Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Friends of mine moved into a new apartment a few months ago. In the first week they notice a sagging spot in their ceiling. Landlord claims it is old water damage and not a problem. They keep pressing him and he agrees to fix it. When the repair guy cuts open the sheetrock 50 pounds of bricks fall out onto the floor. Turns out the apartment used to have a fireplace that was removed at some point in the past. Apparently they pulled out the firebox and knocked the chimney off the roof, but just left the flue in the attic and covered up the hole in the ceiling with a piece of sheetrock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

One Legged Ninja posted:

Did the magic spell that supported the piece in between finally run out? I can't imagine how they pulled out the bottom bricks without the rest of it falling immediately. Brick ties aren't that strong, and most people don't use enough/any in the first place. I hope I never become a landlord, because I'd hate to have to become that cheap.

I didn't actually get to see it, but I'm sticking with what my friends told me about it, because the alternative is that when they removed the fireplace they just demoed the flue and left all the bricks scattered around the attic instead of removing them. I can't imagine anyone being that lazy.