Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Just had my shower replaced due to a leak causing water damage. Insurance almost paid enough to replace it. Hired a local company that does mostly this sort of work.

First, they tore out the old shower incompletely. Then they hired a plumber to change the crappy old drain out. The plumber tells me he will be here at 3:00 on my day off and then he no-shows me completely with no communication. The next morning the shower guys show up to start the install. They say “well the plumber didn’t do this yet so we can’t start” and I ask them to please get the plumber in if they can, and in the meantime I tell them they can replace the water-damaged area. They say they will do that when they get started on the rest of the job. The plumber arrives five hours later to do that drain and makes a gigantic mess doing it. Install is rescheduled for six days later, which was today.

The guys show up today and I walk back with them. The guy says “we will start with yadda yadda yadda” which prompts me to say that maybe he should replace the damaged area first while I point out all the affected areas. He says he will do that when he gets to the drywalling, etc.

I go back in there a few times and they make progress on the shower itself without replacing the damaged areas. I point them out again and the guy gets a little annoyed with me and says “I’m just not there yet!”

I have to pick up my daughter and make dinner. The guy approaches as I finish dinner and says “all done!” I walk back there with him and the shower is in fact installed over the water damage. The drywall outside the shower stall is still damaged and flimsy, with veins of swelling from the water. The bottom area that was damaged completely through in a small hole on each side was covered with awkwardly-placed small marble sheets.

Me: “ None of this is replaced. All of the damage I pointed out is still here.”

Him: “I wouldn’t even have what I need to do that right now.”

Me: “That was the whole point of this! Why would I rip out a shower for water damage just to lay a new shower over the water damage?!”

Him: “You’ll have to talk to (boss) on that then.”

Me, pointing : “did you replace these molded studs we discussed?”

Him: “… No. You’ll have to talk to (boss). I didn’t even know all of that until I got here”
That last line was another blatant lie for numerous reasons (you were here six days ago discussing this with me!), and it pissed me off.

So I try to call his boss. No answer at the office. I realize he has hopped into his truck and left while I was calling. I run outside, but he is gone.

No, I haven’t paid them a penny as of yet. Incompetence is one thing (their other work wasn’t great either), but lying is another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

freeedr posted:

Just had my shower replaced due to a leak causing water damage.

Update on this. It helps to have money leverage over a company. They hired a different guy to come change out the water damage. They also previously put some marble pieces that didn’t match the rest in three places and they are replacing those this week. They also installed the shelves uneven and unlevel, so they are redoing those. I hope it goes better than last time.

Kind of surprised I got them to hire an external framing / drywall guy by saying I didn’t want their same team in here again.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

When it's pretty darn windy (note the portaloo blowing over) and you skimped on the diagonal bracing a little

https://i.imgur.com/iTjt1XH.mp4