Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

Esser-Z posted:

We called them "Ed Specials" at my parents house, after the previous owner.

I call them "Rex Eddy productions" after a family friend of my first roommate. It's caught on with many subsequent roommates because it's really satisfying to growl, "Rex Eddyyyyy" :argh: when you find one of these.

My current rental is in decent shape now, but was a little beat-up when we moved in. (Based on the tour we took before we signed the lease, it seems probable that the previous tenants were using the place as an unlicensed daycare, so they didn't make a lot of maintenance calls.) These are the two things left over that we didn't have the energy to make the landlord deal with. None of these are technically contracting failures, but they just ain't right.

Daisy-chained outlet extender things in the front porch light. That is a superball on top of the light. We left it there because we're unwilling to mess with the structural integrity of this specific nonsense.

Rusty pencil sharpener anchoring a long piece of plastic twine. You pull on the twine to turn on the exterior light on the corner of the house several yards away. The plastic knife is decorative.

Rex Eddyyyyy. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

That pencil sharpener looks many many times older than that nice wooden railing you have there, meaning they pretty much went "How do I turn on a light far away? I've got just the thing!" :psyduck:

Now you're thinking the Rex Eddy way! And I could almost get the logic if they had somehow involved turning the handle of the pencil sharpener in the light turning-on process, but it's just anchored there to keep the wire from falling on the ground. A task that could be accomplished by basically anything else in the world, up to and including the railing itself.

And yes, it connects to just a regular pull-toggle, such as one would put on a normal light if that light were not attached to the roof and out of reach of any human hand.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

Jeherrin posted:

And relabel it 'magic/more magic'.

My former apartment had a unlabeled breaker. When you flipped it, a grinding noise would start emitting from somewhere in the ceiling. This was a duplex so I didn't have any attic access to see what the hell was happening up there. We used to say it was a retractable machine gun turret.

On reflection, I might want to stop renting from this company.