Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
My wife and I bought our first house in February, a split level five bedroom built in 1977. I've been replacing outlets older than I am that have left the wiring burned and charred, to illustrate what we've gotten ourselves into.

When we moved in, the master bathroom had a drop ceiling that was the only one in the house. My wife got sick of looking at it, and tore it out. Here's what was underneath it.

This appears to be a fluorescent fixture that had the bulb brackets removed from the housing, screwed into a wood beam, and then wired into the wall. For whatever reason a previous owner just slapped a drop ceiling up there instead of removing that weirdness. I'm guessing that it's still live too, I'll have to figure that out here soon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

SoundMonkey posted:

they installed a convenience light for when you're fishing wires in your ceiling, as one does daily or at least weekly, and you tore it out?

:v:

Depending on if that...thing is decommissioned or not, I may fish the wire through the ceiling properly and install a badly needed exhaust fan.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

mycomancy posted:

My wife and I bought our first house in February, a split level five bedroom built in 1977. I've been replacing outlets older than I am that have left the wiring burned and charred, to illustrate what we've gotten ourselves into.

When we moved in, the master bathroom had a drop ceiling that was the only one in the house. My wife got sick of looking at it, and tore it out. Here's what was underneath it.

This appears to be a fluorescent fixture that had the bulb brackets removed from the housing, screwed into a wood beam, and then wired into the wall. For whatever reason a previous owner just slapped a drop ceiling up there instead of removing that weirdness. I'm guessing that it's still live too, I'll have to figure that out here soon.

Well, I got around to checking this light with my multimeter.

It's live. :cripes:

How has this place not burned down?!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ElCondemn posted:

Sounds like they inadvertently created a logic gate circuit lol

That's impressively stupid if so.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

SoundMonkey posted:

if only they'd had a legend that witches couldn't pass through properly insulated walls

Oh, you're talking about witchwalls!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

kid sinister posted:

Something something always leave plenty of slack

What in the ever living gently caress... :magical:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

:stonk: what in the gently caress...

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Motronic posted:

Comment that came with the pic: "That's hosed up. Everyone knows that you are supposed to use 1/2" copper for a 30 amp disconnect"

Jesus loving Christ what is wrong with people?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Youth Decay posted:

Redneck engineering at its finest right here folks

Not gonna post all 42 photos in this thread but here's the exterior

$220k for that? Nope.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I hung wallpaper yesterday and trim today. gently caress both activities in hell forever.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Haifisch posted:

:confused:

Did wallpaper come back in style without me noticing? I always figured it was one of those ancient trends people gladly buried, only seen in places that haven't been updated since the 50s.

We have a house built in 1977. The living room and the two downstairs bedrooms both are laid out to have wallpaper hung over particular places on the drywall. Believe me, it's the least worst option.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Blue Footed Booby posted:

"LIVE LAUGH UNPROTECTED SODOMY"

Crappy Construction Tales: Home of the "LIVE LAUGH UNPROTECTED SODOMY" Wallhangings

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

peanut posted:

We never mowed the lawn in the duplex we rented for 2 years because we moved from out-of-state and didn't have a mower and didn't plan on buying one when we were already paying $2000/month for a 2 bedroom apartment and didn't ever really want or need to use a yard.
At least we took out our trash and dumped the kitty litter between the two 8-foot cinderblock walls between our place and the grocery store alley.
The parking lot was full of crushed grapefruits (ponderosa lemons?!) that no one cared to take care of. I finally know how to peel them, 15 years later...

This paragraph contains words but none of it makes sense to me.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Samizdata posted:

potentially toxic granite counters

To what are you referring?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Proteus Jones posted:

There have been concerns raised regarding radiation and/or radon outgassing.

E: Although I think only Llope at Rice is the one saying it's a serious concern.

That's why they make radon mitigation systems.:smug:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

I feel like there was some spousal bickering involved with this.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's so witches can't get in to your heating system.

Oh, you're talking about witchducts!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Drake_263 posted:

'Nuff said.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
In regards to those moldy walls, I would recommend a mix of sodium hydroxide and hydrogen peroxide. That will melt fungal tissue and even kill meiotic spores. In addition, id get a sander and grind the affected area AFTER the initial treatment, then repeat the treatment to ensure you've gotten it all.

