  • Post
me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Found on /r/Ween this morning - GWAR covering Birthday Boy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyp2RGFMAOc

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

screaden posted:

Is there any info about when this was recorded?

Wikipedia says it's from this album, which came out in 2000.

I like the way Old Man Thunder was mixed into the beginning.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 19, 2013

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Continuing the Les/Deaner collaboration chat - from the Primus newsletter:

http://prawnsong.com/newsletter/2013/0521/newsletter_052113.html

quote:

Do you wanna fish with Claypool and Deaner?
If so, use your smartphone/iPhone and send us a close up video saying so, "I wanna fish with Claypool and Deaner!" is the phrase we are looking for. Be creative but try to keep it head or face shot and 5 seconds MAX. Email submission to ClaypoolDeanerFish@lesclaypool.com

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Just FYI - Spotify just added Live at the Cat's Cradle. They added Stubbs not long ago, too.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Posted to /r/ween:

Origin of 'Dancing in the Show Tonight' - Are My Ears On Straight, by Gayla Peevey, 1953

I guess if you change up a song enough it's okay to remake like that? (edit - learned it's public domain - I guess that has something to do with it)

me your dad fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 14, 2013

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

:rock: I'm gonna be your lawn mower and CUT YOUR FUCKIN GRASS! :rock:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

weirdojace posted:

Man, a new Shinola would be perfect. I don't care if I've heard all the songs before, I just wish a new addition to the Ween catalog would come out. But even Deaner said to not hold our breath on that...

I'm still not completely convinced that at some point these guys won't get back together and do some reunion shows or something. But maybe I'm just in denial.

I want to hear all five Stallions live on the reunion tour, as they did with All Request.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Replying to my own post so this could be bumped up - cool new interview with Deaner where he opens up a bit about his relationship with Gener, and fishing.

Link to article

Some choice bits:

Mickey Melchiondo posted:

Q. Have you talked to him?

A. Not really. Not in person. It's text messages, e-mails. It's mostly goofy s---. We send each other funny YouTube videos or, "You wouldn't believe this just happened."

Whatever the process is of Ween, whether Ween gets back together or not, it hasn't come to the point yet where something is about to happen. If we get back together or when we get back together, I would like to think that we both will want to do it really badly and it won't be something like money that makes it happen again. Right now, it hasn't been so long where I don't remember exactly what it was like and I feel like if we had to do a show tonight, I'm ready for it. I know exactly how the day would play out. I can imagine talking to Aaron, seeing Aaron, getting picked up in a van, going to the gig, doing the sound check.

Q. You feel like you need more time or do you have a sense that Aaron needs more time?

A. It can't happen without it being right and joyous. Ween is a happy, joyous thing. It makes people happy. It makes people smile. It makes people laugh. It makes people rock out. If we're up there and we're not happy then the whole thing is a catastrophe and it was trending towards that and it wasn't my decision to stop it but I'm not dumb enough not to see that it was wounded. It wasn't where it should be. It wasn't fun all the time.

Seeing as how it's been a year and nothing has really been said or communicated, I doubt that in the next month or two you're going to see us on stage but maybe in the next week or two the process will start, whatever that process is. I have nothing more to say about it because I haven't talked to Aaron. I can only speak for myself. I feel completely differently about Ween than I did two months ago. And two months before that, I felt completely differently about it and maybe six months before that, I was really pissed at Aaron.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

God Of Paradise posted:

Moistboys are still good.

Marvelous Clouds by Aaron Freeman is freaking horrible, just a heads up.

A few of the Marvelous Clouds tracks have grown on me. This song for example, is pretty good, and could have been at home on White Pepper.

I don't like Moistboyz but I am looking forward to Deaner's Miggy project, whenever that comes out.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

EDDIE__DINGLE posted:

I've got that 33 1/3 ween edition and enjoyed it, I liked how they spent some time talking about them before C&C and after up though the Mollusk. My only wish was that they had done it on Pure Guava instead, it's just my opinion but C&C is the least like WEEN album there is. There are some great songs but as they transition from lofi to polished recordings on that album its production has always felt forced and less like an album to be listened to end to end. When I listen to La Cucaracha, 12 golden country hits, or the Mollusk I start at track one and proceed through the high and lows to the end, for that matter GWS and PG as well. C&C is the ipod album that gets bounced around and pass of half the songs.

