Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

If I live to be a million years old I will never grasp why people think it's OK to Mickey Mouse something that presents a very real "burn the whole house down" possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

MrYenko posted:

A friend of the family had an incident with a high-pressure steam valve at work when I was a kid. (Him and my father worked together at an oil-fired steam turbine power plant.)

The bonnet of a valve blew off when he turned the valve wheel, and he took a jet of ~450psi live steam to his right hand and lower arm. It stripped the flesh almost to the bone, in places, and it took him more than a year to get use of his hand back. He was lucky he was standing off to the side of the valve, instead of in front of it.

Yikes. How much of his flesh grew back?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

DNova posted:

Yeah, it's actually normal for utility workers to rest their ladders on telco cables like that.

Not on the cables but the support strand :spergin:

Yeah also a telco or cable employee will (or at least should) be using a fiberglass ladder with hooks and have a leather harness to secure himself and the ladder to the strand, not a rope that will become a fashionable tourniquet should something go awry. Also hard hats, gloves, voltage detector and the like. If they were caught working aloft as pictured above it'd be immediate termination.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bad Munki posted:

Stop, you're giving me deja vu.

(I did not buy the house. The amazing paint job was only a minor influence.)

I kind of like the paint job but the ivory switchplates, dark grey carpets, and dark brown door are really not complimentary. If you're going to choose a funky paint scheme you need to go all the way.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Motronic posted:

Minimum ring to meet standard in the US is 75 VAC.

Yeah, just a standard idling line is 45-50 volts. I'd have to test again but I think ring is usually more like 90 volts.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Motronic posted:

On most POTS lines in the former Bell Atlantic area they shoot for 88 VAC. Not sure about other areas, but I'm sure it's quite similar. Many older phones with actual bell ringers won't work with ATAs, even the ones supplied by the likes of Verizon (for Fios phone) and Comcast because they don't quite produce enough voltage and/or amperage to make something like that ring properly.

Also, leaning your arm across a 66 block when you have ring on one of the pairs feels a whole lot like you just got stabbed with a pen knife.

...or if you're scaling a utility pole and your (sweaty) forearm brushes a dry rotted telephone drop, it's pretty invigorating. :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Blistex posted:

Just finished fixing a 5 year old roof that had a peak that was shingled like this. . .

Hmmm, I wonder why there was extensive rot and water damage?

I hope someone got (successfully) sued for that.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I used to know a guy who wired up home theaters and structured audio. While it's not as critical as a roof, he just did legendarily lovely work...I mean tangled up, disorganized, and just generally useless. Of course why people chose him when he didn't have a storefront or inventory to show (wait, I know why: he worked cheap). Naturally once he had the cash he would vanish. No support at all. In fact our company had to go behind and re-work a lot of poo poo (no complaints about the money from us of course).

The kicker is that he was doing all of this shady, sloppy work for like two decades last I knew. It wasn't as though he was operating in a huge community so I have no idea how he hadn't been put out of business years ago. Kind of a shame, he was just too short sighted to build a real business since his MO was to do the quick and dirty.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Blistex posted:

They paid a guy to do their roof because he said he could do it cheap. . . nuff said.

Not to victim-blame, because the allure of saving money is strong...but if their main selling point is "cheap"...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Baronjutter posted:

That's just ascetics though.

Huh...and here I thought they just stuck to fasting and self-flagellation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

I love it when people just daisy chain a line (such as the one going from the living room to two rooms upstairs) to save 10' on a run. :allears: