Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
I do security, cameras and access control, so I see lots of spaghetti wiring, mickey mouse electrical work, crooked panels, panels mounted to walls with drywall screws NOT into studs, door frames turned into swiss cheese from failed electric-strike-installation attempts, fire alarm systems that will go into trouble just by looking at them wrong, you name it.

I am actually usually ashamed to say I do security system work because the work ethic of people in this field are absolutely poo poo by average. Maybe it's because the pay rate is so low usually (I have a fire alarm tech license and E.Tech diploma, so I do pretty well - but I've seen some pretty low paying jobs out there), but even the experienced security system guys are so messy with their work it's not funny. The bigger companies (ADT, Chubb, etc) are hit and miss (they're either really clean or REALLY REALLY messy), but the one and two-man companies seem to be the worst (consistently poo poo).

It's a good thing I'm looking into getting out of this lovely field (trying to get into air navigation communication systems).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

Just out of curiosity, then, do you have any recommendations for how to find a good company, or is it automatically a crapshoot?

Unless the company does commissioning of systems (none of them do, because there is no money in it), you're at the mercy of whatever tech(s) they send you. I've seen guys rip apart a phone demarc looking for a line to hook their security panel into, not reconnect anything, and take off before the customer realizes they have no phone, internet or fax connection anymore.

I'm mostly commercial, and haven't done residential in years. I'm not sure if residential is as bad. Companies basically make nothing from residential installs (sometimes they lose money on the install and gain it back on the monitoring contract), so I can't see residential security companies paying their techs much, which usually results in the same problem. It's pretty hard to gently caress up a home install though.