Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I guess this story can go here. The local gas company woke me up today to tell me that they have to install two beams to protect the gas manifold that is on the side of my house. I can understand one, on the side of the manifold that is facing the street, but the other end is facing my home, to back into it one would have already driven through my house. Whatever, they say that that have to do this work so I go back to my coffee.

They jackhammer up my garage slab (putting a new crack in it and getting concrete dust on everything) and put two 6' I-beams on either side of the manifold. They are also a good two feet higher than the thing they are protecting. To top it off, they are neither vertical, or square to the house or even each other. They poured some concrete mix in the holes and then added water, doing a piss poor job of mixing. Finally they paint the beams haze grey (over the oil and rust) and leave. I already complained to the gas company, but have don't expect to hear back till Monday. I will get some pics up when there is daylight. Still pretty pissed about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I was basically assigned the job of a civil engineer in Afghanistan, working with a police mentoring team. I got to go to several different job sites all over the Northern part of the Country and see/document/the work. Here are some of my favorite pics:

Look close at the bricks!

I have more, I need to find them though.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Nah, wall. I have some great electrical ones. One time we were driving through a small village with power and the MRAP antenna pulled a power line over to another and the short made a nice big flash and spark.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
No mortar. Normal brick construction. We had people sign off on buildings with no mortar at all.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Pile of Kittens posted:

A stonemason friend of mine says that they're going to key into the rebar with the second story, and that this looks like legit work to him.

Good to know your taxes were reasonably well spent then. Most brick structures there were without mortar unless we made the contractor use it. They would also use mud bricks unless we specified real ones. They tended to melt pretty quick.

I should add I am in no way qualified to do the job I was assigned.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My house is 1950s vintage as well, and it too has the box on the outside in the back yard. If not for a fence, it would be street accessible.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

kid sinister posted:

My wife and I are currently on honeymoon in Vietnam. I've never seen more half- and quarter-assed construction in my entire life. Don't get me wrong, all of the facades on the nicer buildings are absolutely beautiful, with their granite and tile work... The problem is that's the only thing that's nice, the surfaces. I saw some currently under construction. Underneath, it's just concrete pillars, beams and floors with brick walls. The rebar (if they have any) isn't fastened into place. You'll see some sticking out on the surface once they take off the forms. Plus I haven't seen one brick wall yet with every row level.

And don't get me started on the wiring! I have absolutely no idea how people here aren't shocked at least once on a daily basis. Free hanging wires everywhere with some low enough for kids to reach, no grounds, no breaker boxes. Instead they have per-floor or per-room breakers, most are surface mounted with exposed terminals. Some are used as the switch for the room. At night you can hear the plugs in the outlets buzzing from loose connections. Did I mention that it has rained every day we've been here? They have wiring like this outdoors too.

When I was in Afghanistan my MRAP antenna shorted out some powerlines propped up on saplings. A big spark was the only result. That town was lucky to have power. I need to find my pics from some projects.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Crappy construction eh?
From my time in Afghanistan.

Pics may be :nms: if you don't like poop.
http://i.imgur.com/oE4Lu4y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CXWza7q.jpg?1[url]
http://i.imgur.com/KInQxrX.jpg[/url]

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Ferremit posted:

We liquid nailed them to the walls! They took the sign, the paint and the first layer of render off getting them!

Put them in the spatdown zone. No one should want to peel poo poo coated signs up.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So out of boredom I looked up the permits issued by my county for my home. While I discovered that the owners up until the early 80s are dead and buried, and another previous owner lives around the corner, I also found out that my relatively new addition had no associated permits issued: :ohdear:
That explains all the crappy shortcuts I have found. And now I cant look up the contractor to at least make sure I never hire them.

On the good side, my sewer line was replaced with cast iron in 1990 so at least the 1952 pipe is out.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I was digging around and found some more! Here are the last of my Afghan Electrical Nightmares!

I actually was able to have these fixed. Too bad the power was only on a few hours a day I guess.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Wife and I are looking at houses right now. We live in the neighborhood we plan on buying in, and the houses are overall really good quality, just a little older, mostly built in the 1950s. Anyway we saw a nice one today, but in the kitchen near the sink I saw this interesting device:

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So it looks like we are buying the house with the weird power strip. The inspector claimed it was the best home he saw in the last month, and I already live in the same neighborhood in a home built by the same builder about 60 years ago. The guy did take care of it from what I can tell though, so I hope to keep any updates here to a minimum.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Bad Munki posted:

In my experience, people who aren't career landlords and are just renting a place or two that they have can make the best landlords ever. Undoubtedly, they can also make the worst landlords, but when you find the right one, it's awesome. I had four landlords between the college dorms and buying my own house. Three of them were "incidental" landlords, they were all loving awesome and those places were great. One was a semi-career landlord, and he was a huge dickwad and I would never rent a place from him again under any circumstances.

