Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Holy hell :stare: Reading this thread makes me never want to own property. If you buy something older, it's probably full of tiny death/poop traps. If you buy a new one, it's probably cheaply made AND could still be full of deathtraps. If you have your own built, you have to breathe down the neck of every guy who comes through there to keep them from doing dumb poo poo. This is probably too far off topic but how the hell do you find a good contractor/inspector?

The only stories I have are things I don't perfectly understand, so I apologize in advance. My mom's house is this big thing that the previous owner added a bunch of random pieces onto. He added an extra room on to one side. The inspector said something about it needing foundation work, so she had a contractor* open it up. Turns on the vertical framing 2x4's weren't attached to the floor ones, and also had been cut into in places so they were functionally 2x2's or so. The rest of the additions to the house were the same. Sunroom (built directly onto exterior wall) with pipes, but no heating, so they froze and burst. Good thing she wasn't using it for anything like storing boxes of unpacked books. Oh. poo poo. The guy also added a "mudroom" (who builds a carpeted mudroom?) onto the exterior wall by the kitchen. The window was still there. I believe the door didn't close properly, either. There's probably other stuff I don't know about. She's thinking of selling sometime in the next year so uh we'll see how that goes.

* Independent guy who only wanted to be paid in cash for tax reasons. I'm not sure if he ever finished the kitchen, and my mom let him and his daughter live there for several months without a written lease :downs: WHY NO SHE DIDN'T GET PAID. This guy was recommended by the previous owner so I don't know how that seemed like a good idea in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU