Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I think Ween needs to follow up Country Greats with a reggae album. Mango Woman and King Billy are such amazing tracks. I'd buy the poo poo out of 12 Golden Reggae Greats.

As for the solo stuff, it's definitely not for me. I saw the Gene Ween Band live a couple years ago and thought it was overall pretty boring. To be fair, I was drunk out of my mind and was expecting a crazy Ween style night. I like the easy-going gentle side of Ween as much as I like the more bizarre, trippy side, but taken out of the context of the band it just doesn't work for me.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

me your dad posted:

I think Ween needs to follow up Country Greats with a reggae album. Mango Woman and King Billy are such amazing tracks. I'd buy the poo poo out of 12 Golden Reggae Greats.

Yeah, I just want to second this. "King Billy" is one of my all time favorite Ween songs. They just nail it.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I don't care what they do, I just want a new Ween album, period.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

weirdojace posted:

I don't care what they do, I just want a new Ween album, period.

Totally agree, I loved 'Quebec' and 'Shinola, Vol. 1', but really couldn't get in 'La Cucaracha' and have barely listened to it or 'The Friends EP'.

A 'Shinola, Vol. 2' would be great, especially if we finally got studio versions of 'The Final Alarm', 'Leave Deaner Alone' or 'Cover It With Gas and Set It On Fire'

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

shmee posted:

Totally agree, I loved 'Quebec' and 'Shinola, Vol. 1', but really couldn't get in 'La Cucaracha' and have barely listened to it or 'The Friends EP'.

Funny thing is that I loved The Friends EP but thought that La Cucaracha was honestly pretty horrible. In fact, that's the only Ween album I have that opinion about. It honestly just felt like they were running out of inspiration, since while a lot of the tracks on it sound OK they're just missing that something extra to push them past being just decent genre exercises. The only track that I really super enjoyed from it was "Woman and Man" and even there it takes a bit too long to build up and they've done similar tracks better anyway.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I really like "My Own Bare Hands" a lot, no matter how basic musical wise it is and think that's the stand out from La Cucaracha. "Blue Balloon" I enjoy too and "Woman and Man" but yeah I agree it's pretty lackluster and just seemed a weird release.

Quebec on the other hand went from one of my least favorite Ween albums to the favorite in recent times. I guess at the time I was expecting something else but it really grew on me. Ditto to White Pepper, but not to a extent that Quebec is. There's only 1 song I dislike on the entirety of Quebec and it's only because I don't think it fits in as the opener of the album.

Here's to hoping they do a new album though. I would really like to see that rumored "album full of Disney music type songs" that Gene hinted around.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

TheNintenGenius posted:

Funny thing is that I loved The Friends EP but thought that La Cucaracha was honestly pretty horrible. In fact, that's the only Ween album I have that opinion about. It honestly just felt like they were running out of inspiration, since while a lot of the tracks on it sound OK they're just missing that something extra to push them past being just decent genre exercises. The only track that I really super enjoyed from it was "Woman and Man" and even there it takes a bit too long to build up and they've done similar tracks better anyway.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of La Cucaracha either, although I can't call it outright horrible, there's quite a few songs on there that I like. "Woman and Man" is pretty great, "My Own Bare Hands" rocks and "Sweetheart in the Summer," "Object," and "Shamemaker" are fun, too.

It does use the hugely inferior version of "Friends," though, I have no idea why they didn't use the EP cut- a lot of the album, that rendition included, has this strange production style that doesn't really resonate with me, and so it does feel kind of half-realized. It's just a collection of some decent Ween songs to me, as opposed to a packed, strong album.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

Methodis posted:

There's only 1 song I dislike on the entirety of Quebec and it's only because I don't think it fits in as the opener of the album.

I used to think that too, but then I thought about why it's there. "It's Gonna Be a Long Night" works perfectly as an opener for Quebec because that album is basically Gene spilling his guts about his substance abuse, drug addictions, and divorce. And the opening song is a hard rocker about sex and drugs. I see the rest of the songs as kind of an aftereffect of that song.

