Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I was actually thinking that this might happen, but didn't think it would so fast.

quote:

You heard it here first----MOISTBOYZ RETURN TO NEW HOPE, PA AND THE TRI-STATE AREA. Tickets will sell out pretty quickly but all I can tell you is to clear your calendars from 7/22 to 7/29. don't call it a comeback, Moistboyz never retire.

-Mickey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Tri-State I guess would be Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Jersey? I bet a Moistboyz show would be fun. The rowdiness of a Ween show was definitely lacking from the Gene Ween solo tour, and I bet Moistboyz would capture some of that energy.

Too bad I'll be working a crazy schedule next week, or I'd try to go. And I'm not even that crazy about the band but I'd like to show support.

Edit - what was the source on that announcement?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
He posted it on his facebook. http://www.facebook.com/mickey.melchiondo

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mickey rules, glad he's always been super down to earth and everything.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Ouch. Right on the heels of Aaron's massive clusterfuck comes a likely successful tour by Mickey. Spite?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I got an email yesterday from Aaron Freeman with about 20 upcoming tour dates promoting the Marvelous Clouds material. I thought it was cancelled. I don't see crowds of people rushing out to see him after this nonsense.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
The whole thing wasn't canceled, just a few dates that didn't sell well. I also think that ticket sales might pick up now that he changed it to "songs from ween and Marvelous Clouds" as I think most people thought that it would only be Marvelous clouds material.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
If any of you have a chance to go to these Moistboyz show, I highly recommend it. I have been to a lot of rock shows in my time... and nothing, absolutely nothing compares to Moistboyz. Loud, crass, balls to the loving wall rock. It is the polar opposite of whatever the hell Aaron / Gener is doing.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Plus the first show is free.

quote:

So here it is folks:
MOISTBOYZ RETURN! THIS SUNDAY-10PM JOHN AND PETER'S BAR NEW HOPE, PA---FREE ADMISSION! DOORS WILL NOT OPEN UNTIL 8:30 PM. GETTING THERE EARLY DOES YOU NO GOOD. STAY AWAY, AND IF YOU DO GET IN HOLD ON TO YOUR rear end!
MONDAY NIGHT-MOISTBOYZ AT THE GARDENVILLE HOTEL ON ROUTE 413 AND PT. PLEASANT PIKE. $12 ADMISSION AT DOOR--PLENTY OF PARKING---CAPACITY 200 PEOPLE! A RARE CHANCE TO SEE THE MOST VICIOUS BAND ON EARTH IN A COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE SETTING! DOORS AT 7PM, WINESKIN (OPENING BAND) AT 8PM, MOISTBOYZ AT 9 PM!

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Callick posted:

Ouch. Right on the heels of Aaron's massive clusterfuck comes a likely successful tour by Mickey. Spite?

Aaron leaving the band abrubtly does not mean that Mickey should stop doing music. He's a true musician and wants to keep doing his poo poo. More power to him, he was what tied Ween together in the first place..

rope
May 4, 2006
8======D~~~O:
Good interview with Dean Ween, got this from Josh Freese's FB page.

Managed to see them in 2008 around the time he broke his foot. Great gig in a small venue in Paris.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
For as spaced out as Gene is or seems to be all the time, Dean has to be one of the most grounded, down-to-earth musicians out there.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
This is the part of the interview that sticks out the most:

quote:

And the next thing I know I read in Rolling Stone that he said that he was breaking up the band. And I was heartbroken. I still am. It’s only been a month. And I also knew, you shouldn’t make a decision like that, the day you get out of rehab or the week you get out, and I think he regrets it. I don’t think that you’ve seen the last of Ween. I wouldn’t be surprised if we played before the year is over to be honest with you.

Oh really?

Really.

There you have it. Deaner isn't wholeheartedly convinced that Ween is over. I'm not going to get my hopes up or anything, but the dude seems pretty aware of what's going on.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

weirdojace posted:

There you have it. Deaner isn't wholeheartedly convinced that Ween is over. I'm not going to get my hopes up or anything, but the dude seems pretty aware of what's going on.

Yeah definitely. After Claude's tweet I'd pretty much given up on it but

quote:

I’ve spoken with him, and you haven’t seen the last of us. Like I said, I wouldn’t even be surprised. It might not look the same as it did before. We might just go out and it might be the two of us like Simon & Garfunkel sitting there. Whatever it takes to reconnect and make it fun again for us. The most important thing to me is that he’s healthy and that he’s happy doing it, and like I said, if after 28 years of doing it, I could see why the idea of quitting it would be kind of romantic for a minute.

encouraged me. The idea of going back to being a duo is pretty interesting too.

