Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Baam was trapped in a cave. That was all he ever knew. Now, odds are he didn't spontaneously come into existence out of thin air, so presumably someone put him there for some reason. He is definitely a monster of some sort, though I doubt it will involve transforming or anything.

Also, someone must have been feeding him before Lahel came along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

The Holy Queef posted:

yup, they released some postseason shorts as well (comedy)

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/81506/tower-of-god_ch79_by_the-company

You know, I kinda like the author.

When asked by someone with the username KoonAgeroAgnis about who his favourite character was, he responded by saying he hated Koon the most. And when people asked him about himself, he just posted a screenshot of someone calling him a genius and zoomed in on it.

Anyway. Prince of Zahard, eh? At this point all leads point to it being Baam.

Which is exactly why I think it might not be Baam.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hietala posted:

Volume 2, Chapter 6 is here.

Is Baam "Lurker" on the board, since it looks like the black-eyed guy hasn't gone yet? Also, the score that the admin got is pretty funny when you look at the regular's scores copared to it.

Lurker is the loan shark. I only noticed it because I was just reading through the start of part 2.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

...FUG?

That's the criminal group Baam appears to be a member of now. It was brought up a few chapters ago.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Huh. I wonder why he's gunning for Zahard. Rachel was the one who betrayed him after all, so I guess either something must have happened in the timeskip or he learned something about Zahard.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
That was a good chapter. The author definitely has a sense of humour when it comes to poking fun at the androgyny of some of his characters.

Looks like at least a few of the regulars don't mind the idea of going against Zahard.

Slime fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 4, 2012

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

The name Hatsu sounds familiar. Has he appeared before?

I think he was the guy who had two swords. The Sword Which Flies Higher Than Any Other and The Sword Which Flies Lower Than Any Other.

He was the son of a potter.

Also it was mentioned that swords suck more and more as you climb the tower so I guess that might be why he lost.

Also, Rapdevil. That's a fantastic name.

Slime fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 4, 2012

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

FallenGod posted:

I wonder if it's odd that I look forward releases of this more than anything except maybe One Piece & Advance of the Giants? I read Naruto and Bleach less than an hour ago and I honestly can't even remember what happened in those.

It's not odd, ToG is honestly really quite good. Naruto and Bleach have gotten boring as poo poo. Sasuke can hardly be called interesting. ToG did a much better job of having a character become a sort-of-antagonist.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

So, does anyone else think that Baam is definitely not going to tolerate a test proctor trying to screw him this time?

Seeing as Love probably means to whack him despite orders to the contrary, it's more like Baam while have to survive.

He will probably survive with TEAMWORK and then oh poo poo all those new guys are screwed since they're now associated with FUG. Better keep them with him so he can keep them safe!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
New Chapter!

Akraptor's getting all protective of the kid. Maybe he does have a daughter after all.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Reiche posted:

I recall way back when the wave users were getting taught by that dude in the sheep(?) costume that Baam mastered some part of Shinsoo control that the teacher (who was a ranker?) was angry that it took him ten years to master. So in these five years that passed, I have to believe that Baam is monstrously strong with all things related to Shinsoo. That could also explain why he was still hurt by the regular bombs used. I don't think it would be too far-fetched to say that Baam is easily on the same level as this ranker. But we'll have to actually see what is going to happen between them first.

From what we've seen, it's entirely possible that Baam has near perfect control of shinsoo. Does he even need a contract with the guardian of the floor to use shinsoo like others do? I can't remember. Anyway, if he doesn't he could theoretically use up as much shinsoo as he drat well pleases, normal rules be damned.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I really wonder why he's made it so blatantly obvious that he's an enemy of the tower. He's basically made an open declaration of war. He's either incredibly confident or downright suicidal. Even if he can beat Love in a fight, there's no way everyone is gonna be like Love's boss and leave him alone. A regular taking out a ranker would be pretty drat surprising to the government of the tower, after all.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Nahxela posted:

Wasn't Baam surrounded by the corpses of other regulars when we first saw him in the survival challenge?

It was never outright stated, but considering there were like 3 guys face down lying in what appeared to be their own blood, there's a pretty good chance they were dead. If they weren't dead they were pretty hosed up.

Edge Zero posted:

Alternately, Baam fails the ranker's test and beats up the ranker anyway, but then makes a deal and plays the game with the floor master demon or whatever to pass.

This might be the only way he can successfully climb the tower, considering the opposition he's gonna face for being in FUG. I kinda wanna see more of the tower guardians. We've seen the ones for floor 1 and 2 so far, and we know Enryu killed one of them. That's meant to be some major poo poo, considering they were previously thought to be immortal.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Einander posted:

New chapter translated.

Oh man, poor Prince. Viole just does not give a poo poo about that guy. I'd almost feel bad for him if he wasn't such a ridiculous tool.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cbouncerrun posted:

Uh, I'm not quite sure what happened with Viole. He used shinsoo to hit the button or something?

