Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Would sleeving a drilled hole or a notch with a strong piece of pipe or angled steel maintain the strength?

The top of the beam is in compression. The bottom of the beam is in tension. At the center of the beam, the forces are minimized, so drilling a hole there doesn't change its strength much.

Thus the hole itself is not the problem, it's where you put it. Any reinforcement would have to match the loading needs at that spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Maybe they could lower the house.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Weembles posted:

I would defend this only if the house were on a steep hill and the pitch of the roofline matched the slope of the hill.

To me it depends on where it is and what the local vernacular is. If it fits in with its neighborhood, then different strokes for different folks.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Doesn't look like a kakluuni to me, champ.

It's not finnished.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Buses are not a good solution for anywhere with big industry. Not everyone will fit on the 42 to the shipyards. Obviously not a problem in the USA because they have no industry to speak of.

Uh, #2 in the world in industrial output is probably enough to speak of.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

It's ugly in a way I don't understand. Design/architecture goons, tell me why I don't like this house.

It's wearing a striped shirt with polka-dot pants. The cobbles and brick clash rather badly.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

By popular demand posted:

So other than using rusty saw blades it's A-OK ?

They're trying to cut their power usage.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Platystemon posted:

That’s not cold enough to warrant a fireplace.

I don't think there's a flue, so it's either electric or purely decorative anyway.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Heroes on a half-shell.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sirotan posted:

His reddit comments outside that thread say that the reason he has no money to fix things up is because he spends it all on guns and Funko pops. :rip:

They sound like a perfect couple.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

No part of this is intended to be brave or funny or edgy at all; quite to the contrary it's sad as hell :(

Does the houses subforum need a primer on the housing crisis

No, you're being dumb and hyperbolic.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Electric arc lights

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's a fancy student dorm, I'm pretty sure the residents won't be able to either

Coming home from a party drunk is going to be a real adventure.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That seems like something to take up with your builder and an architect/engineer.

The maximum span depends on your joist spacing and the wood it's made of. At 12" spacing, you're looking at 2x10 or 2x12. 16" spacing is definitely 2x12. You would probably have to special order 20' long 2x12s, and they're going to be close to $100 each.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's the early alpha of Windows 30.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Thanks, multiple previous owners.

Edit: Three loving layers of paint on these walls and outlets.

Of course they couldn't take the plate off - the screw slot is full of paint.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It needs the torso of an inflatable clown on the porch roof.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

totalnewbie posted:

What IS the proper way to make those stairs, as they're built now, stable?

I would add diagonal bracing between the vertical 2x4s to keep it stiff left and right; then add some horizontal braces along the inside and outside to keep it stiff forward and back.

In the end, just using a standard stair stringer is probably faster and cheaper.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Motronic posted:

That's not a sufficient or satisfying explanation considering this completely "unique" method. What it comes down to is they are using a lot of plywood, screws and construction adhesive to build an outdoor staircase that isn't going to be safe for more than a few years. Good job!

She'll get a lot of YouTube hits out of it, at least.

It's all about engagement, baby.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

What does residential construction code have to say about using live trees as critical support members of a structure for human occupation? I feel like tree houses are everywhere and somehow just conveniently bypass all sorts of code enforcement. Maybe "you can't make us tear that down it'll break the kids' hearts" is an effective strategy for obtaining variance permits, I dunno.

Where I live, no permit or inspection is needed for a treehouse.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

I can't tell where to aim my torpedoes in this bathroom

That's why they keep a trowel and a mop next to the toilet.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Orvin posted:

The longer I look, the worse it gets.

Absolutely nothing is centered, it’s not just the fireplace. Then I see the useless desk due to the size of the TV. Then the extension cord for the “fireplace”.

It's to the point where it can't be incompetence, it has to be deliberate. Like an art installation or something.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

For whatever reason I found Canada's Worst Handyman funny, but Canada's Worst Driver just nerve-wracking. I guess because in Handyman they were largely just going to hurt themselves, but in Driver those people were out on the road with you.

(also because I would continually forget they use kph instead of mph and every single time I'd be like 'OH god they're taking that course at 50 mph?!')

