Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Phanatic posted:

Value is subjective. Lots of people value a safe and comfortable home more than they value authenticity.

You don't sound like you know much or at the very least confuse a lot of different things. But I guess anyone with a Hitler avatar is more than a little confused. I guess next time you buy something at the store you could try that "value is subjective" line and maybe it will work for you. :shrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I mean it's a makeup counter and they haven't installed the mirror yet. I'm hoping?

Those uneven counters would drive me loving nuts though.

Internet Google posted:

Standard bath vanity height is 30-34 inches, but 26-29 inches is more common for sit-down vanities.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Zillow should just put all their poo poo behind a pay wall. Problem solved.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
How does a small breeze not blow over a styrofoam wall?

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Iron Crowned posted:

Styrofoam is actually really good for impacts, it's why your car bumper is filled with it. Of course car bumpers also tend to have something more substantive than stucco on the other side.

It also tends not to have much flexability before it snaps.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

That would even be more awesome with extremely sharp edges so that anyone just walking by and merely bumping into them will be severely cut.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

I think the patterns on wallpaper can be cool and stuff, but wallpaper is such a horrible material to work with that it more or less ruins the wall you attach it to.

On the staircase to my upper floor, there was some good vinyl-based wallpaper that I started to remove. I found out that the plaster & lath walls underneath the wallpaper had some serious settlement cracks that the wallpaper held together. I realized my folly in trying to patch the cracks after removing the wallpaper and just put a thin coat of plaster over the wallpaper. Cracks are hidden and the wall looks great. I know the future owners of the house may hate me but this is going to last longer than if I simply replastered the cracks. The only other solution would be to gut the walls and place new drywall but gently caress that project. This is a tall staircase even at the landing.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I look at that cavernous living space and think, "I can build a comfortable house within this space."

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Back on topic. I built my house out of candles but parked my overheating Ford F250 pickup truck in the built-in garage. Now half the wall has melted. What is the proper way to fix this?

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Anyone want to buy a house land covered with lava?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/1_ah/L...sell&view=owner

edit: This one seems to be right in the middle of what is now a spewing lava fissure.

"This home was designed to stand the test of time and of living in the tropics."

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 11, 2018

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Blue Footed Booby posted:

A reply says it's seismic bracing due to SF regs. Possibly the design was completed just before the regs went into effect and the designer half-assed a fix?

Well at least it didn't go through the middle of the bathroom.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

quote:

The compressive strength of concrete masonry units and masonry walls varies from approximately 1,000 psi (7 MPa) to 5,000 psi (34 MPa) based on the type of concrete used to manufacture the unit, stacking orientation, the type of mortar used to build the wall, and other factors.

They are fine as long as there is no dead loads like furniture and no live loads like people.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

wesleywillis posted:

poo poo, you mean my camaro isn't safe to work under?

Again, same thing. As long as you don't put any horizontal or vertical loads on the car. No wind loads either.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Portland high-tech sweat shop. They cram 100 SE-Asian IT workers in there coding 24/7. The swimming pools are because they can't all fit in the 7 bathrooms. You can fit quite a few bunkbeds in those 6 bedrooms but still not enough for all 100 so they take turns sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

celewign posted:

It looks like a temporary thing. Still rude to not talk it out before erecting.

It was more than rude to tear down the previous iron fence which may have been placed there by the adjacent homeowner. The "property line" isn't his. It is the shared edge between two properties. If a fence is placed on that shared line by the neighbor, you can't just decide to tear it down whether you like it or not. Doing so is illegal unless you have a legal property survey showing that the fence is on your land. Even then you have to follow legal procedures to have it removed.

edit: Based on the picture, it looks like the "new" fence is completely on the neighbors property. In a situation where the neighbor tore down my antique cast iron fence, I would be extremely pissed off and at the minimum would erect a lovely fence like this.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 30, 2019