Well, either he did that super goddamn fast or he used the body freezing ability he learned from that ranker way back in part 1. Neither of them seemed to be able to move, after all.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cbouncerrun posted:

People higher up in the tower have gotta have some sort of defense against that, it's getting a bit ridiculous.

I assume it's so ridiculously effective because of who's using it. He's been shown to be downright ridiculous when it comes to shinsoo after all.

vvv Unless of course he made a contract as soon has he hit the floor. It seems like an important thing that any wave controller would do. At least, that'll be what he tells people he did, since we drat well know for a fact that he can use shinsoo without the permission of a tower guardian.

Slime fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 24, 2012

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Sindai posted:

Depends on whether Black March digs dudes with long hair. :v:

If he got his hands on Black March again it'd probably work better, but not because he's gotten more powerful. It'll be because Black March totally digs long haired pretty boys.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Man, I can't help but like that guy now.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
A lot of the time when something focuses on a side character, they completely fail to make the side character likable or interesting. In ToG, I actually find myself liking the side characters quite a lot. When part 2 started, I was a little annoyed at losing all my old favourites, but then the guy goes and writes a whole bunch of new guys that I've now grown to like.

This chapter didn't even feature Baam, and it was still a drat good chapter. I don't even mind if Baam is ignored completely until the end of the test.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
New chapter's up.

Looks like things have started moving more quickly. I wonder who killed Rapdevil?

The author seems stressed! Maybe he should take a bit of a break.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cbouncerrun posted:

Oh, Viole=Violet. Not a surprise from the people who translated Rachel as Lahel.

No wonder Yeon thought he was a girl for a while.

Edit: Also, it looks like he translated Lurker as Locker. I kind of prefer Viole and Lurker.

I wonder how he'll translate Rapdevil? Because Rapdevil is a great name.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

cooldude2.0 posted:

I wonder how long it usually takes for a regular to become a ranker, and at what point they get to live forever. Regulars are so much weaker that they must all be planning on training for decades as they climb.

I think as you get more powerful (higher in the tower?) the longer your lifespan anyway. So even making it up to the 20th floor probably gives you a significant boost to your lifespan.

It's probably an effect of all that shinsoo.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
What a good chapter. From the way Viole(t) dealt with the worm guy thing controlling Yeon, he knew exactly what do to, which implies to me that he knows those two.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Spellcheck posted:

Question id like to put forth to my fellow readers. Would you say that baam hasnt aged physically between act 1 and 2? his bearing shows alot of mental change. But looking back, besides length of hair, his height and build remains consisten to even his flash backs to pretower. Is it just me?

It's not just you, I'm seeing it too. Isn't this meant to be 5 years later? I imagine it's due to his shinsoo abilities. Rankers are downright immortal, aging wise.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

HenryEx posted:

I'm so loving close to staking a dead or alive bounty on that Crazy dude's head.

No seriously, how have they not kicked this creepy disgusting asswipe off already? Excellent chapter apart from that (which makes it all the worse somehow...).

This is exactly why I've been reading the version translated by another guy that gets put on imgur. A little harder to read, and honestly I prefer the names of The Company's translation (Viole, Lurker, Rapdevil are all better than Violet, Locker and Lobdevil). But my GOD do all those terrible little translator notes piss me off. What's so kinky about putting your fingers in a girl's mouth anyway?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
At last! ToG is about the only media I actually consume as it comes out these days.

Anyway, Horyang specifically referencing Viole's creepy lobster exoskeleton ability is pretty interesting. He seemed to have some idea of what it was back when it was first used too.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Creeper translation is out, in case anyone wants to read a better* translation.

*Thank god Rachel is still ugly. :thumbsup:

Oh, so it turns out Koon WAS talking to Ship.

I like that guy.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hietala posted:

Unless she's actually the irregular, and not Baam. When she arrived on Haedon's floor he told her that she wasn't the one he was waiting for, and Androssi had a strange feeling about her and decided to avoid fighting her on F2. :tinfoil:

Rachel's an irregular, but doesn't seem particularly powerful. An irregular is just someone who's entered the tower uninvited. To do this you need to be strong as gently caress, usually. But Rachel piggybacked on Baam's entry. He (I think) opened the way by his sheer power, but actually has an invitation, so technically he's just an exceptionally powerful regular.

On that note, were Zahard and the family heads irregulars? They have the power of irregulars, but considering they seem the be sanctioned by the guardians they were probably invited. Like Baam.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

If Baam came from outside the tower, then obviously Rachel did as well.

Thing is, what exactly to people mean by outside the tower? Because there's the main tower which people climb to become rankers, there's the outer tower, where people live, and then there's outside the tower proper. And I believe there were people already living in the outer tower before Zahard arrived.

