Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Some strikingly beauitful illustrations of why one should hire a good home inspector.
http://www.startribune.com/top-20-home-inspection-photos-from-2016/410726955/
I looked at the 2014 pictures from the links at the end, and:

Nice and toasty.

And from 2013:

quote:

Soffit Bone – This was a flipped house in Minneapolis that had a bone sticking out of the soffit right above the front door. Why? How? No idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"gently caress it, this is faster and we're not being paid enough to care. :effort:"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Phanatic posted:

Cheapass vacation shack in a national park, I believe.

It gets better. Here's a shot from the kitchen.

See that sliding door? That's the door to the shower. Or to the toilet. But notably, not to both at the same time.
Pebbly textured floors, just what you want to clean food/grease spills off of.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
If you pull the cord hard enough, the fence shifts and reveals stairs to a bonus level.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
But see it's rustic and creative and upcycling. Worrying about things like 'poison' and 'structural integrity' is for the poors.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

canyoneer posted:

I'm going to spend thousands of dollar on furniture and decorations to evoke a folksy, simple, "country life" like I'm dustbowl farmer Hollis Brown living on the outside of town
Which is a hilarious contrast with the people who live 'folksy' and 'rustic' because they have to, who have normal-rear end houses. None of this stupid poo poo with words on everything or pallets turned into bookshelves.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Facebook Aunt posted:

http://www.thesunnysideupblog.com/2016/06/powder-bathroom-summer-refresh/
Looks like a normal half bath. :iiam:

See, perfectly normal. Shitter, sink, ugly ladder towel rack.
I loving love towel racks that fall over if you pull the towel off the wrong way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Bad Munki posted:

I hate wire shelving with a passion and I will irl fight anyone who thinks it's ever a good idea, come at me
It's a good idea if you're a college student who will use it for 4 years before tossing it. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Only the finest of An Arts for her lawyer foyer.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

NancyPants posted:

It would probably make a lot more trouble for them when they start charging people to look at photos for which they don't own the copyright.
Also people would probably stop using them as much. It's hard to convince people to start paying for something they used to get for free.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

WebDog posted:

Oh yeah. People move here from Europe and freeze as proper glazing and insulation is pretty uncommon especially in older places.

Especially the rental market with older properties that can't be easily fixed up.

Some places in Australia can get to a century old so no easy way to put in air con or heating if you like walls not to fall to bits when drilling through.
Especially if it hits heritage listing. Insulation back then was made of seaweed. A fantastically flammable material.

Thick walls usually were the go to keep cool during summer. but a place like that slowly heats up like a kiln.

Winter it just gets cold and stays cold.
No real insulation so the heat efficiency is horrible.

Mid century is a mix of fibro boarding and stucco. Oh and much of the insulation of the day was abestoes that was sprayed into roof cavities. Or used as lagging for insulation.

Newer places are not much better as some apartments are so badly designed they barely have decent air flow let alone natural light.
I can understand how old properties stay hosed up, but new ones? This isn't the 16th century, it's trivial to see what works worldwide and just copy it. :psyduck:

I shudder to think what the heating bills are like over there.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The rent is too damned high. We need to let people live in trucks, glorified cardboard boxes, and literal cardboard boxes instead of trying to fix the housing catastrofuck.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Phanatic posted:

And also because you're not allowed to build a building in San Francisco that's higher than 40 loving feet(*) because the people who already live there prefer having their unobstructed views to affordable housing.

(*) - with a few exceptions, like near AT&T Stadium, where you can go to a whopping 240 stories. Tall buildings also aren't allowed to put any city park into shadow for more than an hour before sunset or an hour after sunrise. There are also density limits. It's utterly retarded, density in a city is *good*. Instead SF's response to the housing crisis has been to do things that exacerbate it by disincentivizing building anything new.
I swear everything I read about Californian housing/rental markets makes it sound like they're trying to price everyone out of a home.

"NIMBYs wanted us to limit new development, so we did. NIMBYs also wanted us to limit building heights, so we did. Also we have a hosed up law that encourages all sorts of tomfoolery when buying/selling a house, just so you don't lose that sweet locked-in low property tax. Excuse us while we move in more tech bros and forget that people with lower incomes exist."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I know we're all focused on the drop ceiling, but check those sink cabinets. Why the ventilation slits? Afraid your toilet paper might suffocate in there?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

kid sinister posted:

And now onto the bathrooms:

HIS *teal, sharp angular pattern etched in mirror, plain tiles*

HERS *pink, gentler curving pattern in mirror, fancy tiles*

At least I'm assuming that's the batshit logic behind those countertop choices.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

WebDog posted:

What on earth is that white thing stuck under the cabinet? A radio?
For the complete 90s set, install a small CRT TV somewhere in the kitchen too.

quote:

I can't get over how aggressively non-coordinated that is. At least try to match the wood or something! Why are there two kinds of lights? Why doesn't the fan match anything else either?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

HERAK posted:

I never understand why when things like this happen they don't immediately attempt to unplug it and remove it from their hone.
Assumed thought process: :downs: It's just plastic, it's not like it can catch on fire or anything. :downs:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I think I have that exact lovely $10 floor lamp.

Except it's in the living room as god intended. Also in a structure that won't fall over if you look at it funny.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Man, what the hell is that roof made out of that they can fall through it so easily? :stare:
2 inch thick cardboard, from the looks of things. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm starting to think we as a nation gave up on good architecture after realizing there's no way to make a garage look good.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ohgodwhat posted:

Unfortunately, the people crying about it are wealthy donors and people with too much time on their hands.
Also people's intuitions about what improves parking & traffic(and what impact specific parking/traffic structures have on commerce) have basically zero relation to reality, and convincing them they're wrong is a bitch.