As a soon to be incidental landlord, may I ask what makes a cool landlord? A lovely one?

My wife and I just sold her co-op we had previously rented out and buying a larger home to move into. Our current home will be rented and is located about 1/4 mile from the new one. I am doing my best to repair and document everything I can before renters move in, and I know poo poo will break, but I would like to have a cordial relationship with my future tenants.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Bad Munki posted:

Hmm. I guess I would say:

1) Be reasonable. If something breaks that you would expect to wear out in your own home without abuse, fix it and don't be a jerk about it. Did the flapper on the toilet give up the ghost? Fix it. Is the fireplace giving them trouble? Have someone look at it. And don't wait a month before addressing something. There's no reason you can't call someone within 48 hours of your tenant reporting a problem, or a little longer if they call after CoB on a Friday, but in that case, be sure to line something up first thing Monday.

2) Don't be stingy dealing with routine stuff that happens between tenants. Paint rooms that need painting, shampoo the carpet basically no matter what, make sure all the bulbs are working, make sure the plumbing is working properly (no slow drains) etc. Those things are something you should accept you'll need to do between tenants, so just do it. If you keep the place in good shape that way, showing care for your property, you'll be able to attract tenants that will exhibit the same care.

3) On that note: the safety deposit IS NOT A loving CLEANING DEPOSIT. If you require a $500 safety deposit, that is ONLY for damages above and beyond normal wear and tear. It seems to be a 100% correlation between lovely, dickhead landlords and trying to claim 100% of the deposit so they can have the place cleaned (and then they probably won't actually have it cleaned, but that's a different bullet point altogether.) Since you assumed you're going to shampoo between tenants (which costs basically nothing, especially if you do it yourself), you only need to deduct from the deposit for the holes in the walls or the intractable stains on the carpet. THAT is what the deposit is for.

4) Be available in a timely manner, but don't hand around the place. In every case of "awesome landlord" for me, the landlord or a representative lived just minutes away. That can be bad, if that person decides to hang around the place all day. The tenants are there for the home, not you, so don't try to be a part of it. However, it's VERY nice if you're available when needed. Anecdotes: I had a landlord that built a threeplex, it was a perfectly reasonable place. He lived down the road and across the street for a while, and we almost never saw him except when we called. It was great. At one point, he moved into one of the spots, but that was fine too, as he mostly kept to himself and wasn't always knocking on our door. So it can be done perfectly well both ways, just don't hover. Another landlord, also a good one, he lived like 40 minutes away but his parents lived just down the street (he used to live in the place, but got a job out of town so opted to rent it out.) Since they weren't directly interested, the most we ever saw of them was if we all happened to be walking the dogs at the same time. However, when something as minor as the toilet continually running happened, we just rang up the landlord and his dad was over within an hour, took a look, ran to the store for some parts, and everything was fixed that afternoon, no questions asked, no complaints, not even a grumble, it was really great. And when the gas fireplace wouldn't light one fall, dad came over to look at it that day, we poked at it together for a while, and when we couldn't get it going, he called up a professional who came out within a couple days, replaced a rheostat or something, and we got it going. That place was nice because when a pro had to come in to fix something, the dad (acting as a rep for the landlord) would come over as well to be there while the guy was working, so someone was there with actual authority over the home while work was being done.

Umm, what else...

I guess 5) Don't try to fix everything yourself. Some things you can, that's fine. Little stuff you would normally deal with as a homeowner. But don't be the landlord that busts out the duct tape and bailing wire when he should be calling a professional.

I think the tl;dr: version of all that would basically be: the deposit is for exceptional, abnormal damage; treat the place like you still live there; be available for every day things and make sure your tenants are comfortable asking you about that stuff; and don't hang around like you still live there or want to be your tenants best buds. Unless it works out that you become the tenant's best buds, but that's highly unlikely, and if you think it's happening, you're probably wrong. ;)

This is really useful. Thanks for taking the time to write it all out. Like I said, I am pretty handy, but I do know when to call for help. I will keep this stuff in mind.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Serious question from the guy who likes to DIY, but has little training, and just a moderate amount of experience.

I see posters on here claiming that code is the minimum you should aim for, and I understand that, but I also fear that for the average guy, trying to exceed it may end up being worse. You may or may not know the reasoning behind that code. The more is better is not always the case, and many of us do not have a thorough understanding of stress, tension, shear, hot, neutral, etc. I feel that for those of us code is probably safer unless we have a trustworthy guide to hold our hand and explain why code says what is does. Anyone care to comment on that?

