Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

I have a story from an old apartment I lived in:

It was a new building and I was the first tenant to live in the apartment. Shortly after moving in, I started hearing a high-pitched beeping sound. My immediate thought was that a smoke detector was running out of batteries, but none of the smoke detectors I could find were making the sound. I checked my apartment, the garage next to me, the neighbor's apartment. Nothing. I complained to the landlord and got no action.

Eventually I just stopped hearing it.

Whenever I would have company over they would immediately ask about the beeping and I'd briefly become conscious of it and tell them I had no idea what it was. A few people refused this explanation and tried to find it themselves, but ultimately none did.

When I decided to move out and into another place with my then-girlfriend, the landlord came over to give an inspection. His first question: what's that beeping? I nearly lost my temper and explained that it was the sound I had complained about several times but could never find. He walked up to a wall and turned around with a smile. "I know what it is."

Apparently, when they were building the building, they had to meet some sort of code requirement and had to place a second stairway in the house. As soon as the inspection was done, they walled up the stairway. That new wall was part of my apartment. In that walled off stairway was a smoke detector they had left inside. They were going to have to knock down a wall in order to get that smoke detector.

Assholes.

Total Party Kill fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Seriously, that seems like the kind of thing you should report.

Maybe I'll look into it. It was a long time ago.