Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Why the gently caress is one page backwards? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

sixide posted:

Any Alaskan goons around? I got to see some of the fantastic construction in our lovely 49th state when I visited. Unfortunately, most of the horror stories weren't open to the public.

Tyvek siding ought to be on the state flag. Also, I've never before seen 3 derelict trailers and some polytarp used to build a single family home until going to Alaska.

Hey buddy, them aren't no derelict trailers! They're someone's home.

I've done a bit of construction here and there in AK, and my favorite is the general dislike of getting building permits. I have no doubt the professionals get them, but I've worked on a couple houses helping people out and the general consensus is always 'I don't give a gently caress what the [city/borough/etc] thinks, they don't have to live here!' That said, the construction always seems pretty well done and solid.

My favorite is when people get as far as the Tyvek and then it gets cold so they say screw it til meltdown and you have a tyvek-decorated house for 4 or 5 months.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Oh man, I should dig out my pictures from when I was home shopping this spring. One house in particular was insaaaaaane. It was roughly 60 years old and I think had a new "addition" put on every 5 years.

I don't care what you say, that shower is cool and the backsplash is banging.