Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Why does Koon want to know so much about Baam's past anyways? Or was that another fakeout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Just seems like a weird priority and something easily solved by asking Baam directly since he's honest. It also seems unlikely that Khun doesn't know at least as much as Rachel. Of course, we as readers know that and maybe neither character does.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Shugojin posted:

Yeah Khun can't ask Baam because he simply doesn't know what the gently caress was up with that hole. Where was it? Why was he in it alone? How did he get there? Why was Rachel able to get in and out?

Does Rachel know these things? Other than how she was able to move freely? I just don't believe Rachel knows that much about Baam's past or anything really. She's chasing a starry night sky or some poo poo, right?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Yeah, Rachel didn't know poo poo. Don't know why Khun even thought that.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Yuri is actually just a really powerful anti-fug soccer mom cheering on her children. Love every one of these characters too much.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I see this ending as pretty hopeful that Baam will be adopted as a sort of protege/apprentice of Yuri and Evan. Maybe the characters will split across Yuri's crew and the Wolhaiksong. I could imagine Hwayrun and Baam becoming a parallel/new generation version of Evan and Yuri, for example. They need to form some solid teams if they want to continue to climb the tower and so far it's been a haphazard bunch at best. Maybe Hwayrun would end up going with Sachi Faker and some other crews, though. Lots of good possibilities.

EDIT: I forgot about the Emily making it difficult for guides to see the correct path. Was Evan actually ever affected by this?

Coffee Mugshot fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 28, 2016

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Shakugan posted:

Really? Baam was much more interesting a character as Jue Viole Grace. If there are two things I think are unfortunate in ToG, it's that there are so many cool characters who we never see for extended periods of time (fortunately it looks like this next arc will be changing that), and that Baam is a total wet blanket who would have benefited from some character development after his stint as JVG instead of regressing back into exactly the same person he was pre-JVG.

That's kind of the point though. He's developed a lot before he entered the tower but overall, the tower has no influence over him. He walks his own path and part of that is denying the fake powers in the tower and his personality is a big part of that.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Rachel is looking for a thorn, baam will give her his thorn then stomp her crew and move on.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Actually the best character is the literal shinsoo master they carry around in a sleeping bag all the time and the second best character is when he's awake.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Shugojin posted:

I thought about how Baam is pretty much an invincible plot device at this point and frankly I'm okay with it since it's the story about a foreign entity no one in the Tower is prepared to handle bringing change to the Tower itself. He's kinda boring as a character but I like seeing the whole weird world change around him.

I don't really see how you think Baam is an invincible plot device. His only challenge so far has been Joaquin. I mean, it's true that he didn't get casually murdered by the dudes like Urek and the ranker, but those weren't actual battles at all. He's surprised a lot of people for sure and he has potential.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Hmm, I see that as different now. Baam is a bit preoccupied with Rachel but I think he's moved on past doting on her every move at all times. He is more interested now in understanding his power and its source. He and Rachel have had quite a bit of closure lately. This still makes him stand out because everyone else is focused on the power structure already existent in the Tower, which is something that Baam is largely unaffected by to his knowledge.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
If Kaiser is defeated, I don't see why the floor guardian would even bother with the mechanics of this silly name stealing game.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I like how they made rak lose. He definitely lost to the ignition weapon they gave inieta.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Maybe, but the khun family is pretty stacked. Ehwa is still figuring out her poo poo, but she's going to be a monster later in this series.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I love Dan. "How come I didn't detect him a moment ago?" "Whew, I haven't ran like that in a while"

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

It sounds like the Kaiser might be staying on this floor against her will (like maybe Jahad ordered it or something).

It's a slavery pyramid scheme and they want to see if Baam has the economic know-how to destroy it.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Slave In Utero with the biting sociopolitical commentary

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I mean, there's literally one known guy in the Tower who can absorb shinsu. It's just really convenient and Khun has a nice way of playing it off as just as keikaku.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-217

In which Baam realizes he forgot to bring his bleed flask to the atziri fight...

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I think if Baam beats her two special abilities and puts her perceived suffering and duty into perspective (everyone on that station is overreacting, tbh), she'll join the harem and give up the whole slavery narrative. I'm more worried about the aftermath in the tower from ruining their little slavery ring than I am about Kaiser's weak motivations for running it.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Yeah, basically. Also, you can already see the effects of having a slayer candidate do things like this: the people in the tower end up looking to FUG as the authority instead of the Zahard's. All anyone would have to do at that point is whisper FUG's name into the wind and the slavery ring would blow up again.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
http://webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-218

Laure confirmed to be the strongest character.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm yuri zahad, completely flabbergasted by the turn of events

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Maybe he used to wear a wig like his son, Viole, and now literally no one can tell it is him.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Honestly things only go bad when Laure is awake, he's like an unconscious protective ward

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Tower of God: Frog? No. God.

Alternatively, the final boss of frog fractions appears.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Shugojin posted:

Jesus christ

also I hope you're happy Karaka because you're about to teach Baam your World of Darkness skill

As if Baam didn't already learn that skill, how to ignite the giant rear end sword, and doesn't already have a copy of the frog ring in 3 different colors

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sarcophallus posted:

As far as we've seen, he's only copied things he's been hit with.

