Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks for this. Ween has been my favorite band for about 18 years now. After Chocolate and Cheese came out I didn't listen to any new releases until a few years ago, when a friend turned me onto their more recent stuff. Quebec has since become one of my favorite albums by them. I'm at work now but I'll be downloading this as soon as I get home. There are several tracks I'm not familiar with.

I've seen them live twice - once in Atlanta at the Masquerade in 1994 (I think), and once in Baltimore at the Sonar a few years ago. The Baltimore show was loving epic and I was lucky to have made it back to DC alive and not in jail.

I considered making a Ween thread for a while so I'm glad to see this one :)

Have you read the 33 1/3 book about Chocolate and Cheese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I think Ween needs to follow up Country Greats with a reggae album. Mango Woman and King Billy are such amazing tracks. I'd buy the poo poo out of 12 Golden Reggae Greats.

As for the solo stuff, it's definitely not for me. I saw the Gene Ween Band live a couple years ago and thought it was overall pretty boring. To be fair, I was drunk out of my mind and was expecting a crazy Ween style night. I like the easy-going gentle side of Ween as much as I like the more bizarre, trippy side, but taken out of the context of the band it just doesn't work for me.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 20, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

TheNintenGenius posted:

As much as I have to agree that The Mollusk to quebec/Shinola is probably the band's strongest run of albums, I honestly think that my favorite Ween albums (as in the ones I personally listen to the most) are their first two for whatever reason. Especially The Pod. That is just their loving trippiest, strangest album and I love every minute of it.

Agreed. The Pod and God Ween Satan are my favorite albums, and I've listened to them more than any other album in their catalog.

The Pod is just full of great tracks - Sorry Charlie is one of my favorites. It's also got Dr. Rock, which was awesome, but now pales in comparison to the live versions. Demon Sweat, Mononucleosis, Frank... all standout tracks. The Pod is so raw and gnarly.

And God Ween Satan is just madness. Mushroom Festival and Marble Tulip Juicy Tree are two of my all time favorite songs by the group. I've been a bit bummed by live versions of Marble Tulip Juicy Tree though. They've never recaptured the epic feel that song has on the studio album. I think it's the spoken word bit - Gener tends to do it live, and he never does it as well as the original dude (whose name I have forgotten). It's a shame, because that song would be amazing stretched out with embellishments.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

global tetrahedron posted:

I'd definitely make a case for "Exactly Where I'm At" as the best Ween song.

It's a good song, but that stupid "flapity flap" part puts a dent in it for me.

Like others have said, there are some really great unreleased tracks. Ooh Va La is probably my favorite among them. If there's a "brown sound", that song exemplifies it. Well that, and the version of Mountain Dew off Paintin the Town Brown.

I've also been listening to a lot of live recordings of songs. My recent favorite is a version of "If You Could Save Yourself", from a 2003 show at the Orpheum in Vancouver. Gener kills it with a wailing, emotional delivery. The studio version sounds really cold in comparison.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 27, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

nevermind

me your dad fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 12, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I was hoping for a farewell tour, at least :(

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Well his new poo poo sucks. What does he expect to happen? That "ribbit" song or whatever the hell it is? It sounds like a terrible children's song.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

weirdojace posted:

I know. I'm just too overly hopeful that perhaps we'll get Sober Ween sometime in the future. Even if it means we'll get more La Cucarachas.

That's right. Also, I think Deaner was the one managing the Ween facebook page? I could be wrong. But there hasn't been an official update there since Aaron's announcement.

Aside from Friends and Spirit Walker, I think La Cucaracha is an excellent album. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me.

I want to say Pat Frey was managing the Facebook page.

Everyone except Aaron should regroup for a tour. He's apparently the only one wanting to break things up. Get a guest singer (Wayne Coyne?) for a tour or let Deaner handle all vocals.

Edit - now I've got Spirit Walker in my head :doh:

me your dad fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 10, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Leyburn posted:

Why would you want to hear anyone else sing Birthday Boy anyway?

I've never heard Birthday Boy live :(

That song was the first Ween song I ever heard. When I was in high school (early 90's) I frequently taped radio shows on the Georgia State University station. I sometimes wouldn't be around to hear it while it was playing, and would listen the recording the next day.

One night they played Birthday Boy and I was mesmerized by it when I listened to the tape. The radio station, being student-run and slack by nature, often didn't announce their playlists so I didn't know who the artist was.