Content:

I posted this a while back, now I own it and the house it was attached to. Made in japan of all places.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I did not mean to mislead folks. I know the difference between hot and neutral, but I meant that a lot of people don't. People who may still feel up to messing with that stuff. I feel fairly confident on basic home stuff, I have installed GFCIs, swapped out a bad breaker and other fairly simple stuff. I do know electricians and know when to call for professional help or advice.

As for the sketchy power strip, I took it out the day I moved in. It was above the kitchen sink no less, although it was plugged into a GFCI which I suppose partially excuses its existence.

The rest of the house has been fairly well taken care of, but at about 60 years old, it has its issues.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Any idea how it will fare after 50 years? 75?

As the owner of a brick/cinder block home built in 1958, anything I should be particularly attentive to? Other than the usual lead/asbestos awareness?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Yeah, I see your point on how it has the benefits of both plywood and tyvec, with less labor.

As far as I can tell, the previous owner took pretty good care. There is a recently installed sump system inside the basement, with battery backup. As far as I can tell, it never comes on except to send the AC condensate out. The basement has a bit of slope, but the yard is well drained and the driveway slopes away and the house is on a hill that already takes the water away. I would like to have an exterior french drain, but as of now that is unlikely.
It has gutter helmet, but at the last good rainstorm I saw the downspout was clogged and it overflowed, soaking the side of the house. I cleared the clog, and it should be ok for now.

I hope to get some pics soon, my area has seedy developers knocking down the older brick homes in the development and putting up the usual faux colonial mansion things with lots of fake stone and brick facades and side walls with no windows and 10 miles of vinyl siding.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

kid sinister posted:

Mine is another 1950s brick and cinder. The biggest thing you need to watch for with any masonry building is cracks forming and mortar falling out. That can all be repaired fairly easily, except for maybe basement wall cracks. Those take a bit more effort to repair and seal properly.

The 1950s was the the balancing point for drywall becoming more popular than plaster, so you got a 50% chance of having either. Plaster cracks a bit more easily than drywall, and 6 decades is plenty of time for your house to settle and plaster to start cracking. Still, walls are easy to repair, they just take time and patience.

Plumbing might be a worry, particularly drains. That was a popular time for steel pipes, and steel rusts. 60 years of rust can make your pipes narrow and snaggy on the inside. Supply pipes were all copper then, those should all be fine except for things like rubber washers inside valves.

Electric should be fine too. Ground wires only first started becoming used in the 1950s, so you might get super lucky and be able to have 3 prong outlets. If you have lots of electric toys, then you might need to split some circuits into 2 circuits (they really liked to overextend circuits back then), or even upgrade your entire service.

60 years is old enough for all your major appliances to have been replaced 1-3 times, so there is no telling how well off your furnace/water heater/whatever are.

Thanks for the info. I am not too worried about much except the actual walls to be honest. I know the electrical has been upgraded, 200 amp service, new panel in 2012, new furnace, newish water heater, and we are doing the kitchen. The oldest appliance is the oven or dryer, both of which we will replace when needed. Drywall all around and mostly 3 prong outlets. We even paid a small fortune to have a camera look into the sewer line to the street as some homes in the area used that sketchy concrete/cardboard stuff. We have cast iron all the way. Like I said, water ingress and structural is what keeps me up at night.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
USAA told me no worries, that they would notify me if needed and that I do not yet need to get a new card. They said the same thing after target and then sent me a new card, I expect a similar thing this time. Whatever, I will just monitor my account activity. It has happened before, I am sure it will happen again.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

This is a neighbor's house. He is apparently a hoarder and has to live elsewhere. Nice guy but his house is falling apart. Makes me sad that eventually he will likely lose the house and a developer will put some monstrosity in its spot.

EDIT: Sorry bout the table destruction. Was posting on my phone where it looked fine.

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 18, 2014

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Someone here made the point that angieslist reviewers are largely reviewing work they dont understand, so take that into consideration. Still value there though.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Here in DC we just had out first snow of the season. Today driving home I passed a McMansion infestation/complex and noticed they all had clean roofs. Most of the areas homes still have snow covered roofs as the temp has not broken 28F since it fell. I wonder how much insulation the builders got away with vs how much the owners think they have.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It may not fit your definition of "proper", but you might try looking into a Japanese-style tub (shorter but higher/deeper, you just sit a bit more scrunched up, which I actually preferred). I had a tiny studio apartment when I lived there and it had one integrated into the shower, I'd take an occasional soak when my back was acting up.

(This photo is a fancier version, but you get the idea.)