I read that book too, and enjoyed it immensely - especially the chapter about Candi. Chocolate and Cheese, while arguably not their best album, is certainly (arguably again) their most interesting if not just for the fact that it represented such a shift in their music. I remember the first time I heard it. I couldn't even believe it was the same band I had been listening to during the previous year when I got turned onto Pure Guava first, then GWS and the Pod. Then when they released 12 Golden Country Greats they lost me (it didn't help that I was about 17 years old and getting heavily into electronic music - who had time for country?). I couldn't make sense of what happened to the weird, sludgy, druggy Ween I loved.

I didn't get turned onto their new material until about seven years ago when my friend played Shinola, White Pepper, and particularly, Quebec.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 16, 2013

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

So the 'Dean Ween Group' is playing in Baltimore on March 22. I'm going to do my best to see them.

quote:

THE DEAN WEEN GROUP
SATELLITE HEARTS
+ GUESTS TBA

ALL AGES
Tickets onsale Wednesday January 29th at noon
at missiontix.com, Charmington's Cafe
and at Ottobar!

Ween fans and music lovers rejoice! The Dean Ween Group will be performing concerts this spring and summer in advance of a new album release, scheduled for this fall. While between tours in support of his new MOISTBOYZ album, Moistboyz V, Deaner (real name Mickey Melchiondo) is playing concerts with his top notch band the Dean Ween Group, featuring Dave Dreiwitz on bass, Joe Kramer on guitar, Ray Kubian on drums, and longtime collaborator and vocalist for Moistboyz, Guy Heller. Their set features brand new material as well as a handful of Ween classics. If you're a fan of live music and screaming guitar this will be one show that you must see!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Holy poo poo that's an awesome set. I got my tickets for the first show at the Ottobar in Baltimore and I can't wait.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Dean Ween Group website, complete with sweet logo that will look killer on a shirt.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

http://www.shortsbrewing.com/ is the brewery. I've seen a picture of their menu. It's covered with Ween references.

3 weeks til the kickoff tour for DWG in Baltimore!

Dean Ween Band/Whatever doing a live cover Floyd's Echoes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NjalkBq01o

Too bad it's a slideshow but the audio is great. Given that they've done that song live it's going to be really cool to see what they dig out for the DWG shows.

me your dad

This video is not available in your country.
:v:

Three more days to hear some live Ween songs from the Dean Ween Group :woop:

It's too bad (for me) that it's in Baltimore though since I'll have to keep sobriety in check for the one hour drive home. The friend I'm going with is going to a party earlier that day that I can't make it to and he's going to be absolutely poo poo hammered by the time we head out for the show.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Dean Ween Group killed it last night. They played a similar set as they did the other night in New Hope.

Some highlights:

Gabrielle (sung by Guy Heller, who absolutely owned it)
Piss up a Rope
My Own Bare Hands
It's Gonna be a Long Night
Dickie Betts (the Allman style jam - they opened with this one)
Tear for Eddie
I'll Take It and Break It (my favorite new song they played. Classic Deaner song. I've had this one in my head since last night) EDIT: Video from last night - not mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5d1SGVtK38
Sweet Jane (closed with this one)

Oddly they didn't do an encore. I think this is the first show I've ever seen where the band didn't come back out.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 23, 2014

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

He mentions Ben Vaughn in that article. I had at some point read (or imagined I had read) that that was the same 'Vaughn' as in the Bumblebee lyrics ('weed eating Vaughn's grass') and was looking around online trying to find reference to it when I found a cool old interview with Deaner:

quote:

I have to ask, which of you is the Jethro Tull fan?

That’s all of us, actually. We call it the "regal factor," you know, Fairport Convention, Steel Ice Band, Tull, even the more foul poo poo like Gentle Giant, ELP. We’ve listened to tons and tons of prog rock.

And you came out of it okay!

Not really [laughs]. We haven’t even released the most heinous of that poo poo that we’ve done. We’ve made some very unlistenable prog rock. But we do want to make a record that’s basically one tune in fifteen parts at some point.

We'll never have that :smith:

The interview (here) is pretty interesting. It was right when White Pepper came out.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I just got a push from Spotify telling me Quebec is now available. Hasn't it been in their catalog?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Cool tape photo posted by the Boognish Rising guy on Facebook:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Also, you know how some bands have "win vip meet and greet" events? Well Deaner has a "drive me to the airport meet and greet"

drat that would be awesome.

