Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.
A while ago we worked at a slaughter house / meat processing plant.

Instead of putting in giant coolers using cooler panels the engineers of the building decided that they would use the building itself as a cooler. We got called in because the ceiling was falling down in a portion of one of the coolers. What we saw there was a nightmare.

All of the walls and ceiling were covered with FRP (the white bumpy 4x8 sheets of plastic they use in bathrooms in gas stations). The moisture in the rooms was incredible. Water was basically running down the walls. We started tearing the ceiling down and discovered that they had glued the frp panels onto drywall. Underneath the drywall was what was supposed to be the vapor barrier of plastic, but they had not taped any of the seams. Above that, in the attic, the guy who sprayed open cell spray foam in the building didn't reach out to the very edge of the building and there were large parts that were completely uninsulated. The ceiling trusses were basically encased in water and had started to rot.

Drywall and open cell foam are basically sponges and with the amount of moisture created by the refrigeration units every part of the ceiling was beginning to sag and fall. The owner had us reinsulate with closed cell foam, put up treated plywood, and cover it with frp. He asked us to redo the entire building, but we declined.

The building is less than 4 years old and is on the verge of falling down already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

Baronjutter posted:

And speaking of cold storage, I just did a fire safety inspection thing on a huge cold storage facility that keeps everything at -28c which is gently caress-off cold. Of course I visited in the summer in summer clothes. Couldn't feel my hands after about a min in there and I was only allowed in without protective gear for 3min. There's so much engineering that goes into the walls of those place, I can't believe that meat packing place did what they did. Could they get any restitution from the builders or was it their own drat fault?

There were/are a lot of shenannigans that went on at that place. That guy kicked his contractors out 3-4 times and brought in different crews, so I'm not sure who he'd try and get money out of. We got paid and got out of there.

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.
I've got an interesting story. A month ago we installed closed cell spray foam and air sealed a new home. It has been in the high teens the past few weeks. The homeowner has been heating the building with a lp and kerosene heater. He has in floor heat in the basement, but hasn't turned it on yet.

He decided to pour gypcrete on the first and second floor of the house last week. He called in a panic when he went out there today. All of the moisture that he pounded into the building is running down the poly and completely warped his windows. There was about a half inch of frost on the basement walls.

I feel terrible for the guy but he is a know it all retired mason who didn't listen when we told him that he needed to turn on his basement in floor heat and set up fans to create air movement.