Or just burn the place down.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

OOOOOOOOOOOH YEAAAAAAAAAH!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I had to replace my kitchen faucet because the idiots who owned this house didn't seal it properly so water rusted out the fixtures holding the faucet head to the basin. I found this under my sink.

There's a goddamn pipe loop under my sink! What purpose, if any, could this serve?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

cowofwar posted:

Maybe for a new sink or removed a dishwasher connection and they didn’t want to cut pipes.

More importantly, why is there a floating junction box in a wet area?

It's affixed to the wall as well as possible. When we bought the place it was dangling under a leaky pipe and had burned up the switching outlet. The people who had this place before us didn't do anything in terms of maintenance.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Extant Artiodactyl posted:

It's an outlet box and it's not floating, see, there's exactly one fastener holding it to the cabinet!

This guy gets it!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Slugworth posted:

It doesn't appear to be a gfi. Unless it's daisy chained off of one, you should definitely rectify that.

Sweet pipe screensaver though.

I've got a GFI upcurrent from that one. The goal is to get all of the electrical code violations solved before the end of the year. It's ambitious to say the least.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

tangy yet delightful posted:

This is America boyo, American's would barely have room to take their dick out in that room :911:

I rented a place in downtown Madison, WI that was a converted Victorian. The bathroom door was so narrow I had to enter at an angle because the door frame would hit my shoulders.

What a dump.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

What in the gently caress.

I couldn't even process what I was looking at for a couple of minutes.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The Twinkie Czar posted:

It seems like an especially terrible place to rush ahead without roads. I'm imagining troubles from "It's rained the past two days and now nobody will come to work because they won't make it back up the mud hill" to "That last guy was an idiot, there's no way we can grade the road like that. The only option is to run the road through where that house is standing".

You're exactly right, that's what happens on that red Ozark clay. I grew up about 100 miles east of where those houses are, and the geology of the place is nothing but clay and rust as far as the eye can see.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

kid sinister posted:

Better burn techbros then.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Indolent Bastard posted:

I helped a friend move this weekend.

I had no idea my friends were monsters.

jk they are lovely, but this did make me think immediately of this thread

I'm applying for a job at a university in a small Midwestern city, and the only decor more ubiquitous than this obnoxious poo poo are crucifixes.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

When you insist on eating dinner as a family but you also hate them

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Javid posted:

I call this one previousowner.jpg

Screwed a shelf into a window frame, managed to twist off the screw head, and just left it there to be uncovered later.

My entire house is loving previousowner.jpg. These lazy douchenozzles didn't replace anything in this house in the 25 years that they lived here, so now every minor cosmetic upgrade I try to do is a loving three ring circus.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Oh god

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

extravadanza posted:

In America we keep all of our chemicals, poisons and various cleaning things under the sink so our kids can get into them.

Yep, no one has ever invented a way to keep kids out of cabinets.

wait.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

:barf:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

kid sinister posted:

You can, but that's against code if you don't have a floor drain in your bathroom. However, the bidet sprayers you mount on the seat bolts are fine. Code kinda insists on a drain for every indoor fixture.

Also,

God drat R'lyeh contractors.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Crotch Fruit posted:

I am used to hotels using some sort of occupancy sensor to turn off the AC when you are gone, that sucks because you end up coming back to a hot room. Besides just the annoyance, I have doubts about the effeciency only because (this is really scientific) my Mom told me that turning off the AC in the middle of the day on a house wastes more energy because it takes more energy to cool it back down than to keep it at one temperature throughout the day. I am pretty sure it's more efficient to say raise the temp a fee degrees when you're gone, but not to just turn the thing completely off and let the room get up to 90 degrees.

This is fairly true. In addition, it'll put a TON of strain on the HVAC system since people will tend to come back to their rooms at the same time.

The idiots who owned my house before me put their electric hot water heater on a switch in the kitchen, presumably to save on power. So stupid.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Have fun with your legionnaire's disease!

The real :psyduck: about it is that the switch looks to be older than me AND is only rated for 15 A, while the water heater draws around 30 A.

It's like people weren't even loving trying on this house.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

If you think about it, there's actually MORE material there for support, and furthermore *faaaaaaaaaaart*

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

I twisted my ankle viewing this image.