Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wax in

Wax out

Wax on

Whacks off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Can't you just put little filters on the end of each of those ducts and then clean them out every few weeks?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If I lived near a building like this I'd be tempted to see if it could spark up the candles on my windowsill.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
But does it have an authentic cesspit?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is that contact adhesive?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm not sure what'd be better:

Demolish the plaster, get new plaster and start again?
Scraper, respirator and several gallons of IPA for a deep clean?
Sod it, just tile over it and save it for the next sucker who goes underneath there?

Interested to know how you dealt with this.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Get a pair of traffic cones. Now measure the diameter of a new vent and cut both traffic cones where its diameter matches that of the new vent. Now wedge the first traffic cone up the hole from inside of the cabin so it points outward. Get the second traffic cone and cover the hole completely with the base of the cone. Rainproof the heck out of that gap between the second cone and the roof. The first cone will connect the bottom of the vent to the inside of the cabin. The second cone will connect the top of the vent to the outside of the cabin, covering over the hole so it's rainproof.

Also you'll look really cool with a traffic cone sticking out of your van.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If they're that worried about the environment they should prepare snacks on plates to fill the dishwasher up more.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's also a neat taser to have around the house.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

EoRaptor posted:

The cable was cut and that plug/socket pair inserted after the device was purchased. Probably the cheapest pair that could be purchased, and done in response to riding off with a previous battery charger attached and wrecking a bunch of poo poo.

Also maybe the socket isn't meant to leave the vehicle, in which case you're going to have prongs to 13v either way.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Personally I'd have wired it the other way around and then mounted the plug on the end of a stick so I can ride my electric go ped wielding a cattle prod and become a superhero of the real world.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So what do you reckon the difference is between the ground at that light switch and the ground on the garage doors what with all that wire?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I was looking at houses to rent on Craigslist and I found this. There's obviously something weird going on with the picture itself (look at the sink) but this is such a weird bathroom shape.

I feel like the picture has been skewed to exaggerate the space in this room.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If that's meant to be an emergency exit I'd have preferred just an unmodified pole with the platforms about 2.5ft away from it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's probably one of those things where a load of little "eh, bugger it" calls over many years piled up to make one big oh poo poo moment.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is the idea to scare the poop out of you?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

put a computer desk over the toilet and you'll never have to move again.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

there wolf posted:

Today in "why is the roof damaged?"

Those supporting beams are very not parallel. The roof is not just damaged, it's also a few inches left of where it was when it was built. IMO knock the house down and see if the foundation is worth using again.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 26, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The trick is to stand in the opposite corner of the room and calculate the necessary piss arc

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If you have one of those old school UK systems and you're willing to risk the slim possibility of the header tank being all gross and old:

Fill the header tank with enough coffee granules to make a slurry of coffee. Once you've worked through the hot water in the system you'll have coffee on tap for days.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 30, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm not a construction worker but my guess is that every company will say "it's your responsibility to do the physics calculations that determine the safety of your crane". I bet everyone knows this and is made to sign paperwork saying they know this, but it's time and effort so you just go "eh that should work".

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That's what I mean, the company will say it is your responsibility, you'll know it's your responsibility, but you'll also go "eh, I've seen this crane lift heavier. Should work" rather than sit down with a calculator for a few minutes trying to remember something about turning moments.

The closest thing I can relate to is warehouse work. You're supposed to check the load and the balance but gently caress it just put the forklift in and if it falls over we'll deal with it. Who the hell has the time to go through all the bullshit you're taught at induction?

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 30, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
When I was in retail, the newbies would spend hours picking the screws and bolts we sold off the floor where the customers would always make a mess. After they had suffered long enough, I'd grab one of the magnets we sold off the shelf and run it along the floor. Job done.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Fasteners are so cheap I just take the lazy route. If they're not in the baggie they were sold in, they're thrown out.

By thrown out I mean I give them to this guy I know who's some kind of hoarder. He builds crazy poo poo all the time, where I just order in parts for any specific build and then dump spares on him.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 31, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This isn't terrible enough. Show me this room several years of use later.

I want the fungus.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
just bulldoze it and start again.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm not a rich man, can someone explain the little roundabout/ traffic island type deal these houses have on their driveways?

I'm assuming the house on the right was built first, so the house to the left of it needed one that was bigger.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 7, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I can see how that'd be a little quality of life improvement.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
"Its walls are masonry and glass"

so... an ordinary exterior wall.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What's stopping the trees chewing up the house from underneath? I've seen a handful of little cabins that have been abandoned in the woods after root growth caused them to go out of level, and I'm wondering if construction has found a good answer for that problem?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So long as it's air conditioned I really don't care how horrible it looks.

I've done a lot of industrial jobs though, so anything better than a corrugated iron barn is a plus for me visually. Those concrete blocks actually have some thought put into them beyond "what's the cheapest way we can protect this stuff from the rain?"

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Where I live this HOA nonsense is very rare. There's a few leasehold developments where you might get the freeholder organisation trying to uphold standards, but the vast majority of this stuff is dealt with by local government offices who are just there to push paper rather than actually nanny your houses. If you have to make a major change to your property, you have to finalize plans with an architect or whoever, publish those plans somewhere your neighbors can see them, then give some time for them to complain to the local authority if they must. Unless there is some safety rule, historic building preservation rule or zoning law that you're breaking or some absolutely dire reason why the local authority wants to make more work for itself they just go "eh, gently caress it" and you can do what you want.

I like that it's handled by paper pushers and not by concerned homeowners.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I know it's the least of the problems with the house but why the hell is there a raw brick room with a freaking huge window?

What is that room for?

I know that some hospitals during the polio outbreaks had spaces like this because they believed sunlight was the cure. Is that why there's a skeleton chilling in the room?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

there wolf posted:

Old porches get enclosed into sun rooms so you can still enjoy the light without having to deal with mosquitoes or other outside pests.

So it's basically an airlock for keeping out pests and stray skeletons.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You know stairs are bad when you're looking at them thinking "a ladder would have been better here".

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The oven looks like it's going :stonk:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
why not just pipe it into the gutter? Why does it have to go into the floor?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Clearly they need rail-less shelf-stairs.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I notice that the dark wooden steps curve back around to become the next flight of stairs. They attach to a wall or the ceiling, right? They don't just stretch all that way back and hang there?

Also I'm no engineer but I get this feeling in my gut like the S bend in those stairs is going to see some stress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Surely it'd be possible to build a stud wall going into the room slightly so that the door was at the end of a small corridor/alcove and then you have the stairs to that room branching off this landing here instead of whatever this corner arrangement is supposed to be.