Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

GD_American posted:

I've got this problem when I forget to to turn on my recirc while cooking anything smokey. The smoke detector is about 20 feet away on a facing wall and very sensitive, and linked whole house.

At least they get tested pretty regularly.

I have this exact problem and it's drat impossible to cook anything on my stove above medium high because the smoke makes my alarm go off and makes me ANGRY

About how much would it cost to install an actual hood vent? I think I did a :google: and it said a good hood is like 3-500. Is the install as simple as running piping up to the attic and venting it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

oh jesus, my Home Depot was compromised, too. I just got a new card from the Target fiasco, I hope this doesn't turn into that again.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

So, who wants to inspect my deck?

*rimshot*

This is the deck that was built onto my house before I moved it. It's made of treated pine. The deck boards were all butt jointed over the joists and were nailed down with a nail gun, so the nail heads were about 1/4" below the surface of the deck boards. This has caused nearly all the boards to split at the ends, and there are a ton of cracks throughout the boards were water has seeped down into the wood through the holes left by the nail heads. I've pulled and replaced a few boards that warped over the past few years and have shot some deck screws into some boards to keep them held down.

There have been a lot of deck DIYs on reddit/diy this summer, so I was inspired to get mine looking not as much like poo poo. They're very heavy on code on the reddit sub, so I've been reading a lot about building decks to code and have identified several issues that I believe are not up to code on my deck as I've been pulling deck boards.

1. Stairs

Issues that I know about
  • The stringers are resting on the ground, when they should be on a concrete pad, compacted gravel, or attached to the posts.
  • Incredibly accurate and precise use of nail gun has lead to nails cracking the stringers in half
  • The gap between the stairs appears to be larger than code
  • The hand rails were just 2x6s nailed to 2x4s, which is not code
  • the balusters and 2x4s they were attached to were sloppily nailed to the posts without the use of hangers - I was able to knock down the entire rail with about 10 swings of my hammer. Really safe stuff.

2. Ledger board

(Sorry for the blurry image)
  • Ledger board appears to be lag screwed to the brick veneer. I haven't gotten into the crawl space to see if it's attached to structural joists of the house or anything
  • Possibly insufficient number of lag screws to support the ledger? In the image you can see 3, 2 between the first 2 joists and 1 between the third and fourth joist.

3. Girder butt joists

• The gider butt joist is not located over a post.
  • Not pictured, but the other butt joint in the rear is also not located over the post
  • The girders are connected by like 1 lag and some nails

My concern is that I am likely going to be selling or renting this house next year. I'm assuming that I'll be held responsible for these likely code violations if I sell, and if I rent, I'd be liable if there was injury due to failure from these issues. The stairs I'm planning on rebuilding (new stringers, new posts with footings, new boards, use of joist hangers to hang boards, railing up to code), but the ledger and girders have me more concerned. Is is possible to repair these appropriately without completely tearing the deck apart? I'm planning on removing all the deck boards in order to get them down in a better manner and replace bad boards, so I'll have the joists and girders more exposed and open to repair if need be...

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Motronic posted:

If that were the case why aren't you going back after whoever sold you that shitstorm?

(hint: because you know that will go nowhere)

Yup. This is what I get for being a first time home buyer and using the inspector the realtor recommended... Rookie mistake

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Reading more about my deck, I'm really concerned about the ledger board. Think it would be possible to convert to a free-standing structure? Maybe I should make a separate thread about it?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Pathologists get to have all the fun.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Welcome to Part 3 of our 6-part series, "How Lowe's Tells People To Build a Non-Code Compliant Deck"

Laminator fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 25, 2014

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

In the first video, they attach the boards to the posts by using carriage bolts alone, which then causes the entire load of the deck to depend on the shear strength of the bolts. Usually the bolt won't break, but the load can cause the wood to shred. The proper way to attach the boards is to place them directly atop the posts, either by notching a 6x6 post or by using a fastener for a 4x4.

The guardrail posts are notched, which may be code but isn't the greatest way to attach to a deck... It weakens the post and the force applied at the top of the post (where people usually leans) is magnified by through the lever attachment to the deck

In the stairs episode, they also don't place the stringer bases on a concrete pad or compacted gravel. They do attach to posts with footings, but it still looks like the stringers are in contact with the ground.

I know this because I'm facing similar issues on my deck and have spent a lot of time reading about and looking at pictures of improperly built decks. This site is great: http://www.nachi.org/deck-inspections.htm

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Motronic posted:

This is what we call a "first day expert."