I was reading that post to my wife and she said, "what a loser. he has to ask on Facebook for a ride to the airport". I explained that he probably could find a friend to give him a ride but it was a pretty cool opportunity he was throwing out there for a fan (I'd happily drive Deaner to the airport). It'd suck though if he got in a car and the driver/fan was like, 'you mind if we listen to some Ween?'

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

weirdojace posted:

"You mind if we listen to Marvelous Clouds?"

:drat:

Seriously I can't believe Deaner subjects himself to such abuse. I imagine a majority of people just wouldn't have the sense not to ask him about his relationship with Aaron and whether or not Ween will get back together and all the poo poo he probably doesn't want to talk about with a stranger.

I for one would chat the hell up about fishing.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Here was the line-up from the show on Saturday:

Saturday when? 2007? That's a loving Ween show! drat I wish I could have been there.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Because Deaner

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

BigFactory posted:

That being said, seeing Gener play to like 15 people in a bar last year was pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing one more of those before Ween gets back together.

I dig your optimism but I don't think Ween is getting back together :(

My friend and I saw a solo show of his some time prior to the official breakup. It must have been 'The Gene Ween Band' or something. We were both expecting a rowdy night but it was really subdued and a bit disappointing. I much prefer the atmosphere of what Deaner's doing now.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 12, 2014

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Two recent additions to Spotify:

FREEMAN
Pure Guava

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Really good recording of Dean Ween Group 8/23/14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gocGx6Vcpdg

Also, really old ween. Deaners voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY9xZO543lQ

I'm stoked Deaner is coming to the Ottobar again in Baltimore in November. It'd be great if they came to DC so I could get a little crazier (access to public transportation) but I'll take what I can get. I saw them the last time they came around right after they first formed and it was great. I can't wait to see them again since they've been playing together more.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

Got a link? Or a time?

Hasn't been announced yet. He posted it on the Dean Ween Group Facebook page.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've always thought King Billy would sound a little better slowed a little bit so I did so by 10% and I think it sounds pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwsIOJXfq8o

It's a good god damned shame Ween never came out with a reggae album. They were really good at mimicking the style: King Billy, Fruit Man, Nicole, Mango Woman.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 14, 2014

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Just picked up tickets for Dean Ween group show in Pittsburgh.

I've never seen Ween, I hope this lives up to my expectations.

It's definitely not the same as a Ween show, but Deaner properly delivers the rowdy elements of the band. I've seen the Dean Ween Group twice and both shows have been a lot of fun. Is he coming with most of Ween, minus Gener for Pittsburgh?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Deaner just posted this on Facebook:

The Pod:

Deaner posted:

wow--chris buly just sent me this---it's the only picture (maybe there's one more lovely one?) of our recording space at The Pod, which was technically a tiny little dressing room next to our shared tiny rear end bedroom.

And this a few days ago, naming (most) of the people from the porch photo from the inside of Pure Guava:

Deaner posted:

Ok, from left to right---TOP ROW--Kristy, Kirk and Trina, Sarah and Aaron, Cribber and his girl, Deirdre, Marc, Andrew Weiss' feet---PORCH--Pat, Jefty, Leigh, brunette in purple, Joe (in back), Warren (w/ cigarette), David Anderson (r.i.p.), Me, Nancy, Guy (in blue tie dye and shades), forget, Billy--FEET ON GROUND--Lynn w/2 little kids, Ellen holding baby, redhead w little kid, Josh's dad w/baby doll, purple headed punker, the other Leigh, Kathy, and Claude---and last but not least, my loving dog Jimmy in very front of it all!

me your dad fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 23, 2015

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Stoked for some Dean Ween Group next week! The setlists have been total Ween shows.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Saw the Dean Ween Group in DC last night. It was a great show but I was very disappointed Glenn wasn't there (I read somewhere he was part of this tour). I got wayyyyy more drunk than I had planned and I only remember bits and pieces of getting home. Finally shook my hangover around 2:00 this afternoon (while taking care of our 7 month old twins, no less).

Does anyone know who the new vocalist is who filled in for Gener's parts?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Hollis Brownsound posted:

that's unfortunate too because the 9:30 club is such a great venue.

