Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Blistex posted:

I agree with you that people should be able to do what they want on their property, but that doesn't mean we can't complain about it.
Yea but nobody wants to hear it, especially if its the NIMBY opinions other people were posting. In a perfect world neighbors would ask each other if certain things were okay but people are selfish dicks including you and I.

I don't know how many stupid rants I have had to bear witness to by my mom about buildings in her neighborhood that 100% didn't affect their property. If anything the new buildings increased the value of their house.

Your diagram about the houses is also terrible because I couldn't tell through 90% of the story which of the two identical brown houses you were talking about and I figured you were trolling.

Ugly things exist. Hell, ugly people exist. You don't go around complaining your neighbor is ugly, but you can complain about their ugly garage. Yes, ugly things happen. They're not ideal, but beauty is subjective and a gently caress-off huge garage is pretty awesome once you're inside it. We moved around a bit when I was growing up and the second to last house my parents lived in, the backyard neighbor wanted to build a huge garage. Obviously my mom was irate. The garage was built and I hung out in it- and it was awesome, and his hobby racing/mechanic thing took off. Never bothered us and we were sleeping like 30 feet from it. Didn't ruin any views because its the suburbs and all the terrible houses looked the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

dyne posted:

Well, it's frequently 4" at the machine. I think I would run 6" under the slab. I think that's the recommended diameter for runs through the workshop.

7 inch minimum if you have any real machines and be sure to ground the PVC and use the softest curves with no 90deg elbows. 7" from your DC to usually 5"-7" at pre planned machine locations preferably with a way to shut off flow to each to conserve suction because you can't run it with them all open.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

It's not a question of what is legal, it's a question of how much can they steal from you before you decide to spend $300/hr just to talk to a lawyer. And contract law is archaic, confusing and one sided, when you signed the lease you really did give them your first born child.

Let's keep this as construction not "everyone thinks they know the law." I've taken two landlords to court over landlord bullshit and it didn't cost me a dime. They had to pay my lawyer fees. PM me if you'd like to know more but even if you think you can't get or afford a lawyer, you can.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

kastein posted:

Curious, how do you ground PVC? It doesn't conduct electricity. I know WHY you want to ground it (static buildup, because it doesn't conduct) but not how. Some sort of conductive spray? A bleeder wire along it that drains the static charge as it builds up? Both?

To be clear, I am not calling BS on what you said, I agree it is a very good idea, just not sure of the method to use.

E: story relating to this. I used 2 inch pvc conduit and elbows to make an extension for my shopvac when I was vacuuming all the rockwool out of my attic a few years back. The static buildup was immense. You could feel the charge from 6 inches away because all the hair on your arm would stand straight up. It was intense enough that the crackling sounded like a MIG welder and the conduit glowed and flickered in the dark from the sparking. The vacuum filled up and I went to climb down through the access port alongside the conduit with the vacuum still running. A sound like a rifle shot rang out, 4 feet of the conduit flashed bright blue, a spark jumped 4-6 inches to my left arm and I felt like I had been shot.

... I added a drain wire (bare copper wrapped loosely around the conduit from one end to the other) and grounded it, and the shocks I got after that were more like what you're used to in winter.

So basically, a nonconductive tube with airborne nonconductive dust/abrasive/powder rushing through it is BAD NEWS. In fact it amounts to building your own van de graaf generator. The shocks you get hurt like a motherfucker and with wood dust it could easily pose a fire/explosion hazard. You want to ground your vac system and you want to do it well.

I've never used PVC and i've never built or willingly installed flex hose into a shop. Good DC is so so important. I've seen copper along the outside tied into what I'm guessing are just screws sunk into the pipe. I hate "mobile" dust collection aka a bunch of poo poo in the way. I've never seen fires or explosions from DC but I think it's usually idiot knife makers collecting sparks/metal chips with their wood chips

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So what would you recommend to use for setting up dust collection ports? And how would it be grounded? Use metal conduit? That could get expensive fast at 7" diameter...

Metal is always what is recommended. You can save money by buying used runs off craigslist or offering to gut unused runs but yes it's expensive like everything else. Totally worth it

I recommend not sinking the run. You probably don't have the room to make a sub floor which would be best so you can run electrical as well as DC under it and get under there to change it which you will. Make rigid runs and just have them running over the shop

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 12, 2014

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Powerlurker posted:

In Rochester, NY? No way in hell would a house like that sell for 50k.

My landlord offered me her 4 bedroom house with attic and unfinished basement, front & back yard for 20k. I miss Rochester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

My friend does concrete counter tops, they look really nice. They're really cheap too, well relatively. Usually they're glass filled similar to concrete sinks where you need the rigidity of fiberglass reinforcement when you pour less for weight savings.