I love the Friends EP but La Cucaracha is kind of a let down. I like some of it though. It starts strong and ends strong. "Woman and Man" and "Your Party" are fantastic.

chairdoctor
May 31, 2001

The doctor is in.

Bobby The Rookie posted:

It does use the hugely inferior version of "Friends," though, I have no idea why they didn't use the EP cut-

The EP version is actually a remix. Gener wanted someone to do a wild techno mix of it and they got the dude that made that Crazy Frog garbage to do it.

quote:

The song was produced by Reinhard "DJ Voodoo" Raith, one of the principal figures behind the Crazy Frop ringtone phenomenon of the past few years. "We were doing the demos for it and Aaron ["Gene Ween" Freeman] thought it would be good to get a European dance guy to re-do that song," guitarist Mickey "Dean Ween" Melchiondo tells Billboard.com. "We don't even play any instruments on the EP version."

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

I actually like La Cucaracha quite a bit. It's not my favorite Ween album, no, but it's an album that I still listen to pretty often. "Learning to Love" is one of my favorite Ween songs, period. Hell, I even like the La Cucaracha version of Friends more than the EP version (love those crazy bongos or whatever the hell is going on in the background).

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I've been relistening to The Mollusk/White Pepper/Quebec a lot lately and think that's an excellent run of albums, especially when you add Shinola to it; I can't really explain why I didn't dig La C so much either, but I think it's because it doesn't really mix the humor with great songwriting the way they used to, rather it's just a lot of things that are either funny or supposed to be funny and only a few songs that would be worth listening to on their own? There wasn't anything pitch-perfect like "Back to Basom", "Transdermal Celebration", "The Rift", "The Argus", "Tried and True", etc. etc., just a bunch of joke tunes that don't work in close proximity to each other. What's disappointing is that White Pepper was kind of their "middle age" album even though they were only 30 at its time of release, so I thought that they'd remain great for decades to come if they just stuck to that sound.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
The Mollusk -> White Pepper -> Quebec -> Shinola Vol. 1 is pretty much a perfect run of albums, and are definitely the ones I listen to the most.

There was a recent interview with Gene where he said he's trying to convince Dean to put together a Shinola Volume 2. If that's as close as we're getting to a new Ween album right now, I'll take it.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
As much as I have to agree that The Mollusk to quebec/Shinola is probably the band's strongest run of albums, I honestly think that my favorite Ween albums (as in the ones I personally listen to the most) are their first two for whatever reason. Especially The Pod. That is just their loving trippiest, strangest album and I love every minute of it.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
My favorite Ween unreleased songs:
Now I'm Freaking Out - Lyrics are really, really outdated but still love it's sound.
Puerto Rican Power - pretty uch the same thing

So I wouldn't be opposed to a Shinola Vol. 2. They need to do something though, it's been so long.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

TheNintenGenius posted:

As much as I have to agree that The Mollusk to quebec/Shinola is probably the band's strongest run of albums, I honestly think that my favorite Ween albums (as in the ones I personally listen to the most) are their first two for whatever reason. Especially The Pod. That is just their loving trippiest, strangest album and I love every minute of it.

Agreed. The Pod and God Ween Satan are my favorite albums, and I've listened to them more than any other album in their catalog.

The Pod is just full of great tracks - Sorry Charlie is one of my favorites. It's also got Dr. Rock, which was awesome, but now pales in comparison to the live versions. Demon Sweat, Mononucleosis, Frank... all standout tracks. The Pod is so raw and gnarly.

And God Ween Satan is just madness. Mushroom Festival and Marble Tulip Juicy Tree are two of my all time favorite songs by the group. I've been a bit bummed by live versions of Marble Tulip Juicy Tree though. They've never recaptured the epic feel that song has on the studio album. I think it's the spoken word bit - Gener tends to do it live, and he never does it as well as the original dude (whose name I have forgotten). It's a shame, because that song would be amazing stretched out with embellishments.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Methodis posted:

My favorite Ween unreleased songs:
Now I'm Freaking Out - Lyrics are really, really outdated but still love it's sound.
Puerto Rican Power - pretty uch the same thing

So I wouldn't be opposed to a Shinola Vol. 2. They need to do something though, it's been so long.