It wasn't until about a year later, when I was introduced to Pure Guava via a friend, and later God Ween Satan, that I realized who the band was.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 11, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Tri-State I guess would be Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Jersey? I bet a Moistboyz show would be fun. The rowdiness of a Ween show was definitely lacking from the Gene Ween solo tour, and I bet Moistboyz would capture some of that energy.

Too bad I'll be working a crazy schedule next week, or I'd try to go. And I'm not even that crazy about the band but I'd like to show support.

Edit - what was the source on that announcement?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I got an email yesterday from Aaron Freeman with about 20 upcoming tour dates promoting the Marvelous Clouds material. I thought it was cancelled. I don't see crowds of people rushing out to see him after this nonsense.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

HerzogZwo posted:

Here's a few I would add:

the other argus song

What's this? I can't find anything on Youtube.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - I know it now. It was on a fan-made compilation called The Brown Sides.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

Mickey put up a website where people can ask him questions so they don't waste time with stupid poo poo on his fishing tours.

I give it half a week.

He's keeping up with the site well. It's great :)

I just found a reggae version of Nicole of the God Ween Satan sessions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYAmyECGWBM

That makes four kick rear end reggae songs Ween has done (that I know of).

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I just hope his new group leans more toward Ween, and less toward Moistboyz. It'll be sweet seeing that lineup live.

Out of the Deaner songs above, the only ones I don't like are Cover It With Gas, Suckin Blood from the Devil's Dick, and Hippy Smell; and given that these are oddities in their catalog, I'm not too concerned of its appeal.

Sorry Charlie is one of my favorite songs.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 13, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Video of song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHAL6EG5kBM

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

Is Old Queen Cole really Deaner on vocals? Huh.

I like that he's credited with singing The HIV Song.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 15, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Haha ballin'

What's lame is that not long ago, I was wondering what kind of cars these dudes drive. I pictured Deaner as more of a mid-90's Honda Civic kind of guy.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

TheNintenGenius posted:

Compared to Ween's other albums as a duo (which are still two of my absolute faves), I don't care for Pure Guava all that much. They kind of edged over into being a bit too druggy and weird-for-the-sake-of-weird, so listening to it all at once is kind of tiresome. It still has a bunch of great songs on it, though, and admittedly I haven't listened to it in years, so I guess today's as good a reason to break it out and refamiliarize myself with it as any.

Druggy? Weird? I'd say The Pod takes that cake.

Pure Guava has some of the bands best tracks and long-standing classics in my opinion - Little Birdy, Stallion Part 3, Poop Ship, Big Jilm, Springtheme, Pumpin for the Man, and Touch My Tooter. Even Mourning Glory is fun every once in a while.

It's got a few weak tracks - Flies On My Dick is one of my least favorite Ween songs. Hey Fat Boy (rear end in a top hat) is also pretty stupid. I used to like ReggaeJunkieJew but it's lost favor for some reason.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Deaner on his current life stage, from askdeaner.com when asked about burning out vs. fading away:

Deaner posted:

I’m more comfortable in front of an amplifier and a crowd of people than I am trying to make small talk on back to school night with a bunch of white devil honkies under florescent lights in an institutional building. You can have it both ways I hope and pray. I’m still working through the process, but I feel the most like myself when my dick is hanging out and I’m playing my guitar well, like a mass murderer. It’s a hosed up life being a musician, and I don’t even relate to most of the musicians I know. So gently caress me.

:allears:

loving Ween. I just turned a coworker onto the band - the first time I've got someone into them since the Pure Guava days. I gave him two CDs filled with all sorts of songs from God Ween Satan era, up to Cucaracha - most from various live sets but a few studio versions when done better.

P.S. The Argus is the best Ween song.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 29, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I think the tour with the poo poo Creek Boys represents some of the finest live shows the band has produced. Without the country album we wouldn't have that, so there.

There's a Country Tour Sampler with a version of Big Jilm that's loving amazing.

*dink* *dink dink* *dink dink dink dink dink* *GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym* BIG JILM

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

weirdojace posted:

how to get into Ween

Good post. This should go in the OP.

Add a note that this:

quote:

And everybody's favorite, Push th Little Daisies

Is sarcasm :)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I think La Cucaracha has a bunch of good tracks - just as much as other albums. Really the only terrible songs are Friends and Spirit Walker.

