Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

As a structural engineer, this just makes me so very very sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

t_violet posted:

I'll just throw this out there, I was at a meeting hall that had this construction with some firefighters and they said they are scared to death of that type of construction. It tends to fail catastrophically in a fire, collapsing the roof and killing firefighters.

Yeah, you could certainly have an issue with fire rating depending on your code.

Anyway, this isn't standard wood construction so, at least in my jurisdiction, you'd need an engineer's stamp on it. I can think of a few ways you could realistically do the connection, but it would involve actually crunching numbers to verify which would work. If this is actually something you want to do, hire a local engineer to size the rod, detail the connection and make sure you meet fire requirements. If you can provide reasonable information and access to what's there, it's probably only a few hundred bucks.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Blindeye posted:

He received AutoCAD files and hand drawings, clearly labeled to the exact dimensions, including the tolerances. He changed the tolerances because he thought fractional inches was too much work. I don't even know.

Generally every design office I've worked with and reviewed requires drafters to replicate engineering instructions exactly, not to make modifications without informing engineering. Of course, there is also a tendency in some companies to overwork their drafters unnecessarily.

This is why checking exists? Somebody was probably annoyed at the guy the week before for putting pointlessly precise dimensions on a drawing and he figured he was helping out.

This is a quick markup on the checkprint and a ten second conversation, not a post on the internet thing.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
So you have a load bearing bathtub?

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Laminator posted:

So, who wants to inspect my deck?

If you don't have it, download a copy of the AWC Prescriptive Residential Deck Construction Guide.

I think you can grab it at their website. It'll tell you what things are supposed to look like.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Aoi-chan posted:

The running theory is the soda machine was "load bearing."

If it was primarily holding back lateral earth pressures, it was in fact a retaining soda machine! :science:

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Anyone have the website of the home inspector with the hilariously in depth reports and maintenance manual that comes up every once in a while in the thread? He's around Vancouver and I think I'm going to try and convince a friend to use him.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Dillbag posted:

This is the guy you are probably thinking of, we used him for our inspection - http://www.theco.ca/

e. Yep, here's my old post:

Exactly that dude. Awesome.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

canyoneer posted:

Probably that. People usually don't consider that the weight of humans can kill buildings.

Or that a few dozen people jumping up and down in sync on a parking structure roof could cause concrete to flex.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr3HTkkpvtU

This is generally terrifying whenever it happens, because car park design loading actually isn't all that big. It's not even close to what your design for the sort of large gathering you see every one in a while.

Also, engineers imagine all this kind of poo poo, you just can't justify designing to the completely crazy edge cases that are always going to happen. I've literally had internet forum discussions with other structural engineers about whether it's justifiable to to design upper floors in parking lots to huge load capacity in case this sort of thing happens.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Ashcans posted:

It wouldn't at all surprise me if that balcony was intended for like 3 people to fit on, and they were like 'well you know, people are nuts' and then built it to support 10 just in case, and now someone is holding their head in their hands wondering how the hell 13 people got onto that thing and kicking themselves for not building to 5x capacity.

Balconies built to code in the US should generally be built to a service load of 100psf. With safety factor, you really shouldn't be able to break that even with people jammed in there.

Some people argue that small balconies should be designed to the loading requirements of the room they're attached too. It's a stretch of a code interpretation. That could get you as low as 40 psf... It's not the right way to do it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
You're paying the general contractor to do that. Check on the work, not the workers, and try to avoid instructing individual contractors. Look at the end of the day, and if it's poo poo talk to the general or tear him a new one, if you want. If that doesn't fix things, fire the guy and hire a good one.

If you want to be in charge of all the day to day details, hire the contractors directly and organize it yourself. Otherwise, actually respect people and let them do their jobs. You're undermining the general contractor by going around them.

If you're worried about something being covered up, set inspection hold points so you can see things before they're closed.