Whoever that "destr100" fellow is on YouTube has a remarkable number of b-sides and unreleased stuff. A related video to Puerto Rican Power lead me to "Who Dat?" which rocks in a sweet polka way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhsfBn3uTWE

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Whoever that "destr100" fellow is on YouTube has a remarkable number of b-sides and unreleased stuff. A related video to Puerto Rican Power lead me to "Who Dat?" which rocks in a sweet polka way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhsfBn3uTWE

The thing with Who Dat is the lyrics tell a pretty sad story, but you would never know that without paying attention.

My favorite unreleased tracks are

Kim Smoltz - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K65dRRa3GoM (honestly, how did this not make the cut)

Pass the Bong - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z67_Y1__Nzo&feature=related

Ooh Va La - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQohfLZD_6s&feature=related

I also really like the album they did with the boredoms. The Meadow is one of my all time favorites http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJyd9Dx6o94 as well as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy5YrOUPNwo&feature=related

Also Gene can do a better Ozzy then Ozzy can. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk3w9mbsJ9Y&feature=plcp&context=C3b98d58UDOEgsToPDskLsbJn-1H9X6dG4qIuiE92e

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 28, 2012

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh

ThaGhettoJew posted:

He's just reposting stuff from Brown Tracker. It's not files because they have it on the front page of the bands website, but there's a torrent in there that collects all of Weens B-Sides. Here's the torrent.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

I'd definitely make a case for "Exactly Where I'm At" as the best Ween song.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Nope, it's definitely 'Transitions.'

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
As for the unreleased stuff there are some real gems. "Be My Wife" is very sweet. That and "The Belvidene" are some of my favs, it's the laughing on that track that kills me.

I must say I'm a little disappointed that Geners album will be covers. Well not really covers, interpretations of poems I guess. I'd prefer hearing him singing his own words. I'm sure I'll love it, just wish it was all from Gene's weird mind rather than just his stamp on it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

global tetrahedron posted:

It's a good song, but that stupid "flapity flap" part puts a dent in it for me.

Like others have said, there are some really great unreleased tracks. Ooh Va La is probably my favorite among them. If there's a "brown sound", that song exemplifies it. Well that, and the version of Mountain Dew off Paintin the Town Brown.

I've also been listening to a lot of live recordings of songs. My recent favorite is a version of "If You Could Save Yourself", from a 2003 show at the Orpheum in Vancouver. Gener kills it with a wailing, emotional delivery. The studio version sounds really cold in comparison.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 27, 2012

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Harminoff posted:

I also really like the album they did with the boredoms. The Meadow is one of my all time favorites http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJyd9Dx6o94 as well as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy5YrOUPNwo&feature=related

I just want to thank you for this. Somehow I had no idea that this existed and those You Tube links were awesome. I can't believe I never heard of this before...

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Mt. Modular posted:

I just want to thank you for this. Somehow I had no idea that this existed and those You Tube links were awesome. I can't believe I never heard of this before...

Same, these rule. Album is sweet too.

e; Also Get A Little Taste sounds alot like this 80's comedy song which makes it even more hilarious.

Methodis fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 27, 2012

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Kim Smoltz - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K65dRRa3GoM (honestly, how did this not make the cut)

Didn't this end up becoming Pink Eye (on my leg)? But you're right, I love this one, and I love Pink Eye, surely there's a universe where they can both exist!

unsanitary
Dec 14, 2007

don't sweat the technique
Someone please tell me I'm not the only one whose favorite Ween album is The Pod.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.

unsanitary posted:

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one whose favorite Ween album is The Pod.

Nope it's my favorite too. Quebec gives it a run for its money but The Pod is unbeatable.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

unsanitary posted:

I prettymuch said that several posts up.

