Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Ween, undoubtedly my favorite band has recently release a two disk set of unreleased b-sides and rarities that are from 2001-2003 during the Quebec sessions. If you have someone never heard of ween, you are really missing out. They have a very wide range of songs, and a very nice catalog of music starting from their teen years when they started as a two piece with a drum machine.

They also are one of the few bands that I know of that have practicably every show recorded by fans and available freely online. They also have released a lot of b-sides tapes for free, which I love and wish other bands would do the same.

They haven't released much in the last few years, but recently surprised everyone with this new two disk set. I'm enjoying this immensely and recommend everyone to check it out. Even though they are b-sides, they sound amazing.

Deaner posted:

ween-caesar (we were calling this record that until the last moment when we decided to change the title to "quebec")

well what can i say about this here, lemme see. the first thing that comes to mind is that all the while we were doing this we still had claude coleman on drums, he eventually got into a major car wreck and wasn't around when it finally came time to make the "real" record. instead the drum duties fell on me, josh freese, and sim cain for a couple of tunes. almost all of this was recorded at our beach house in holgate, nj onto 16 track tape. a tiny bit of it was recorded in the garage behind aaron's house in pt. pleasant, pa. some of it was recorded in the spare bedroom of my house in new hope. most of the tunes are just me and aaron, with the two of us playing everything, with me on drums. the songs with claude, dave, and glenn are pretty obvious. on just a few tunes we took what you hear here and cleaned them up and had andrew weiss mix them for the record after some overdubs. dave sings on "it's gonna be a long night", this was days before he had surgery to remove polyps in his throat and his voice was really rough so we figured he was the guy for the job. This isn't even all of the tunes that we ended up choosing from, just the ones i happened to burn to cd before we drove home from the beach every week. hope you dig it for what it is.

-mickey (August 11, 2011)

You can grab it for free from here http://ween.net/

Also available on their bittorrent site, which also has a shitload of live shows. https://www.browntracker.net

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks for this. Ween has been my favorite band for about 18 years now. After Chocolate and Cheese came out I didn't listen to any new releases until a few years ago, when a friend turned me onto their more recent stuff. Quebec has since become one of my favorite albums by them. I'm at work now but I'll be downloading this as soon as I get home. There are several tracks I'm not familiar with.

I've seen them live twice - once in Atlanta at the Masquerade in 1994 (I think), and once in Baltimore at the Sonar a few years ago. The Baltimore show was loving epic and I was lucky to have made it back to DC alive and not in jail.

I considered making a Ween thread for a while so I'm glad to see this one :)

Have you read the 33 1/3 book about Chocolate and Cheese?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Yes! They are one of my absolute favorites but I was unaware of this release, thankyou!

Best band I've ever seen live, only saw them twice on back to back nights since they don't come to Australia much :( But they played 2 3hr shows and only played one song more than once (Fiesta). I know that's not unusual for them, but unusual for me to get such great value. Really hope a new album is in the works ... I remember there was talk about it but something happened to their farmhouse/recording studio or something from memory, structural repairs or something so it was put on hold? 4yrs is too long to wait for new Ween, so this will do for the mean time.
I've heard a few of these unreleased songs but a lot I don't know. I just recently found a few on youtube I'd not heard before ... mostly impressed with the Belvadine and Be My Wife ... even those 2 songs back to back shows what amazing versatility this band has.

edit: Listening to this now and got to 'My little country cottage' and lost it, this is awesome hahaha.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 20, 2011

Deathcake
Nov 16, 2009

get UPI!
This is exciting. I was going to see those fuckers in Hartford, CT a few years back, figured, "hey, it's Ween and it's Connecticut. I'll just buy tickets at the door." I got there and they were sold out, and not a scalper in sight. In fact, people were going around ASKING if anyone had tickets to sell. I think more people like Ween than let on.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

This is awesome, thank you! Quebec is not only of my favorite Ween albums, but one of my favorite albums period.

It never fails to astound me how cool these guys are. It's almost too good to be true when you consider the amount of free music they make available for their fans AND the quality of it.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
gently caress yes, this has made my day.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

me your dad posted:

Have you read the 33 1/3 book about Chocolate and Cheese?

Not yet, but definitely something that I want to pick up soon.

Glad to see a few other fans here. It always seemed odd to me that there is no ween thread here.

Here is one of my favorite unreleased tracks from them.

Kim Smoltz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K65dRRa3GoM

There isn't many bands that can go from that and then also do this

Pass the Bong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z67_Y1__Nzo

It really amazes me how good even their unreleased songs are. There honestly isn't even really a song that I skip of theirs. And hell, they actually made a country album that I enjoy and it's the only country album I'll ever own.