It really is, and the last two times he's been in the area he's gone to Baltimore. I don't recall how the audience sizes stacked up, but I hope he'll continue to come to DC for shows. An hour's drive home after a good show is a pretty big barrier to a rowdy night.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Double posting because a few people on Facebook are sharing some quality rarity compilations. They've all been released before I think, but the second link seems to contain higher-quality versions of tracks (such as Albino Sunburned Girl).

quote:

Considered by many to be the mother of all Ween bootlegs, Rotten Cheese is a six disc compilation showcasing the finest and brownest moments of Ween’s 1994-1995 Chocolate & Cheese tour. The comp was put together by Kirk Miller, Ween’s sound mixer during the tour so all the songs are straight off he board. There are plenty of highlights here including the 26 minute long “Poopship Destroyer” recorded in Hamburg, Germany, to obscurities like “I Get A Little Taste Of You” and “Dirty Money”.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6hmqg4pedzwtoxe/AACLT3vl-lluB6cG7zzCq31Ha?dl=0

quote:

Ween-B-Sides, Demos, & Rarities (4-Disc Comp.) Dropbox (I would consider this the best comp out there with 100 total tracks) I renamed all the tracks to their proper names as it was confusing.
If you want the lossless FLAC you will find it on Browntracker.net.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u2rhc2rdvb9b0fz/AACTsn8z34bWSiAnBsqj5sS6a?dl=0

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

shmee posted:

These links are dead, has anyone rehosted them anywhere?

That sucks. I didn't even bother downloading them all yet since I figured they'd be there a while.

Edit: Mirror in these comments for the six disc Rotten Cheese set: https://www.reddit.com/r/ween/comments/3jnynv/ween_rotten_cheese_6_disc_mp3_named_mp3s_dropbox/

Mirror in these comments for the four disc set of rarities:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ween/comments/3jn0pu/weenbsides_demos_rarities_4disc_comp_mp3_dropbox/

:11tea:

me your dad fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 5, 2015

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

I'm old enough that I was watching that show when it first came out, but somehow I never caught the/an episode with a Ween video in it. Bizarre.

That's how Ween became fairly well-known. For at least ten years after that episode, if I was describing Ween to someone, that was always a reference point to mention. It be framed as such:

"You ever see the Beavis and Butthead episode with the song Push the lil Daisies?"

"Yah"

"Well that's them except that's a terrible example of the their music and here you should listen to me talk about the band for two hours and be forced to listen to several albums so you understand the complexity one might grasp after every studio album plus a couple live shows."

I had a distaste for Push the lil Daisies for a very long time as a result of that episode until the version on Live in Toronto. I still don't like the studio track all that much but when done live, it can be pretty good.

Too bad there wasn't a video of Poopship. Ol' Beaver and Bunghole would have probably liked that one.

quote:

"These guys got no future"

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 5, 2015

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

I used to hallucinate to that record.

The Pod was the soundtrack to many very late nights in my late teens. Wide awake at 4:00 a.m., brains full of acid and just needing something soothing on the stereo. It'd usually be back-to-back with Live 93 by The Orb (completely unrelated to anything Ween - just mellow). I'd almost always have God Ween Satan on at some point during the peak.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 15, 2015

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Hollis Brownsound posted:

The last half of Quebec is pretty much this to a T

This is the right answer. Ween did plenty of great mellow tracks on their earlier albums but they don't have the same feel as to what was on the later albums.

Some mellower stuff from earlier albums:

God Ween Satan
Nicole
Old Man Thunder :what:
Puffy Cloud

The Pod
Sorry Charlie
Right to the Ways and the Rules of the World
Demon Sweat
Don't Sweat it
Laura
Moving Away
Alone (such a good song)
She Fucks Me

Pure Guava
Tender Situation
Sarah
Springtheme

Chocolate and Cheese
Tear for Eddie
Baby Bitch
Joppa Road
Don't poo poo Where you Eat

Quebec
Captain :love:
Among his Tribe
Alcan Road (I really haven't listened to this one enough but it's awesome)

I'm probably missing some stuff.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Dean on Facebook:

quote:

I don't like to tell the public what goes on behind the scenes---it ruins it i think. But so many people want to know why Glenn isn't doing the tour--it's because he got an offer to do more shows with Blood Sweat and Tears, something that happens regularly but he usually gets a substitute. The guy he had lined up backed out and Glenn has been with them longer than with us---like 30 years. And there it is. He's very upset that he's missing it for what it's worth.....he tried everything to get out of it.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4