Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

You have a better chance of seeing Rachel descending from the rafters with a steel chair than having Wangnan actually die here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Maybe her bag is like Koon's bag and stores all her fans.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Rachel isn't even bother to lie to Baam anymore to try and manipulate him. He's not even useful as a tool to her. She's completely and utterly cast him away at this point.

And yeah, Baam was completely isolated for the early part of his life. Rachel is the one who taught him how to talk.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Whatever you think about Baam there's something incredibly satisfying about seeing him really cut loose with his powers.

Plus honestly? Screw Rachel. She's done nothing but manipulate/hurt/kill people since she's come into the Tower.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Jose posted:

Its been a while since we've seen crazy baam so its good

It was Daniel who got smashed into the ground?

Yup.

This was such a satisfying chapter though. I hope it doesn't just get defused next chapter.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Compared to other Irregulars we've heard about Baam's progress has been pretty relaxed.

Avulsion posted:

No matter how strong you are, there is (almost) always someone in the Tower who is stronger.

Unless you're the guy who is an actual god and became rank 1 right away.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 242 is up!

I'm thinking those guys are FUG agents. No one else in FUG seems to want Hoaqin back. Well, at least a significant faction of FUG doesn't want him back.

Ytlaya posted:

Didn't Mazino take 100 years to climb the tower? If so, I think Baam is more or less keeping pace with him.

I think so?

I was just thinking that the other irregulars we know of went straight to Zahard's palace or killed a Guardian. Compared to that, Baam's journey is pretty normal!

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 3, 2015

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I'm actually a bit annoyed by the idea of another time skip, even if it's only a month. Or another month of training I guess. Either way, feels like we've not had that much time pass since we had that skip post-Workshop.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

He's not going to complete it for a while since that would put him on par with Zahard and the family heads.

Decus posted:

I'm somewhat disappointed that he fast-skipped all of the train's games between Baam's incubation and the tournament, but at the same time the plot is moving forward to an interesting place so I can't complain too much especially if the tournament is itself more of a game than just a straight fight.

I'm not really disappointed since the first "game" we saw is just Baam beating up someone. I like the little self-journey.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Useless Name posted:

Even with FUG's hidden guys everyone they haven't come off as that powerful. 2nd and 20th floor admins are just in charge of the regular testing area, it's someone else who rules the entire floor. It just seems like the other powers don't really care about the lower floor testing areas. Most of the house family members probably reacted like Koon first did when hearing about a slayer candidate on the 20th floor, team princess only took notice of the FUG team until after they announced they killed Koon.

FUG can't even do secrecy right. The Zahard light bearer princess seems to generally know what they're up to, and at the end of workshop arc we find out that the head of one of the houses had been observing the entire event and had allowed FUG to get the thorn in the first place. As everyone climbs into the mid tier floors I think we'll see more of the power and influence of the Great Houses. Back on the second floor they made a big deal out of the consequences of helping an irregular, it would be nice to see that dark side of the tower.

Haven't we already seen the dark side of the tower? Reflejo's whole family was wiped out and he was blinded because he looked at a princess to be. Apparently the reason Jinsung is part of FUG is because the woman he fell in love with got sold and killed.

The 10 Families are awful!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Arie Hon is weird in a different way than I expected.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

No wonder why Khun wet himself when he first met Baam's FUG teacher.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

In another world we would be praising Rachel for climbing the tower filled with super humans with her wits and ability to make allies.

Jose posted:

i hope this is where he gets whatever power up he's hiding

Now he can throw three balls at once.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Coffee Mugshot posted:

It's funny because I'm sure that Viole, the slayer candidate and his crew are villains while Rachel, friend of Emily and Pop Idol Yuri Ha, is an aspiration for tower denizens.

A regular with normal talent trying to make her way through the manipulations of FUG while some sort of Tower blessed shinsoo monster obsessively pursues her.

Truly, we should all aspire to make the best of our situation like Rachel does, unlike other spoiled people who have hidden power and is best friends with all the Princesses.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Good for Rachel for trying to gain another companion through logic and cooperation as opposed to Baam who gets companions through divine intervention/being pretty.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I think it's a plan for something else given that two random people have already popped up and surpassed Jahad.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-244/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=325

Rachel did nothing wrong.

More seriously, it's interesting to see Baam finally move on. Too bad it seems pretty clear that he is walking along the exact same path Jahad did.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

You shouldn't really sympathize with Rachel. She can't poop lasers like other irregulars but she's blessed in her own way. She's deceptively smart, at least as tenacious as Baam, and circumstances end up in her favor.