Can the average floor support that if it is not on a slab? Seems like it might almost double the sq ft load over a normal tub? Pure speculation on my part though.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
If there isn't already, there should be a service where you can hire an inspector to monitor a home being built on behalf of the owners. They should have the awareness and ability to deal with issues before they are hidden or costly to deal with.
Don't know how you could keep him neutral in the process though as city inspectors seem hit or miss as well.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
The thread will be pleased to hear that today while driving through the wastelands of outer Fairfax County VA, where rampant development is the norm, I spotted a house for sale sign near a development. Featured at the top of the sign was the phrase "NO HOA"

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I think this might be a reason so many old houses are around still. Water was never willingly invited inside. You had a spring or well, and a privy both located away from the house. Water really is the houses worst enemy.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Fair enough. I also understand that old houses remaining are the lucky ones or just well built and or well oved unicorns of the house world.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

DNova posted:

I can't understand why any landlord would not want to know about any potential problems with their investment and furthermore not want to take immediate action to mitigate further damage. It's a huge investment, why are you letting it rot and become worthless? So you don't want to pay a roofer $300 to stop the leak and you rig up some elaborate funnel and tubing system to alleviate the symptoms while the water causes hundreds or thousands more in damage? That funnel photo looks like it's from a decent house, too, not even some already run-down piece of poo poo the owner wants to squeeze the last few months of semi-habitable rent out of.

As a landlord I agree with you but I think it comes down to the fact that not all landlords are as invested directly in a property as an owner. They may not be the one who bought the property and as a result may not care about much more than a rent check arriving on time. Myself, I try to fix anything I hear about the same day, but I live down the street from my rental, and I bought the house myself.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
http://imgur.com/3v6O0oH

Phone posting but just saw this wall of a building in downtown Frederick Md.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Just saw this today. Apparently having torches accent your business by igniting adjacient palm fronds is an acceptible way ro promote your business.
http://imgur.com/bgy6IWW

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
http://wamu.org/programs/metro_connection/15/05/08/flipped_off_how_dc_homebuyers_are_getting_scammed_by_developers_who_cut_corners
http://wamu.org/projects/house-flipping/#/part1?scrollTo=part1%23part1
http://wamu.org/projects/house-flipping/#/part2?scrollTo=part2%23part2
http://wamu.org/projects/house-flipping/#/part3?scrollTo=part3%23part3

The local NPR station is doing a week long series on poorly flipped houses in the booming DC real estate scene. Thought it might stir the pot a bit more.

One of the highlights was how inspectors seldom have incentive to look out for the buyer.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Project Tango is now $512. Still in dev mode but it will make a 3d map of a interior space using a IR sensor, some gyros and 2 cameras. Not sure how precise it is at this point though.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
http://imgur.com/cG7uxeP

How bout that crack?

This used to be a gun store. Rumor is the city was going to eminent domain the building and tear it down. City bought the building and then it was found to be some sort of historic building and now several years later it still stands with the city unable to do anything.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Our wing pallets we received in Singapore had bits of mahogany and teak in them. Some guys in the crew stripped those down for projects.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

LonsomeSon posted:

At least a quarter of deployed soldiers during ~The Surge~ lived in literal plywood shantytowns built inside larger structures, powered by daisy-chained power strips, which I am convinced were impossible to diagram due to their non-Euclidean nature. The strips, of course, were powered by containerized portable diesel-electric generators, and someone rearranging power strips three floors up might completely reverse your platoon's available power supplies in terms of which ones were 110v and which were 240v.

Every time we built a new structure, or added on to an existing one, the wiring detail's mantra would be along the line of "good thing we don't have to build this to code! :downs:"

Everywhere I lived we had 0 access to running water and unless you're talking one of the bigger Camps I in retrospect have absolutely no idea what firefighting measures were in place. I mean, I don't even know what we could have done; all of that plywood and particle board was as dry as you could imagine untreated, unmaintained, naked wood could be and if for instance my platoon's poo poo had gone up in flames it would have blocked every possible safe method of egress for everyone else on the upper stories of the half-built cement skeleton of an office building we were living in. Talking probably close to 200 guys, not counting the ~thirty-five who were on the bottom floor with me. US Army, best-equipped most capable fighting force ever to exist :wtc:

I was at a smallish Fob in Afghanistan with a largish Navy presence and somehow we ended up with a Firetruck, it was non functioning though. We did have a B hut fire, it was of course electrical in origin from a failed ballast, and we ended up finding it through the smoke with a Pas-13. Our hose was trash pump powered. No loss of the structure though.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
http://imgur.com/gallery/zbFJ3d3

Failure saved by paint?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

NancyPants posted:

This gently caress ugly bookcase:

http://imgur.com/gallery/m0k8a

Hey, his heart is in the right place and he is trying, I can't hate that. He just needs tools and practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
More active neglect here, but my hoarder neighbor who has moved elsewhere but still has the house is also letting it go to poo poo:

The front is not much better. He cannot even enter the home anymore due to the vines around the entrance. For background, this is in an area where if he wanted to sell (and has refused numerous offers) he could get half a mil if the house was in good shape.
Mental Illness is no joke.