Callick posted:

The article answers that too. Mickey still loves Aaron :allears:

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Great interview, good to know that the gossip has made things seem far more toxic than it actually is. In honor of this interview, I submit what is clearly the best Ween song, and one that is relevant to the situation. (titlewise anyway)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZghM6fTW9U

I hope they do another Shinola, however that's been posted about and seems unlikely...

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
From I've read, it looks like Aaron wants another Shinola to come out, but Mickey doesn't because he just hated the work that went into making the first one.

Let's put together fake wishful Shinola 2 tracklists.

1. Beacon Light
2. All That's Gold will Turn to Black
3. Now I'm Freaking Out
4. Hello Johnny
5. Eye 2 the Sky
6. Little Miss Mandee
7. Cornbread Red
8. Ambrosia Parsley
9. Vinnie the Eel
10. Ooh Va Lah
11. Love Come Down (9-11-01)
12. I'll Wait

weirdojace fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 1, 2012

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
Pretty good list. Some of those are "b" sides from Elektra era singles, not sure if they can re-release those.

Here's a few I would add:

that man from the flatland
love will conquer all
the other argus song
take me back to north pappy flappy
albino sunburned girl

Aaron's tour is actually turning around, he has at least stopped playing 12 Rod McKeun songs and then 3 Ween songs, now it's mostly Ween. However, from what I hear not many people are showing up.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

HerzogZwo posted:

Aaron's tour is actually turning around, he has at least stopped playing 12 Rod McKeun songs and then 3 Ween songs, now it's mostly Ween. However, from what I hear not many people are showing up.

I would have gone but the tickets are really expensive. In Mpls they were 25/ticket. I think I paid less than that other times I'd seen Ween. I'm sure it'd be a decent show but seriously.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
I guess so few people showed up for the show at the Beachcomber that they weren't even checking for tickets.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

HerzogZwo posted:

Here's a few I would add:

the other argus song

What's this? I can't find anything on Youtube.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Argus 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCaOJtOF_HE

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - I know it now. It was on a fan-made compilation called The Brown Sides.

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003
We own everything so you don't have to.

HerzogZwo posted:

I wasn't going to but I ended up getting a ticket for the Austin show. I feel pretty jaded as a fan by the way he's handled things over the past few months but at the same time he's written a ton of my favorite songs and I feel the need to support.

Whether Ween ever plays together again or not it's going to be awesome when all this bullshit passes.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
Mickey put up a website where people can ask him questions so they don't waste time with stupid poo poo on his fishing tours.

I give it half a week.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

Mickey put up a website where people can ask him questions so they don't waste time with stupid poo poo on his fishing tours.

I give it half a week.

He's keeping up with the site well. It's great :)

I just found a reggae version of Nicole of the God Ween Satan sessions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYAmyECGWBM

That makes four kick rear end reggae songs Ween has done (that I know of).

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I'm really enjoying it right now; when you ask "what's your favorite song to play live", most artists would say "well, it depends...", or "it changes every day", or give a long list, Deaner just straight up says "Pony"

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
That's really cool of Deaner to do. I hope he keeps it up for a while!

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
Yeah, I never could figure out they lyrics to "Cover it with gas and set it on fire".

You guys find Aaron's soundcloud yet?

HerzogZwo fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 30, 2012

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.

HerzogZwo posted:

Yeah, I never could figure out they lyrics to "Cover it with gas and set it on fire".

Holy crap I asked that question. That wasn't how I asked it so I guess a ton of people asked it, but it's still cool to finally find out, and I don't feel bad for not figuring out "pamminy wassle", even though that's pretty much exactly how it sounds.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just caught this on ask deaner

quote:

aron has his solo career, [bold]I’m very far along on my own record[/bold] while working on the new Moistboyz album at the same time, Claude has a new Amandla record coming, etc.

Oh man a Deaner record. I can't wait for this. Ask Deaner is awesome and his responses are great. Like this one when asked about the best fight he has seen at a show.

quote:

A- I’ll answer this one under the condition that the real facts are omitted, also keep in mind the very important fact that I wasn’t actually there, so technically it never happened, I’m just making this up. Say Ween was on tour and the Queens of the Stone Age were opening up for us. After we finished our set I came out of the dressing room and saw Nick Oliveri standing on the basement stairs outside our dressing room with a rock hard boner, naked to his knees. His dick is as big as a horse cock by the way. On the ground next to naked Nick is a girl crumpled in a ball, next to her (also on the floor) is a guy bleeding from his head. Imagine…. Nick met a girl at the show who sucked his dick, her boyfriend barged backstage and punched her in the face when he caught her in the act of suckage. Nick then punched the boyfriend out. This is when I would’ve walked up.Two bloody people on the ground and Nick with a big boner bare rear end naked pointing and screaming. I wish this were true, but again, I just made the whole thing up.