The funny thing is that my favorite song on that album has changed several times over the years. At this point I think it's "Demon Sweat." It's such a sparse, super chill song, and honestly pretty unlike most anything else in their discography. Plus it features one of Dean's best guitar solos.

unsanitary
Dec 14, 2007

don't sweat the technique

TheNintenGenius posted:

I prettymuch said that several posts up.

The funny thing is that my favorite song on that album has changed several times over the years. At this point I think it's "Demon Sweat." It's such a sparse, super chill song, and honestly pretty unlike most anything else in their discography. Plus it features one of Dean's best guitar solos.

What I love about The Pod is that I started out disliking pretty much every song on the album. But the whole thing, song by song, has grown on me. I dunno if it's that or I'm just getting browner. Pollo Asado makes me giggle like an idiot. Every. Single. Time.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

global tetrahedron posted:

My vote goes to Transdermal Celebration. It's the song I like to show people if they've never heard of Ween before.

I also started out hating The Pod and now it's one of my favorites. Something about it is just so captivating.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Oh My Dear is one of my favorite songs ever. It's just so pretty.

Sketches of Wrinkle rules also.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I'm definitely in the "wish this was trimmed by 20 minutes" category. I will agree that it's an utterly unique album, but the Mollusk-quebec period just seems to accomplish its goal so much better

Tommy Calamari
Feb 25, 2006

You see, there are three things that spur the mollusk from the sand
Digging Pot Luck and Hello Johnny from the unreleased stuff.

The Mollusk, quebec, Pure Guava and The Pod are my favourites (probably in that order). There seems to be more cohesion to those albums, like if you took one of the songs out and put it in another album it would become out of place. The Mollusk has been my favourite album since the very first time I heard it, which is pretty impressive.

Mutilated Lips is the best song, by the way. Repeating the chorus with the vocals shifted up sounds like such a dumb idea, but man does it work on that song.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Mutilated Lips was the first Ween song I ever heard, and I immediately bought The Mollusk without even hearing the rest of it. Then I was hooked on Ween for life.

It still holds up as my favorite album by anybody.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

These demos really are great. I love the rough version of "Transdermal Celebration."

Ween is probably my current favorite band. I don't like all their music, but their range is incredible.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I started out not liking all their music, but this band has a tendency to grow on you like a parasite. I think my respect for them shot up even more after I saw them live.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

weirdojace posted:

I started out not liking all their music, but this band has a tendency to grow on you like a parasite. I think my respect for them shot up even more after I saw them live.

They are total value for money seeing them live. They haven't been to Australia much but when I saw them in 2008 on back to back nights they played for 3hrs each night and only 1 song appeared on both nights (Fiesta).

Thing Fish
Dec 8, 2006
any downers?
Yeah, best touring live band today, by far. Gener is such an amazing frontman.

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N.
Dec 31, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Got a little more used to Quebec. "The Argus" is my pick of the moment from it. Not only the melodies and the structure is great, but the Weens' primitive society-themed lyrics, along with "Among His Tribe"'s, rule.

"Transdermal Celebration"'s too. "But the mutants that I see shine their beauty onto me, I wish you could see them"! I wish the clip for it was more grotesque.

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N. fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N. posted:

Got a little more used to Quebec. "The Argus" is my pick of the moment from it. Not only the melodies and the structure is great, but the Weens' primitive society-themed lyrics, along with "Among His Tribe"'s, rule.

"Transdermal Celebration"'s too. "But the mutants that I see shine their beauty onto me, I wish you could see them"! I wish the clip for it was more grotesque.

I just can't get enough of "So Many People in the Neighbourhood", but then I think my favourite songs from 'Shinola' are "Big Fat gently caress" and "Tastes Good on the Bun". Anything that sounds like their early songs in terms of weirdness, but with their recent production is the best.

Edit: How could I forget 'Captain' and 'I Don't Want It'. I can't get over how different the songs on 'Quebec' are, but they all work together nonetheless.

shmee fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 21, 2012