Trying to make roads safer by making them wider and straighter just leads to people driving faster & more recklessly, parking mandates waste a lot of space and make property more expensive, car-centric planning in general makes places less pleasant to live in(and rarely makes them more pleasant to drive in, counterintuitively enough), etc.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

timestamp posted:

Aug 6, 2017
:confused:

Did wallpaper come back in style without me noticing? I always figured it was one of those ancient trends people gladly buried, only seen in places that haven't been updated since the 50s.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm a filthy millenial surrounded by other filthy millenials who are mostly too broke to buy houses, so maybe wallpaper just isn't on our collective radar. :shrug:

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I bet there are plenty of average Americans who have spent their whole lives surrounded by four white drywall walls. It might explain a few things in these threads.
Or they paint their walls, like literally everyone(who isn't in an apartment that won't let them) around me does. Admitedly it's harder to do fancy patterns with paint, but considering how many godawful wallpaper patterns I've seen in old house photos...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Bonus round: Check out the old zillow listing with pics ripped from airbnb. They're trying so hard to get good angles for this poo poo.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

When I got there, some guy in a beat up pickup was riding out of the dump with the carpet rolls in the back of his truck.
But it's free! :downs:

Baronjutter posted:

I just have such a hard time understanding how people can live like that. Yeah I've seen shows like Hoarders, but tons of probably not mentally ill people just seem fine with filth and half the stuff in their house being broken. Like it just creeps up on them? But even a frog will in fact hop out of a pot once it gets too hot.
Another good bet is drugs. Hard to care about the dogshit smell when you're high all the time.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Selachian posted:

I'm the big jug of Lysol on the dresser with the deer heads.
Well how do you keep your deer heads clean, smartypants? :colbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've yet to see a home automation thing that was substantially better than just using a timer, maybe with different times for different days of the week (like your average 7-day thermostat).
Like a lot of pointless tech things, the purpose is to make the owner feel smart and on the cutting edge, not to be practical for anything.

The stuff that actually is practical is a lot less flashy and generally not over-complicated, so it's hard to brag about using it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Too literal?

They're supposed to be flowers, supposedly.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
From a couple pages back, which got lost in cookingchat, but:

Could someone explain what exactly is going on here? Is the water coming out that hot because of bad piping, or what? :psyduck:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

The_end posted:

Carpet is gross. Get rugs instead.
Seriously. I don't care how clean you think you are in your bedroom and living room. Your carpet is going to have unholy horrors under it after a few years. At least an area rug can be fully cleaned.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's not just terrible carpet, it's terrible carpet right next to a pool.

Wonder how many yards of mold are growing underneath that thing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

The Locator posted:

That monstrosity is only $375,000. drat.. just the lot would probably be double that or more anywhere even close to town around Phoenix.
It helps that it's in the middle of buttfuck nowhere.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

:thunk:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
But if they don't maintain the illusion of how much value they're (not) adding, a lot of people might not use realtors at all, or insist on ones that actually care about the client's interests! :ohdear:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I have another, even safer way:
1)Take a sledgehammer to those stairs.
2)Build new stairs.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

It is difficult for children and the elderly to use our stair. In addition, the handrails do not meet the baluster (vertical rail) requirements for residential stairs. Children could easily fall through the rails to the ground below.

quote:

"There’s a few caveats, though. Falls on this steep pitch could be serious, so the handrail is important. Using the handrail means you will only have one hand to carry things. And since people aren’t used to these stairs, they require PRACTICE. It might take just two or three uses to get that practice, but practice is essential. Several times I have observed a physically unfit and uncoordinated person taking their first trip down these stairs (you come down forwards just like on a regular stair), misjudging the second or third step, then stumbling a bit. They catch themselves with a hand on the handrail and then get down fine. After two or three uses they have no problem anymore. A physically coordinated person often has no stumbles at all."
Hmm, yes, if only more residental builds allowed you to install stairs that are dangerous to children and the elderly, that prevent you from carrying anything up them that requires two hands, and that you need actual practice to use.

Like I get that site's looking into it as a space-saving thing, but there's a reason the average home doesn't save space by using weird stairs.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 18, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
That can't be right, there's no mention of a mysterious alchemy circle in the basement.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm sorry I think you mean climate-controlled eco-homes with a fully finished basement.
Ideal for shift workers who don't need daylight disrupting their sleep cycles!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

If it started with me I was complaining mainly about the soot. But also people are dumb as poo poo and will burn their houses down.
And this is why apartments tend to have lovely electric stoves instead of gas ones(well, that and cutting costs by not having to run a gas line :v:). I'm pretty sure mine has a 'no candles' policy too, although it's obviously never getting enforced unless you're an idiot and something outside the candle gets burned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

GreenNight posted:

This has some good pictures about hosed up structural issues

https://imgur.com/gallery/xaUekm1
That guy's posted a lot of...interesting...stuff.

quote:

Did a structural assessment for this home and the lady was wondering why her home was sloping 7 inches. Some classic LA settlement.

quote:

May not look like much, but a single toddler jumps and that set of stairs and deck come down.

quote:

It may look somewhat stable..but touching it with a hammer would turn it to dust. Also, the pipe on the ground broke in half when we moved it.

quote:

Duct tape...It will work.

quote:

A car jack perhaps?

quote:

This is a first

quote:

Yeah...that's not legal.