Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

funkatron3000 posted:

The only real "fix" is just to slap another 2x10* over top of it, but that won't add much strength. Replacing the beam that's there would likely cause more damage than what we'd fix. Basically it just sucks and there's not much to do about it.

*and it's a 90 year old, full dimension, old growth pine 2x10. So, that'll be fun to match up with.

I'm guessing you moved, then. Where do you go to find a 90 year old house in gsbo that's not a craftsman slanty shanty?

I hope you fed that electrician to the cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Bozart posted:

Looks like it will be a weird wraparound deck with maybe a 3 season room under the overhanging thing. Might actually have a nice view from there.

Of Iowa?

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Modern power supplies don’t use transformers and are pretty good at their jobs.

Do we have new magic or is this just wrong? Isn't everything using a 60:1 transformer a rectifier and a 7805 or equivalent regulator to avoid burning 115-235v off as heat from a big resistor?

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Unexpected gradients will gently caress me up more than a step.

Here lies Proteus Jones, dead by accident whilst loving around in Deluxe Paint.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Wow. Let's see...

1. uphill drain
2. no coupling on the uphill drain
3. no slip washer on the uphill drain
4. no slip nut on the uphill drain
5. not a baffle tee
6. clamping the poo poo out of a disposal connector instead of installing more drain hose
7. no air gap (but it looks like that was a problem beforehand and that might not be required where you live)

You forgot:

8. Uphill drain has been almost totally severed a couple inches away from the tee

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

I have seen many, many homes (US) with copper drain lines, most installed between 1930-1975. Usually 1-1/2" to 3", tying in to a 4" cast waste line. They tend to last forever.

I had copper drains, installed in the 60s or 70s, and they work great until they don't. Failure mode starts with a small pinhole leak which you can patch with non-vulcanized rubber tape. Very soon after the pinhole develops, it will start to open up along the bottom and will just unzip entirely with a little bit of pressure on the bottom of the pipe.

If you own a house with copper drain pipes, my advice is to find some way to partially fund a PVC refit by selling the copper for scrap. Once one length of copper drain pipe starts to fail, that means the entire drain network is going to fail in short order. Best to replace it all when it's not an emergency.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

My house is 80% tools at this point, and not just because I live there.

By volume? What, is it a frat house?

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

It'll be nicer once I've installed some doors.

Link your thread, coward.

Lol nevermind it's on the front page of DIY

Joking about the coward bit; I'm just terrified that there might be a home reno thread I'm not subscribed to

dobbymoodge fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 3, 2020

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

How precise is your guess?

Neither do I, it's charming and I genuinely think the bathtub is cool.

(The swimmingly missing sink is roughly where the picture was taken from, along with a washer and dryer setup)

Washer AND dryer? That mostly rules out Czechia and Slovakia. The floor drain makes me think Finland, but I feel like old Finnish bathrooms would be more weird.

Poland?

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Curtains on the right.

I'm pretty sure the curtains are for privacy - there seems to be a set for the other window, behind the tub. There is an entry on the right, behind the curtain, but I'd assume it's a door.

The stairs slide is baffling, but the tub setup isn't all that terrible, IF: this is a single occupant or a couple's apartment, and if the whole thing was built correctly.

The chances of the latter are slim, however.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Darth Brooks posted:

The shelves. We're going to repaint the walls and the trim.

Looks better than I could do, but that floating wall looks pretty high. When you push on that top corner, does it want to rack? That could mess up your grouting and the caulk line where it meets the tub.

Also, is that the final trim on it? The gap at the top really jumps out.

I think the tiling looks fine, you knew what the spacers are for which is better than most bathroom DIY we laugh at here.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

Last time I dealt with load-bearing carpet was in a double-wide

Same. Tell your mom hi for me

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

deoju posted:

I hate these dumbass double hinged doors. You pull on them thinking they are normal, but then the more open they get the more the motion departs from a circular arch. Why do they even loving exist?

So the doorman doesn't need to stretch as far or lean or into the doorway as much?

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's the dang store chain whose stores looked like that on purpose?

BEST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Looks like typical Czech airbnb plumbing