Baam constantly makes friends/has people who thinks he's handsome but Rachel is able to surround herself with talented people as well.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hopefully Baam develops some more personality soon besides "likes friends" since it looks like his weirdness with Rachel is gone.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Baam should lose a hand and then Rachel can become his bionic arm.

So we've never seen the real Karaka yet. It's all been spare bodies.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I'm starting to think that 90% of the bad feelings people have about Irregulars are because of Mazino.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Obviously Rachel is going to get better and upgrade her barely loyal ally from Hoaqin to Mazino.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Cool chapter, cool enough for me to want to talk about. Was the nanny a lost princess perhaps?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Pretty close actually.

I'm really curious about the Snake Charmer now. I'm pretty curious about exactly who it's operating on behalf of. It doesn't seem like FUG or the Great Families which likely have no desire to have extra competitor princesses running around. Perhaps he's part of RED.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 15, 2018

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

SIU really loves 1 month time periods.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

"Who the hell is stupid enough...to consider a monster like that their sworn enemy?!"

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So instead of just copying other people Baam is making his own moves now. That's the spirit!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

EmmyOk posted:

Ah that explains it!

One final thing before I catch up myself and start earnestly reading blog posts, do we have any FUG rankings? Like their slayers perhaps or maybe the dude who trained Bam, or Hansung(?). I am thoroughly enjoying him constantly realising "wow people really hate real world me".

Grace Mirchea Luslec is apparently rank 15. He also does not have much oversight/control over the rest of the organization.

As for Baam's teacher, I like how he presents a very a very laid back attitude but the moment Koon sees him he freaks out since he has a reputation of murdering every 10 families member he comes across.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Good for you Rachel. He had it coming.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I think it's preposterous to say Rachel hasn't been gifted bullshit and given the lucky hand no one else has gotten. She hasn't had to suffer (as far as we've been shown) for any of the immense amount of gifts that have been dropped in her lap. It's either happenstance (being a big breeder right now, surviving because Androssi was interested in her) or straight up handed immense gifts (super powerful FUG team for climbing by betraying Baam, a literal magic guardian Headon handed her so she'd survive the floor of tests, magic fish thing Gustang gave her on a whim).

Say what you will about Baam and the absurd poo poo that's been given to him, he had to struggle a lot to get where he is, and still goes well out of his way to protect and help people regardless. Dude suffered years of emotional and physical abuse at the hands of FUG after he finally found a group of friends. And yeah, he's got super powerful friends but he's also got a lot of not so powerful friends. And they're all his friends because he's a really nice dude who cares about them deeply and treats them better than anyone else. Half his friends wanted to hate and kill him when they first saw him in chapter 2, after all. Dude had to work to get them.

Even if you think Baam is the luckiest person in this story (which is a stretch given how much poo poo he's had to go through), Rachel is easily the second luckiest in terms of asspull and silver platters.

I mean, we found out from the moment she entered the tower she was pretty much called garbage but was allowed to progress because powerful people wanted to manipulate Baam.

Baam on the other hand met a Jahad Princess who became his friend and managed to ignite a 13 month series needle. I think the whole Baam experience is best summed up by that FUG guy who had his eyes sewn shut and his family/friends/neighborhood massacred because he dared to look at a Jahad Princess as he plummeted to his death while watching another Jahad Princess save Baam's life. "This is some bullshit". I don't remember the exact chapter so my wording may be off.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Wasn't expecting the real Jahad to show up so soon but that is a good cliffhanger.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That's his enemy? I thought he was just the data copy that everyone who clears the hidden floor leaves behind. But I had no idea Androssi had a horn so I'm an idiot.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

This chapter really makes you appreciate how hard Rachel works.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I suppose we're supposed to think he's going to kill Baam. Killing Yuri for finding out about the 13 month's secrets seems reasonable too.

Anyway, it's nice for someone not Baam to get something cool that isn't a big fish.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Gologle posted:

Oh poo poo's about to get real real. Also, every single time I see some dude who looks completely different from everybody else, I'm reminded how varied the inhabitants of the Tower are. BTW that was an extremely harsh way to classify information, jeez.

Yeah. I'm a big fan of when we get something alien walking around.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Yesh posted:

I wonder if Rachel is Arlene's sister and was forced to babysit Baam.

I don't think Rachel is immortal.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So Androssi has taken the snake charmer as inspiration for her way of fighting now?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I thought that Rachel and Khun never stopped hating/wanting to kill each other like when the first time skip happened.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

To be fair that guy was part of a team whose purpose was to murder Rachel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Here's a link to the second of Rachel's season 1 epilogue chapters.

If she stayed with Baam, she could never be the heroine.