Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Chapter is out, by the way.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/82259/tower-of-god_ch80_by_the-company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

I'm hoping that 1) that's Baam and 2) Baam will turn around, smile, say hello, and politely ask if the two of them can leave each other alone. Nothing says the irregulars have to defeat the others to move on or that only a certain number can progress, just that they need to survive until the time limit. I'm betting the test proctors are going for an 'exact words' trick here.

And 'generic shounen protag'? What, like Baam was? :v:

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Cross-posted from Manhwa thread:

Tower of God (Batoto, since the Batoto link on the scanlator's page is wrong) updated. It's pretty okay, but pretty clearly a set-up chapter.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

New chapter translated.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

There wasn't a villain for part 1 because it wasn't about triumphing over a person, it was about Baam climbing the tower. Wangnan doesn't have an established Big Bad yet because he has that same goal. Viole might, but he's deliberately being left as a cipher. If Zahard personally came down to kill his puppy, we're not going to know for a while yet.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I don't think Rachel was a master manipulator. I think she was basically a normal person who ended up in a pivotal role by accident. She got special treatment including her hand-picked super team only because the administrators wanted to use her as a weapon against an irregular.

Rachel was fond of Baam, but not to the degree Baam was obsessed with her. Once her legs got messed up, her only hope of climbing the tower was to take the deal to kill Baam. Ultimately, she valued her dream more than she did Baam. Also, she was too afraid to accept Baam's offer to accompany him up the tower because of how many enemies he had just by existing.

A few corrections:

One, Rachel's legs work perfectly fine. She was faking the injury to garner sympathy. It also helped her take Baam off-guard; you'll see that she's standing when she shoves him off. It's foreshadowed at a few points before that, too.

Two, Baam is not being treated as an enemy. Considering events with Headon and the Guide he was given immediately after Rachel's betrayal, this was just a way to get him where they wanted him going. That's up, not out. If they wanted him dead, Hwa Ryun would have killed him when he was helpless and injured and alone.

Three, she didn't do it because she was afraid. She was told that doing that to Baam was the price of her climbing the Tower, and she decided to pay it. That's it.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Cbouncerrun posted:

So I just found out the author did a Maplestory/Tower of God crossover for Maplestory's 9th anniversary. It's obviously non-canon by the way.

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3

It takes place post-timeskip, so not sure if those are supposed to be Rak, Koon and Androssi's post-timeskip appearances or what. Androssi has her shields back which make it even more confusing.

If anyone is interested in actually reading this, quote the post. Standard
code:
"imageshack"
auto-ciphering applies otherwise. (Imageshanty really should be taken off the list, since that appears to be an actual site now...)

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

The Company version is up. Even if you already read it, the note from SIU they translated and included is interesting.

Something I didn't notice the first time I read. I was randomly looking through the Tower of God wiki a while back, and I was reminded that Yu Han Sung (instant coffee guy, the test director for floor 2) has the nickname of 'Submerged Fish.'

The 20th floor test director was talking to Submerged Fish, which means that Augustus and this floor's events were part of that conspiracy. So apparently Baam joining with FUG as Viole was planned. Headon being a part of the conspiracy is an even bigger thing now, since he's one of the Tower's more powerful Guardians and the one who selects Regulars.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing Yuri do things again. She never showed up for long, but cool things happened when she did.

Plus, if she does, we might see Viole get Black March in a more permanent capacity. Not enough rapiers in anime.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Does anyone know what the "slayer candidate" of FUG is supposed to be? If I had to guess it would be that he/she can slay Zahard but I don't think it has really been explained.

There are a maximum of eleven Slayers. Slayers are appointed to one day kill Zahard and the heads of the 10 Families, so there's one Slayer for each of them. There's four empty spots right now, apparently. Aside from that, we don't know much.

I'm half-expecting that the slayers are 'assigned' a Family when they're given their position, just so we have a chapter ending with something like "Viole Jyu Grace, you are now the Slayer of Koon." (Grace himself has probably called Zahard already, after all.)

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

...well. Koon just shot way the hell up my "favorite characters" list. He was pretty cool before, but... drat. Just... drat. That speech.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Koon knows about Apple betraying him, and Apple told him to hire the other guy. They're going to be long gone by the time he gets back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

pinegala posted:

Cool. And what's with all the red ring gazing/people being dodgy on page 14?

They probably didn't notice that Wangnan's been wearing a ring with the Zahard eye crest until now; it's harder to hide when he's unconscious. Scar and Pyrotsundere are confused as to how in the heck he's up and moving so soon after, as page 13 notes, he was stabbed right in the heart.

I'm curious as to whether Wangnan's going to be a Super Hidden Potential kind of character or just an unusually durable normal guy with Zahard connections. I'm suspecting the latter, since we already have Baam for the first category.