Again, this never happened and I wasn’t there.

Long live Deaner!

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Some recent updates:

Depressingly the Ween split looks pretty final now from http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/10/dean-gene-ween-duke-it-out-online/

There's a fair bit in there but I'm still a bit fuzzy on what the fallout is. As far as I could work out, Aaron has been reading askdeaner.com and got upset about the post Deaner did about what alcohol he enjoys (or more that he drinks a lot).

Aaron posted:

The only thing I took offense too was Mickeys public remark about his excessive alcohol consumption, in my eyes it was disrespectful.

So this?

askdeaner.com posted:

Question::
Whats your favorite type of liquor? Not beer, liquor type and brand.
Top five.
Thanks
Mike B.

A- I drink Jameson, a lot of it. I also drink Crown Royal, a lot of it. Ketel One, tons of it, Patron, and Laphoroaig, whioch I absolutely love but it’s kind of on the expensive side for the amount of drinking we do.

Anyway ignore all that, remember the kick-rear end albums and look forward tooooo..

Deaner posted:

I commenced writing new songs for a record about a year ago but got very serious around July of this year. since then I have been pretty much completely off the grid except for this website. I postponed all of my fishing charters until a later date and since mid-August I’ve been in the studio non-stop, 7 days a week working from 7pm until 7am. I wake up around 3 or 4 in the afternoon and I’m sorry to my friends who haven’t gotten any callbacks or email responses. I am on a mission to try and make a truly classic album and haven’t been so focused and driven in many years. The music will speak for itself when it’s released next year, to my ears and those people whose opinions matter it is pretty drat smokin’. My band is a combination of the best musicians I’ve encountered over the years. Guy Heller, Claude Coleman, Chuck Treece, Dave Dreiwitz, Glenn McClelland, Joe Kramer, Andrew Weiss, Joe Russo, Scott Metzger, Josh Homme, Nick Oliveri, the list goes on and on and I’m sorry if I’ve forgotten anyone. We are in the thick of it right now and if we were forced to stop we’d have about 2 full albums of keeper quality songs already. We are keeping at it until November and then we’re going to Los Angeles to record the album with Josh Homme as the producer in mid-January, you heard it here first, although I’ve known this for months. Sonically it’s pretty drat impressive, my engineering chops have improved significantly over the years (25 years of recording tends to help) and if you can’t already tell, I’m very excited. It’s hard to even call what we’re doing “demos” because they sound incredible. Here’s a photo album of a recent session. I tried to make this album public, please let me know if it works!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4577060465940.187204.1274714937&type=1&l=0aa57dbb23

Really excited this. And hey, if you look at that Facebook album, you'll see that you can also get Deaner to record your album (if he likes your music) and live in his studio while you do it.

Deaner really seems to have his poo poo together right now.

Incidentally if you want to add askdeaner.com to your Google Reader or whatever RSS reader you use, you can add http://036271e.netsolhost.com/WordPress/feed/ and that'll do it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Wait ... unless I'm misunderstanding this ... a fan asked Mickey what his favorite alcoholic drinks were, Mickey answers ... and Aaron is upset by that? Why?

A SHAMEFUL CAT
Jan 20, 2009

~*confused dog noize*~
I realize that they are/were close dudes who had their own ways of communicating with each other but the paranoia evident in Aaron's remark as well as, well, every bit of his behavior the last few months hardly suggests "clean from drugs" to me. Hope I'm wrong.

A SHAMEFUL CAT fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 8, 2012

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

I realize that they are/were close dudes who had their own ways of communicating with each other but the paranoia evident in Aaron's remark as well as, well, every bit of his behavior the last few months hardly suggests "clean from drugs" to me. Hope I'm wrong.

Yeah it's disappointing how it the breakup of the band has all unfolded, but also really troubling that he seems to be lashing out, and what the reasons for that may or may not be.

Something I just found though, is that the Deaner solo stuff, has a name. MIGGY

MIGGY posted:

The new Moistboyz and Miggy material is some of the most vicious guitar music ever put down on tape. I can't wait to unleash it on the world and take it to the stage. I am blessed to be surrounded by so many talented people. Back at it again in an hour--we wrote and recorded two songs in one day yesterday and they're both awesome!

I failed to mention that the name of my record is MIGGY. Not Deaner, not "my solo album", just "MIGGY".

:rock:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Man, what a sad state of affairs.