Again this is how decks were built 10-20 years ago. It's only been in the last several years that you could even find things like strong-tie saddle brackets without special ordering them.

I'm not seeing how this is so horribly horribly wrong. It's all very typical and you'll likely find that most existing decks were built exactly this way. Decks that are still perfectly safe.

I encourage everyone building a deck to do better and use modern methods, whether required by code or not, but none of this is that big of a deal when done properly.

I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means, and I'm not saying it's horribly wrong. But this video isn't from 10-20 years ago, it's a few years old, and it's from a big-name store that a lot of people would use as a reference for building a deck.

The 2009 IRC codes explicitly state that attaching girders to posts in that manner is prohibited

page 8 of this document http://www.awc.org/publications/dca/dca6/dca6-09.pdf

I mean if your local area permits bolting through the post as code, then go for it, but it's not like it takes a lot of special tools or brackets to notch a post

Slugworth posted:

I mean, it's hard to deny that those are stronger building techniques, but I have literally never seen them used in my area. Plenty of inspected and approved decks around here that are resting on a bolt-carried ledger board.

By all means, go above code when you can, but I don't think the Lowes video is going to result in disaster.

The video shows a free-standing deck, not one with a ledger board. A bolted ledger board is fine.

Laminator fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 25, 2014

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

couldcareless posted:

I've only ever used one general inspector and he made sure to go around and do outlet tests on them all. He even did very nice long detailed reports with picture and notations similar to the ones above. Guess I got lucky.

The inspection report for my house had all of that, even had some minor stuff about brick repair in the foundation. It didn't include anything about the rotten joists or rafter issues that I have found.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Nope, they're pretty visible in the crawlspace and attic You just have to actually go into the crawlspace, including some tight fits under the house, and bring some extra boards into the attic to walk on the ceiling joists and look at stuff from a different angle.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Bring a good flashlight to look in dark areas.

Fill sinks and tubs with water to see if they leak (found a bad hose clamp in my place by doing this)

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Maybe it was mixed with heavy water.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

15x31x9.5

http://www.calculator.net/concrete-calculator.html

340 lbs, plus whatever the shackle and embedded chain weighs, plus whatever variation from aggregate ratio.

Hope you can sleep well tonight ya goony bastards :allears:

Thread delivers 555 have my man babies goon sire

This is in my fiancee's sister's garage. That floor drain is the drain for the washing machine, which spews water all over the floor (and electrical extension cord) every time they use the washer. Oh and it's the drain for the hot water tank and furnace.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

I was looking at houses down in Austin and one of them was an old lady special, ugly as hell but looked like it was well-maintained. Thanks to this thread I remembered that some breaker panels were bad, but I couldn't remember which, so I snapped a picture...

STAB-LOK :argh:

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

That is this piece of dogshit to a T

Welcome to the Royal Ontario Museum. Where the new glass leaks and lets in so many lumens many artifacts can't be displayed there.

I like the dude down in the right pointing at it, "Look at that thing lol"

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Sump pump discharge?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Y'all wanna have a memorial day deck party? Just don't get too close to the railings

My neighborhood is ripe with crappy construction fodder.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

I couldn't get on my roof due to having too short of a ladder, so I figured out the angles of my rafters with a level, piece of paper, and trig. I had to look up arcsine and arccosine because I forgot the names. Ended up being pretty drat close, like 1-2° off.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

I'm in a rental house now, it's an older home but I'm not sure of the age. There's lots of crappy construction in it (charm, I think they call it), but I'm most concerned about electrical. There's not a single GFCI in the place, including the outlet above the sink. Is this typically something that the leasing company will fix if I request it? I'm getting mixed answers from Google. Texas code, if that helps.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

ductonius posted:

In most places changes in electrical code don't mean everyone has to rewire their houses immediately. If an older home has what *was* up to code when it was built it likely remains perfectly legal so long as nobody fucks with it in any significant way, but once work is performed the law likely requires it to be brought up to current code. So, the rental company is going to ask "is anything actually broken?" and when you say "no" they'll say "tough titty" and hang up.

This doesn't mean you cant install your own GFI outlets where you think you need them. Turning off a breaker, checking to make sure the power is really, truly dead and replacing an outlet is trivial.

That's what I figured, and wasn't 100% since GFCIs are kinda important. I'm just going to install them myself, would have been nice if they would have done it for me.

