there are several different types of oxygen-barrier PEX. I used this when I ran an additional heating loop in my basement: https://www.uponor.com/en-us/products/pipe/wirsbo-hepex

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’m not saying you’re wrong, and emphatically do not have the background to say one way or the other. poo poo you’re probably 100% correct.

But I am also in awe at this load bearing caveat.

Yeah, this is a gross oversimplification. All bets are off with the crimp systems. I will say that expansion PEX is very difficult to screw up with modern expansion tools. If you can A: cut the pipe at a 90 degree angle, B: put the expansion ring on and push it until it stops, C: run the expansion tool for the prescribed number of brrraps, and D: push the pipe onto the fitting until it stops, and hold it there for 5-10 seconds, then congratulations, you too can run PEX like a pro!

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

moist turtleneck posted:

The Honda dealer rips out the JIS bolts in the brake rotors in my partners car every time

Those are assembly screws and serve no function other than ensuring that the rotors don't fall off inadvertently during the build process. What you describe is very common among dealers / mechanics since those POS screws seize like crazy and don't provide any meaningful function to the average mechanic.

Source - 15 years of continuous Honda ownership and about that many brake jobs on Hondas.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
What Cat Hatter said. I'm also struggling to come up with a scenario where a new rotor isn't on the hub square that doesn't involve an enormous amount of rust or a defective rotor. In either case you'd be experiencing an incredible amount of shuddering when you applied the brakes.

Side note that good rotors are becoming really hard to source in our capitalist hellscape. I recently had two major failures of Centric premiums after less than 24 months. I had never seen an actually visibly warped rotor before then.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
The Joker-like laughing should be enough to knock it down. Maybe this was found footage from a phone in the rubble, we don't know!!

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

No. No!

Why is the insulation melted on the far right? :ohdear:

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
That story is just bananas. I don't understand how people can be so disconnected from their day to day reality that they wouldn't somehow grasp that maybe, just maybe, things weren't being done properly when they noticed a missing chimney. I'm really hoping that this was an absentee landlord or very elderly person scenario....

Also, I'll just leave this here as a warning to others.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
The thing is that when I was getting accosted by solar city reps in Home Depot literally every time I went there from 2010-2016ish, that was when I knew this poo poo was a naked loving scam. Did people think that these companies were "paying" (I assume there was some fuckery here like being 100% commissions based) these college kids to hassle me while I'm looking for outlet covers out of some sense of moral obligation to arrest climate change or something? Never had any solar door-to-door, maybe I just wasn't in the neighborhood for it or something. The whole thing just came across as very predatory and I have to just chalk it up to 50% of people being below average that this stuff ever got the traction it did. It makes used car sales look good.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Wibla posted:

I've had the same experience with (IT) architects. One of which just booked a 30 minute meeting with me early next week to tell me all about how he's about to lift and shift all of our poo poo into the cloud instead of replacing our aging virtualisation rig. They even claim we'll save money doing this. I wish I was joking.

I need more alcohol :suicide:

If you guys aren't a Proxmox /Hyper-V / AHV shop, wouldn't VMware's recent price gouging actually lend some credence to your architect's claims?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

hellotoothpaste posted:

Crappy Construction: I do not like the hole