After a while CWD was just sad. It seemed to be highlighting people with genuine mental issues and making fun of them.

I watched a few episodes of CWH and it seemed to be headed down the same path so I quit watching.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

`Nemesis posted:

not my pics, but the person who shared them said "kensington, near 5th and berks"

The street sign says 37th and Wallace. Google maps shows an empty lot as of October, 2021.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9646011,-75.1961653,3a,75y,61.61h,76.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPyoGkk03RMwdsNNZQ1IBVg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Computer viking posted:

What exactly is a "justice facility"? Court houses, prison, jail? Administrative building for the court system?

In Kalamazoo, "justice facility" is a euphemism for a slaughterhouse. They have a thing about cows and pigs. It goes way back and is complicated.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

devicenull posted:

Why is there a grab bar on the shower ceiling?

It's not a shower, it's the bidet.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That would last about two weeks if it were my house. I'd get fed up with tripping on it every time I walked through and would very shortly take a sledgehammer to it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

Double sink vanity.
Just look at it!

Don't doxx me, man. It was late, I was tired, and it actually worked.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm aware of that. Just can't say I've seen a tall toilet bowl like that before.

That house is in rural Illinois.

https://deabath.com/product/1938-vintage-kohler-sibley-toilet-bowl/
https://deabath.com/product/1908-antique-trenton-potteries-hightank-toilet-bowl/

It was a pretty common design in the early 20th. Specific year and model would be rather difficult to pin down.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

By popular demand posted:

What do you store in the underfridge niche?

Gnomes.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LimaBiker posted:

Why not just extend the toilet stalls all the way down to the floor?

Because then it's a pain in the rear end for janitors to mop it. Putting them clear to the floor would also induce a lot of claustrophobic panic attacks.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Is there a problem with my foundation, sir?

It's lasted for 800 years, it's probably OK.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's a Polish restaurant.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

value-brand cereal posted:

This is so good. I love the little cut on the doorway step corner, to prevent.... ????? Something?!

Probably to prevent whanging your shin on the corner of it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That's dye, not paint.

And I bet it was carpet she was going to tear up and replace anyway.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cool Dad posted:

It might have originally been a day care or something before it was...changed.

Google street view shows it was a dry cleaners at one time. I presume it's had an interesting history since then.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

what is that chart, it has two y axes and the one on the left has two labels?

Left has one label, $. Annual energy consumption (in $) and purchase cost are close enough together they can use the same scale.

For volume, use the axis on the right side.

Having alternate y-axes on the left and right side is a common technique when you want to show related data with different values. In this case, they have "year" in common and you can see how they all vary together over time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Motronic posted:

I don't understand this whole conversation. US refrigerators come in like 3 different standard exterior dimension sizes with some minor variances. This is a thing because of standard cabinet openings.

Sure, some of those standard sized ones can come in counter depth or counter depth+, the latter mostly seems to be able to accommodate for fancy reach-through drink doors or double doors. And of course there are all kinds of sizes including monstrous for fancy built ins.

In that case, you would have to go to the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers to find the source of their data and see how they are measuring it.

I assume it's based on the average volume of purchased units, but I don't care enough to go look it up.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Huh, never even knew that was a thing. Went and looked and there are little clips around the fan intake where presumably a filter is supposed to go. Took some measurements and just ordered one that should fit for like ten bucks. Thanks bud, you've made my construction a little less crappy! :hfive:

Yeah, that filter is also designed to trap vaporized oil, so it needs to be cleaned now and then.

Its main function is just to clear the area above the stove of vapor/smoke so you can see what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Calm down, Sparky. That's why I asked, because I have no personal experience with outhouses and I only know what I'd been told by older family members who lived in places with no plumbing back in the day.

And that was that they used to dig latrine pits, move the outhouse over them, and when that pit filled up you dug another one in a different part of the back field and moved the structure.

I'm sure both happened, depending on the location.

Removing "night soil" was a serious profession in many cities, where moving the outhouse wasn't an option. I'm sure there were other places with lots of land where they preferred digging a new hole to cleaning out the old one.

My dad regaled me with stories of tipping over outhouses as a Halloween prank, so they were neither securely anchored nor particularly heavy in his area.