It's tough going from homeowner to renter again.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Crawlspace or basement? I had some similar multigeneration gently caress ups, it was shocking that the floor was still in place given that it was directly under the bathtub.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

That would be fine assuming that your original joist is a 2x8, though using some PT lumber wouldn't be a bad idea, especially given that it's under the bathroom and may get water exposure. Douglas fir is a stronger wood than Southern Pine or whatever pine species is used for PT lumber, I'm sure someone knows way better than I do on the benefits of each. Typically the procedure is jack the sagging area, lay a bead of construction adhesive along the joist, then hammer or jack the sister in place. You can mechanically fasten it with screws or nails, or use bolts (I held the joist in place with structural screws and then added 1/2" hex bolts, personally).

Be sure to not put a screw or nail into a pipe (or you may have to run out of your basement and frantically shut off the water supply and shamefully call a plumber, but I wouldn't know anything about that).

Laminator fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 8, 2015

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Builders that don't care?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

GFCI installation tales continue

Thanks for the extra wiring, guys! Going to have to pigtail on a few more inches just to make this reach the wiring connections on the GFCI.

This switch has perplexed us since we moved in. It didn't seem to do anything, and when I looked at the wiring on it yesterday I got even more confused since it has two hot leads wired to it, with the neutral and ground just pigtailed together in the back of the box. A few hours after I got the GFCI installed, I had a thought and went to look at the dishwasher... it was off. Flipping the switch ON, and the dishwasher light turns on. Apparently it's a common thing down here in Texas :confused:

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

I may be (probably am) wrong, electricity is definitely not my strong area and that's why I don't do anything beyond replacing an outlet.

Kinda hard to see in the photo, but there are 3 Romex running into the box. One of them is the outlet, simple enough. From the other two, the hot (black) wire from each is wired to the switch, one to the line and one to the load. From those same two Romex, the ground (bare copper) and neutral (white wire) are connected to each other with wire nuts. I am guessing that one of the Romex is from the panel and the other is wired to the dishwasher. I didn't actually disconnect the wires or test what's hot and ground, since I don't have a multimeter or tester.

Like I said, I know not much beyond which color wires go where on an outlet and light fixture, so I don't mess around with this stuff since I don't like dying in a fire.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

If I'm reading you right: One socket under the sink should be always on for the dishwasher, the other one that is switched is for a disposal.

Yeah, and that's how it's been at other places I have lived. But this house has no disposal, and it looks like the dishwasher was added later so they decided that was the best spot to put the disconncect switch. Just in case I wasn't clear, that outlet is one of the kitchen countertop outlets, not an under the sink one.

Sorry for the confusion folks, this is why I don't mess with electricity!

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Cleaned out the gutters on the rental place yesterday (pulled out about 10 gallons of compost from them, and destroyed a few thousand ants in the process). I had assumed that the end of the gutter was missing the end plate and needed to be fixed, but then I hosed the gutters out and realized...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCu4Tz4A5WI

(sorry about vertical video)

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Are those 1x4s "sistered" together for the posts?

Surprised it isn't built out of pallet wood...

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

But the historic value!

*pops an aneurysm trying to screech a stuck window open*

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

At least can we all agree that grouted tile is an awful idea for countertops?

The house we're renting is tiled with some sort of awful terra-cotta tile and poorly mixed, unsealed grout. It also looks like it was installed by someone with diplopia. It's horrendous. We actually talked about what we would do the make this house better if we owned it, and it basically involved demoing the entire inside and rebuilding it :v:

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

The red roof is new steel roofing.

Love that 1x4 with 3 screws in it acting as a structural span in that steel hip rafter (I guess you could call it that?)

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Larry Haun wrote a book about his upbringing, working in the post-WW2 construction boom I'm California, and his general life philosophy. It's not a construction book by any means - actually pretty granola/Greenpeace - but it's worth a read (it's short). He seemed like a pretty level-headed, chill dude, which comes across in his videos.

His rafter framing video is great. Sinking 16d nails in 2 swings, framing hips like a boss

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Roofing that was probably a pants-making GBS threads experience

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Motronic posted:

This got so bad even for reddit that the subreddit moderators locked the comments.

My favorite part was that after some dude on Craigslist took several trailers of the river rock, he tossed the rest into the crawl space of his house. Just...what?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

I can't believe no one has commented on the random 2x4 they somehow attached to the wall/clinging to hold up their shower curtain rod.

I'm also real confused as to what the 2x4s they inserted into the walls are actually nailed or attached to

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

This is likely a door in a psychiatric ward, so that staff can get access while still giving the patient some privacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Can't you just use adhesive hooks? You know, instead of buying a hammer drill.

Why would you ever give up the opportunity to buy a hammer drill? Those things are awesome.