Speaking of, did he ever use Urek's super cool attack after being hit with it?

I don't think that's true, though? His so far signature move, Fast Skip, or "reverse-flow control" (i.e. Stop) was learned from Quant just by seeing it once. I'm pretty sure he learned Necromancer from Daniel by just watching as well. He also learned a bunch of moves from the Test Admin, Mule Love, when they had their weird baseball game, although some of those were attacks that hit him. It's pretty clear Baam is just able to do "shinsu reading" like Laure does while sleeping and him getting hit with an attack has nothing to do with that. That being said, he's not some conjurer or something so it's like he can summon Adam's Glove or Frog Ring or anything for that matter, but he definitely could have learned World of Darkness. We actually haven't seen how much his shinsu reading has increased since he fought White so this would probably be the time to reveal that he's learned every move on the island already.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
So uh how is Wangnan supposed to be Karaka's brother? I feel like I missed this plot completely.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
This conversation will be funny when they reveal that khun princess is involved because she is allied with Rachel

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mulva posted:

It's not a mystery, she's literally the only person he ever knew of before entering the Tower, and she found him in a loving cave sealed off in the darkness. She was his entire world before the Tower, and he can not understand why she'd betray him just to climb the tower.

Yeah, I feel like these arcs have been good at giving Baam perspective on why people do these things to one another just to climb the tower. And because he doesn't feel that draw and he's some ultra-powerful god backed by Evil Inc., he's trying to change that. Also, he probably still considers Rachel a friend and feels that he should help her get her dream of seeing stars, at least.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I hope Baam isn't turning into Sasuke right now.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It's funny because I'm sure that Viole, the slayer candidate and his crew are villains while Rachel, friend of Emily and Pop Idol Yuri Ha, is an aspiration for tower denizens.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

It's interesting how they're bringing up the fact that Wangnan's ability to attract other people just results in them getting killed if he's not competent enough.

I think it's compelling for him to change as a character, but actually unfair, at least in this situation. Their plan was actually pretty good and competent enough, but too risky. And, unfortunately, they were simply outmatched in both ability and cunning since they are up against Emily and a Slayer Candidate. Also, it misrepresents Akraptor's and Prince's sacrifice as being Wangnan's fault when they did it because Wangnan gave them hope and they believe in him, seriously. I guess SIU is trying to draw parallels between Wangnan and Baam, who both have a serious case of the Shonen Protagonist and cannot accept losing people to their ideals.

The floor of death should be interesting because it will be an opportunity for Baam to see if he has enough power to actually oppose the tower's guardians and an opportunity for Wangnan to clear his conscience by sacrificing himself to the tower.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I think it's shifted a bit. Seems more like Baam feels responsible for her actions since he still considers her his closest friend (which is creepy if he's not Shonen) and has some power to help her reach her goals. Unfortunate because I'm pretty sure he's going down the obito route with power here. He's going to watch Khun viciously murder Rachel and then pretend to be Jahad and hypnotize the entire tower into being peaceful.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jose posted:

this seems as good a thread as any. i only read ToG, god of highschool, gamer and noblesse. any other webtoons worth reading. only want action really and preferably something on wednesday/thursday for when i'm having a poo poo at work :thumbsup:

Honestly, I picked up sidekicks (Wednesday) and ended up liking it a lot. It's not as inspiring as the webtoons you listed but it's good. I think everyone should be reading Newman and Dr. Frost, but I don't know what days those are out.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It'd be weird if someone as good as finding people as Rachel didn't notice how hosed up Baam and didn't deliberately try to get rid of him. I'd be surprised if she didn't already know a lot before joining fug about his soul eating gimmick.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm really impressed with the "villains" in this story; they're so proactively threatening and relevant in this huge world. I thought Emily was going to be a sort of macguffin and just as keikaku dispenser but it's just straight up extra information that allows Rachel and crew to be a step ahead of everyone in the Tower when it comes to knowledge share.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, this is the difference. Though it makes sense for most regulars to not care about reaching the real top, since I think it's literally impossible for them to do so unless they get Jahad's key or whatever that's stored in the rings.

I'm wondering how exactly Rachel will be able to keep Wangnan's cooperation if they end up sacrificing Miseng on the Floor of Death (which I think was the reason they decided to hold onto 2 hostages?).

I think it's just another contingency plan on their part. It seems that their real plan was to lure the new guy onto the train since he found a way off that floor. Joaquin will probably eat her anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It just seems like irregulars are able to control more Baangs in general. I don't know why this particular ability is supposed to be different, but it seems like irregulars are able to pull whatever shinsoo is made out of from outside the tower itself. The guardians provide the shinsoo in the tower overall, perhaps more shinsoo the higher up. High rankers have been able to hold like 30 baangs, but Enryuu was able to pull out like 10k baangs once which just doesn't even sound like it would be possible if every guardian in the tower combined together. I have a feeling that the thing that is unique to him as a irregular is the WAY he learns this ability, not the ability itself. Being able to analyze shinsoo at such a detailed level which is improved if it interacts with him directly is probably what's being referred to as unique.