Been a Ween fan since '92 when I randomly heard a couple of songs off God Ween Satan on the radio; more or less kept up with the albums after that. Got to see them live in... must have been 2003, when Quebec was fresh. Pretty surreal experience; it was a great show and a good crowd, but a sizeable fraction of the crowd were there, I think, due to free tickets given away by the venue to mark an anniversary or something, and didn't necessarily know anything about Ween. So about two-thirds of the crowd were rocking the gently caress out and singing along etc. while the last third were standing around going "WTF? I mean, really, WTF?" It was a good time.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

quote:

I tend to get really excited about things I love and go off in a million directions at once, it has worked for me over the years because it’s energy directed in the right places. First of all, it’s far from finished, even though we have over 50 tunes recorded. We allotted ourselves a few months to write and made a pact not to recycle any old ideas, it is brand new in every sense of the word. We are at about the halfway point right now, Guy is sticking around until Halloween. The music gets better every day and we don’t look back. I get to the studio every day and we listen to a playback of what we recorded last night, one time and then move on to the next song.The band name (for the new music) changes every 5 minutes, as does the potential touring lineup for the project. One second the record is actually 2 records, the next day it’s one long record, one day it’s a new Moistboyz record, the next minute it’s a Miggy album, right now the name of our band is GRACE, that will change by about 5pm tonight. We decided yesterday to not think about naming it until after the mastering session, like, when the whole thing is finished. It’s excellent rock and roll, very simply put. As far as the aggressiveness of the past Moistboyz albums it has moments that far exceed anything we’ve ever recorded and has moments that are far more dynamic than everything we’ve done in the past. I sing on about half the album and Guy does the rest. The main thing that sets it apart is that we are recording it with performing it live in mind. There is no drum machine anywhere on the record except for one tune. It is meant to for the stage and our concerts will be a guitarists wet dream.

Sounds like the ween process all right (record a bunch and condense instead of just working on a set amount of tracks) I was wondering if Deaner (are we calling him Miggy now?) was going to do the singing on his album, and it looks like he is. I can't wait for this.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Harminoff posted:

Sounds like the ween process all right (record a bunch and condense instead of just working on a set amount of tracks) I was wondering if Deaner (are we calling him Miggy now?) was going to do the singing on his album, and it looks like he is. I can't wait for this.

What songs did Deaner do vocals on other than Piss Up A Rope and The Blarney Stone? I know there were others but Gene's voice is so nuts that I believe anything.

And gently caress it, he's Deaner forever to me.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slackerish posted:

What songs did Deaner do vocals on other than Piss Up A Rope and The Blarney Stone? I know there were others but Gene's voice is so nuts that I believe anything.

And gently caress it, he's Deaner forever to me.

My Own Bare Hands, Get a Little Taste of You come to mind.

Also I hope this isn't just a new Moistboyz record in disguise. I don't like Moistboyz :(.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I found this list.

Piss Up A Rope 12 Golden Country Greats
Help Me Scrape The Mucus Off My Brain 12 Golden Country Greats
Cover It With Gas And Set It On Fire All Request Live
Awesome Sound All Request Live
Candi Chocolate And Cheese
Suckin' The Blood From the Devils Dick Craters of the Sac
I Got To Put The Hammer Down The Friends EP
I'm in the Mood to Move God Ween Satan-Anniversary Edition
Old Queen Cole God Ween Satan-Anniversary Edition
Hippy Smell God Ween Satan-Anniversary Edition
With My Own Bare Hands La Cucaracha
Sweetheart La Cucaracha
Pumpin' For the Man Live @ The Vanderbilt 8/27/1999
H.I.V. Song (live) Live In Chicago
The Blarney Stone The Mollusk
Mountain Dew Paintin' The Town Brown: Ween Live '90 - '98
Strap On That Jammy Pac The Pod
Sorry Charlie The Pod
Can U Taste The Waste? The Pod
Alone The Pod
She Fucks Me The Pod
Tender Situation Pure Guava
I Saw Gener Cryin' In His Sleep Pure Guava
It's Gonna Be A Long Night Quebec
There's A Pig (B-Side) Rarities
Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie Rise Above: 24 Black Flag Songs to Benefit the West Memphis Three
Stroker Ace White Pepper
I Get A Little Taste Of You Z-Rock Hawaii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I just hope his new group leans more toward Ween, and less toward Moistboyz. It'll be sweet seeing that lineup live.

Out of the Deaner songs above, the only ones I don't like are Cover It With Gas, Suckin Blood from the Devil's Dick, and Hippy Smell; and given that these are oddities in their catalog, I'm not too concerned of its appeal.

Sorry Charlie is one of my favorite songs.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 13, 2012