Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

ibpooks posted:

Then he really shouldn't have chosen to live in a compact residential neighborhood. It's disrespectful to the neighbors to build something that is so out-of-place in the neighborhood; and then do no decoration, landscaping, architecture to at least make it somewhat visually appealing. It's a huge utilitarian building, larger in height, width, and depth than any house on the block.
My neighbour built an extension to his house - Tenant space for subletting.
The extension went up on the side of his house closest to the boundary wall with my property. His tenants now look down into the window just in front of the main bedroom closet.
All this on a 21000' property.

Even in less compact neighbourhoods, the building of huge structures tends to gently caress everyone around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

ibpooks posted:

No, the moral of the story is that people who do inconsiderate things, even if they're legally entitled to, are assholes. No one is arguing about the legality of building a large garage -- we all know it's allowed. I could mow my lawn 10' from my neighbor's bedroom window at 7:01 on Sunday morning because that's when the noise law stops. I don't because that would make me an rear end in a top hat.

And yes I agree that living in an HOA would be much worse than occasionally dealing with something I don't like. I don't believe that people should be disallowed from using their property, but they should show some respect to their neighbors out of courtesy and weigh their own desires against the desires of the community around them. For example, a builder of a garagezilla could take a small portion of the budget he was going to use for a few more square feet of brown metal siding and instead buy some landscaping or hedgerow to at least somewhat decorate his eyesore.
Consider my story. The monstrous building close to the boundary wall created a run off problem. His solution was to slab between the dwelling and boundary wall, drill holes in the boundary wall to alleviate pooling on his side and impolitely gently caress the PO of my home in the taint with a broken bottle. We live in a river valley. Maintaining a proper flow of run off, and collecting it where possible is critical since we get 28 inches of rainfall on average per annum. Doesn't sound like much, but the bulk of that falls in a 3 month period.
All it would have taken was a couple of hundred bucks extra to divert to the city supplied storm water drain conveniently located in front of his property.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

ibpooks posted:

In many areas improper discharge of storm water drainage is actually grounds for legal action against a neighbor. The PO probably could have sued or at least involved the city enforcement department to force the neighbor to deal with his drainage problem correctly.

Indeed, and it's a fairly simple process even here.
However, PO worked up a laundry list of code violations that would have resulted in a tit for tat. The sad reality of the matter is though, he was just too stupid to notice.