Here is a clip from one of my favorite live recordings of them, from 91 when they were just a two piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HttyIV2n8DY

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 20, 2011

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Not yet, but definitely something that I want to pick up soon.

Glad to see a few other fans here. It always seemed odd to me that there is no ween thread here.

Here is one of my favorite unreleased tracks from them.

Kim Smoltz

Awesome I never knew that was the name of that song! I always just knew it as something that apparently ended up morphing into Pink eye on my leg.

But you're spot on with what I mentioned about going from one song to something totally different when I found:

Be my wife
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P6jrs8JYQE

to the Belvidene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5gYXz6yH0E&feature=related

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just look at the amount of unreleased stuff they have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmYd_rzmExQ

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

They upload videos too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzYykIA1xVg

quote:

This is one of my favorite tv clips of us. "Pure guava" was still a new record and we had just written this song. I think this is one of our last performances as a duo. This was filmed early in the morning and we were very stoned.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
I saw the video for "I Can't Put My Finger On It" on an episode of Beavis & Butthead in the 90's and I've been a fan since. Thanks for the heads up.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.

Illegibly Eligible posted:

I saw the video for "I Can't Put My Finger On It" on an episode of Beavis & Butthead in the 90's and I've been a fan since. Thanks for the heads up.

I like the Push Th' Lil Daisies one.

"These guys have no future"

Cacophonous Brown
Sep 26, 2008

Ma Meeshka Mow Skwoz
e: Problem solved, nothing to see here, move along.

Cacophonous Brown fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 21, 2011

My Boss Is A Shark
Jun 2, 2011

Okay. I'm hired.

Harminoff posted:

Kim Smoltz

One of my favorite Ween tracks right there. It's incredible how many quality tracks Ween has that don't make it to an album. Just the "new" stuff from these demos is like a whole album itself.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Thank you OP! This is awesome! :D

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Hell yes. Ween are so good to their fans. It's always cool to hear their songs that didn't make it onto the albums, and they're still really good.

I hope they release a new album soon. It's been too long since La Cucaracha.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

safety dan posted:

gently caress yes, this has made my day.

Hell, I haven't finished downloading it yet, and it has made my day already.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Favorite songs so far:

Oh My Little Country Cottage

"I eat my little sandwich and it tastes...like...crap"
"I'll learn to play the flute and kill myself"

Set to a light, peppy acoustic tune. A Ween classic.

You Can Go poo poo In Your Hat (Matt)

This song cracks me the gently caress up. I get a Pure Guava vibe from it, that one's always been a favorite of mine.
"You can go poo poo in your hat, Matt
You lie so much you believe it
Why don't you do some more blow, you homo
and stay up 'til 5 talkin' poo poo"

She Caught My Fancy

An easy one to miss, it's one of their cool, smooth, straight-ahead ballads.

(all the mp3s are tagged with the genre "Boognish"...oh my Ween boys :allears:)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
wow, this really could have been a very brown album had they been so inclined.

totally lost it at the "rough" vocals for "It's Gonna be a Long Night" - is that supposed to be a Lemmy impression???

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Yeah he had a cold while trying to sing it and it came out like that.

There was a recent interview with Gene saying he wanted to do the next Ween album as “Where I want to go next is the Disney-soundtrack-era Phil Collins". That made me super pumped, but it also sounded like Gene wasn't getting along with Dean again :( interview here.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Meh it's probably drug issues again. I mean Gener was completely gone during this performance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxw7yE6i9Dw&feature=related

The fishing thing is funny though, he is referring to this. http://mickeysfishing.com/

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Doesn't exactly sound in sync with the rest of the band in that clip does he! Strange because from a recent video interview and some other recently live clips from this year he was looking and sounding really good, better than he has in the past couple of years. He really bloated up with a lot of weight in 09/10, but was looking a bit slimmer and healthier this year.
Hopefully he hasn't taken another backwards step.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Here's from Lollapalooza this year. He's gotten thin again but I hope thats on account of him wanting to lose it and not drugs.

Poor Gener :(. Why couldn't you age to be a middle aged fisherman like Deaner :(.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Bumping to say that Gener announced his solo record today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sdXMs6FmHs&feature=youtu.be

There's a little teaser. Comes out April 12. I'm pretty disappointed it's not a Ween album, but i'll take what I can get!

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Methodis posted:

Here's from Lollapalooza this year. He's gotten thin again but I hope thats on account of him wanting to lose it and not drugs.

Poor Gener :(. Why couldn't you age to be a middle aged fisherman like Deaner :(.