Also there was Zahard's symbol in the cave Baam lived in. It's quite possible that Zahard was a prominent figure outside the tower before he climbed, so that doesn't really throw out the idea of Baam coming from outside the tower completely.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cbouncerrun posted:

She beat the poo poo out of everyone during the Crown game, so that's kinda cool I guess. I don't think she's technically a regular though, so it's not too surprising.

Nope, she's a ranker that managed to start climbing the tower again, thanks to Headon. Considering she's still around with Baam, she's probably with FUG.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Well. That explains an awful lot.

It sure does! It seems a little odd the way they talk about Baam, though. I mean there have been other irregulars who could have done the job if they were powerful enough. And there are, since there are 2 irregulars ranked higher than Zahard. Baam seems special even for an irregular.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cathair posted:

Also, Baam getting strong enough to take on Zahard doesn't necessarily mean that he could take on FUG. Last chapter revealed that Zahard's contract is FUG's real obstacle, which implies that they could have enough combined combat power to kill him already- just no irregulars. With no such special protections, Baam could still be threatened by FUG.

Not necessarily the only obstacle. While the contract states they can't attack Zahard, couldn't they work on destabilizing his government? Seems to me that they don't have the manpower to take on Zahard's cronies either, which is why they want to cut off the head of the beast directly.

Also I'm REALLY wondering why she's telling Wangnan all of this stuff. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd want people to know.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Viole clearly has had enough of FUG's poo poo.

(That and their plan makes even less sense now. They not only want to make him a god who hates them, they're preemptively killing off their leverage on him :suicide: )

The "make Viole more badass" part of the plan is clearly working, though.

It'd make a lot of sense if bunny-ears isn't exactly in the loop about a lot of things regarding FUG, hence why she's kind of loving things up.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Oh, it's an eyeland.

And the plot is moving forward too, I guess.

The best bit was the eyeland though.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
On the current topic, if you put the soul of a living ignition weapon into a weapon, does that make it a double ignition weapon? Obviously the demon is needed, and so is an irregular, so it looks like they'll need Baam and the demon together. I also wonder how long Baam has been a living ignition weapon. Did it happen in the timeskip when he got picked up by FUG, or has it always been the case?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
One thing I remember is that Black March refused to work for Yuri, but worked for Baam. So not only did it retain a personality, it has the ability to choose if it actually works or not. Unless they've found a way to prevent that, or the 13 month series was deliberately made with free will and the same isn't true of most ignition weapons, then putting Baam in the thorn will just lead to a weapon that can decide it doesn't want to work.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

FUG isn't after Rachel because she already plays along with them. Unlike Baam, she's willing to use their patronage to her advantage.

I think the current consensus is that the other family heads entered the Tower alongside Zahard the way Rachel did. Being born outside the Tower seems to give someone an extra dose of potential within it.

I don't think that's the case. I think it's more that in order to get inside the tower uninvited, you need to be pretty powerful. I'm willing to bet that people on the outside aren't any more powerful as those on the inside, just that people who can get into the tower with their own power are already total powerhouses. Add in that it's very likely that it's literally against the laws of the tower to kill Zahard, it's pretty likely that anyone with the potential to top Zahard's power is either killed by his forces or crushed by the tower itself. Who knows what those guardians are doing?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Considering the lowest ranked family head is 17th out of all rankers then yeah, the family heads tend to be pretty powerful. The top of the ranker list is basically the 4 big name irregulars (if you count Zahard as an irregular, which he kind of is), then a mishmash of family heads and zahard princesses with a couple of oddballs, like the leader of FUG.

The ranks aren't really absolute indications of power, they're granted by people from within the tower. It would be no real surprise if someone's rank was determined by their political clout as it was by their actual abilities. The heads are probably pretty drat powerful sure, but you can't really use the ranking system as a precise indication of just how powerful.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

rizzen posted:

So I finally got around to reading the Company's version of the last chapter. Their translation of SIU's extra blogwhateverthing should shed some light on Rak's fluctuating size. Looks like the floor Guardians have the right to organism compression. So with the permission of the Guardian, bigass gators can control their size.

It kinda makes sense, really. I know the main reason Rak gets small is because when he's big he's a pain to draw, but from an in universe point of view it makes sense that if a Guardian can make someone tiny it'd be used on someone Rak's size just so he can like, fit through doors and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
It's easy to forget that among most regulars, Rak is probably pretty high up there. It's just that we've got Rankers, Princesses of Zahard, FUG members, Family members and Irregulars all over the place so he seems weak by comparison.

Speaking of FUG, is everyone involved in the workshop tournament either a FUG member or involved with them in some way? Because it seems to me that the workshop is pretty thoroughly compromised by FUG. I wonder if any other parts of the Zahard regime are similarly compromised.