Sweetheart is the standout track on the album for me. It has a good breezy seventies feel about it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

King Billy is such a kick rear end song. I'd love to hear it slowed down a slight bit. It'd be absolutely perfect.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Dad rock.

Awesome version of Big Jilm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbs0tQkSL-4

me your dad fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 1, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

weirdojace posted:

That's an awesome version of Big Jilm, and a great recording of it too. Is that entire concert recorded like that?

Yeah - it's available in lossless format, too. Here's a great version Don't poo poo Where You Eat, from the same album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z9ht8tbMKQ

I said it before in this thread - the songs done live by the poo poo Creek Boys represents some of the best material the band has ever put out. By 1996 my interest in current Ween had faded a bit and I was only listening to older stuff. I kick myself though for missing out on one of these shows.

I also missed a chance to see Mr. Bungle live in 1996 with mushrooms on hand. Life's a bitch when you make stupid choices.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 1, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

BigFactory posted:

I think Shamemaker's a pretty good Smash Mouth parody. Don't know that makes it a good song, but they nail it.

For some reason it reminds me of a Jay Reatard track.

global tetrahedron posted:

I always skip the Fruit Man, that song is pretty terrible, and a retread of things they did a million times before and better, at that.

But they've only done a few other reggae songs and they're all awesome :confused:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

Did Jay Reatard do a lot of Blink 182 parodies?

I don't know why I have the association, honestly. I guess it's loosely something like this track that does it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT2GKw1UeA0

I'm not familiar enough with Blink 182 to make the association.

Anyway, RIP Jay Reatard.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 8, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

snorch posted:

e: Found it. It was I Saw Gener Cryin' in his Sleep

Makes sense now. I know just the part you're talking about but never would have thought of it otherwise. I always thought it was just plain ol' whistlin'.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 18, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

And now it's gone.

The song? It's there, but all comments previously posted are gone.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

I got Quebec on vinyl and had a hearty laugh at them listing the lyrics and personal for every song, but once you get to The hosed Jam it just says "Nope."

:worship: Ween

When Pure Guava first came out, they had a note to send a request and maybe a dollar for lyrics so I did. They sent back some photocopied sheets of handwritten lyrics. Some songs had "??????" in some spots where I guess they didn't even know what the gently caress they themselves were singing.

I wish I had kept that.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm currently listening to Live at Stubbs for the first time. What a kick rear end show that was!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

It came from Reddit

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

So Quebec is from that game, The Pod is adapted from Leonard Cohen's Greatest Hits album, and Chocolate & Cheese is inspired by a Commodores cover. I wonder where the others came from...

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Does anyone know what album he is talking about? I've been trying to figure it out but can't seem to find it.

I'd love to hear it, too. The discography is on discogs, but who knows which album it is.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Excavation posted:

I think it could be Aids-A-Delic but I could be completely wrong. It came out in 94, between The Pod and Z-Rock Hawaii, so that might be a good place to start.

Edit: Yep, this is the second track off Aids-A-Delic by Hanatarash <<video>>

That's underwhelming to what I was expecting :shobon:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Former Ween member Mickey Melchiondo sets sights on reality TV stardom

quote:

The ex-guitarist of the band Ween and lifelong Jersey Shore fisherman is prepping to shoot a pilot for a quirky TV series about saltwater angling. He's going to embark on nautical adventures with fellow musician and fisherman Les Claypool of Primus.

And produced by Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

I hope this comes to fruition!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Someone has been uploading some cool live performances from 1996, when the band was debuting some Mollusk material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZc7XFdtN4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__MkonHFwCA

I imagine more will be coming.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Nan and Waving my Dick were added. Bummer the sound is lacking a bass presence. Also someone should have told the annoying girl in the audience near the camera to shut up. I hope she sees these and realizes how dumb she sounded.

It's weird to see them playing with a DAT in 1996. That show was from April. Only six months later they were doing the shows which wound up on "Live in Toronto" with the poo poo Creek Boys. The Brunswick shows seem like amateur hour compared to the polish of the Toronto album. Maybe it's the sound quality.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

What's the story behind "Where'd the Cheese Go?" I think I heard that it was a song submitted to Pizza Hut for a commercial, but I don't know much beyond that.

Yeah that's it. Pizza Hut approached them and they recorded that.