Gene's addiction was benzos and alcohol right? That tends to make you gain weight, not lose it. As for the video of them playing Spinal Meningitis, what did you expect? It's a weird song and he sings it in a very bizarre, off-putting voice. That's what Ween has always been about.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Slackerish posted:

Gene's addiction was benzos and alcohol right? That tends to make you gain weight, not lose it. As for the video of them playing Spinal Meningitis, what did you expect? It's a weird song and he sings it in a very bizarre, off-putting voice. That's what Ween has always been about.

Did you even watch the video or any others from that night? He messes up lyrics on a bunch of songs, can't play on time on some others, spends an entire song tuning his guitar, and lays down for another. There is no denying that he was beyond gone. Thankfully he is looking healthy again, and the 3 day show sounded amazing.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
The Spinal Meningitis video is from the Vancouver concert where Deaner ended up unplugging Gene from the amp because he was messing up, not paying attention etc, and it culminated with everyone leaving the stage except for Gene.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
that whole story made me very uneasy, but it looks like they've gotten it back together

it kinda feels like the next Ween album is still probably 2-3 years away, but I hope we get another Shinola-type release in the meantime. outside of Quebec and the Mollusk, Shinola is my favorite studio release

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Harminoff posted:

Did you even watch the video or any others from that night? He messes up lyrics on a bunch of songs, can't play on time on some others, spends an entire song tuning his guitar, and lays down for another. There is no denying that he was beyond gone. Thankfully he is looking healthy again, and the 3 day show sounded amazing.

Just watched some of the other videos and yeah, fair enough. Not sure if this is a legal question but do you have access to any of the 3-night run bootlegs? Mods: please delete this if it's too :files:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Slackerish posted:

Just watched some of the other videos and yeah, fair enough. Not sure if this is a legal question but do you have access to any of the 3-night run bootlegs? Mods: please delete this if it's too :files:

you can stream them from http://www.archive.org/details/Ween (which is great service to find live music from a lot of bands) and they also have it up on http://www.browntracker.net/

It's not files as ween allows the recording and trading of their live shows.

quote:

Ween freely allows the taping and trading of audience tapes. So, as long as the downloads are made available free of charge, please go right ahead.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

really psyched for Gener's album, sure it's not a new Ween album, but since the last new album came out in mid 2007 I'll take what I can get. I really hope it contains a studio version of "Lets get divorced", that one really cracks me up. But I'm sure it'll be good no matter what.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well let me just tell you that both "Jean" (the song in the video) and Marvelous Clouds are both Rod McKuen songs. So it might be a cover album, but who knows.

edit: Actually found a track listing

quote:

1. As I Love My Own
2. Jean
3. Marvelous Clouds
4. A Man Alone
5. The Beautiful Strangers
6. Doesn't Anybody Know My Name
7. One By One
8. Pushing The Clouds
9. The Lovers
10. Mr. Kelly
11. Love's Been Good To Me
12. Lonesome Cities
13. The World I Used To Know

Aaron Freeman, better known as Gene Ween of Ween, has set a April 10th release date for his solo debut, 'Marvelous Clouds'.
The album features 13 heartfelt interpretations of songs written by 20th century poet/songwriter, Rod McKuen.

'Marvelous Clouds' reunites Freeman with Ben Vaughn, who produced Ween's classic '12 Golden Country Greats.'

Having sold over a million albums with Ween worldwide, Freeman's use of McKuen's work to articulate one of his most personal efforts to-date marks a new milestone in a career well known for its use of a wide range of vocal styles and song characters.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 13, 2012

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

kinda sucks that Ween has "only" sold a million albums combined

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
They really deserve to be more famous. But hey, maybe in this day it's better to have a smaller group of dedicated fans than a widespread fanbase that only cares about a few of your songs.

I'm stoked for Gene's new album! I can't believe they haven't put out anything new since 2007...

Also, I saw them last April and Gene was doing pretty alright. I think he's gotten his act together since the Vancouver show.

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N.
Dec 31, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Chocolate Town is a wonderful song. It would sound like a normal pop tune if it weren't for the diminished chords that pretty much make it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1uT6itlGQY

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yeah that's definitely one of my favorite tunes by them. that and "Stay Forever" are two of my favorite country-rock songs (by any band)

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Their whole country album is amazing IMHO. You Where The Fool would be a massive country hit I think if it didn't have homosexuality in the lyrics.

It's crazy to think that they wrote that album when they where like 16-17 though. Boys are so impressive.

Methodis fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 20, 2012

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Methodis posted:

It's crazy to think that they wrote that album when they where like 16-17 though. Boys are so impressive.

What

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I read that the majority of 12 GCG was written before Chocolate & Cheese, which was partly written when they where 16, so some of the songs where written around that time age, which I think is pretty impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

To be fair, a lot of the lyrics sure sound like they were written by 16 year olds.