Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

JAMOOOL posted:

I figured I'd get good and browned out beforehand and as a result my memory is spotty here

Pretty much every Ween show for me. I get up the next morning and look at a set list and I'm like, what the gently caress show was I at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Its Coke posted:

I discovered Ween this year and I literally can't listen to Cold Blows the Wind without crying. I mean I can have it on in the background if I'm doing something else but if I actually concentrate on the song the tears come out

same, except about Flies on my Dick

Enos Cabell posted:

Cleaning/organizing my office and ran across some old concert photos from back in the day. Think these were from 98, maybe 99 and for the life of me I can't remember if it was with a disposable camera or if I actually took my old 35mm camera to the show. Only 3-4 from the roll were any good at all, none with the full band sadly.

Where was this?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 3, 2018

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

What did this end up being about?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Sharing from Reddit in case you all don't go there - amazing Chocolate and Cheese era performance on an Australian radio station. Andrew Weiss on bass. The quality is great and the callers are super awkward and funny.

"That's Claude, the black guy in our group"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgN8IEsdsd0

Edit:

"You know Louise? The girl who just called? She's my friend!"

I'm happy for the guy who called in with the harmonica.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 30, 2019

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Weird, another full album show? I wonder if they are doing this to release them as albums?

I would buy them all because that live God Ween Satan is so good.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I realize this is kind of like a "duh" situation, but the Ween subreddit is so embarrassing to read as a fan of this band.

"Found a guava in my grocery store! Think someone is a fan?!"

"My girlfriend made me a playdoh boognish!" *shares vague lump of yellow playdoh with bits of weed stuck in it for hair*

[Posts picture of a pork roll found in a new jersey deli] *7,000 upvotes*

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Additional shows in Boston and Philly announced. Sadly the Philly show falls on the Saturday immediately after my daughter's birthday so I can't make it.

I haven't seen them since the last time they played at the outdoor venue in Charlottesville so I was super stoked for about two seconds before realizing the timing.

I wonder if they'll ever come to DC again.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

Ween were so loving good at Desert Daze even the loving COPS were taking pictures and asking us who was playing.

"Johnson - be sure to get photos of that band's logo and find out their name. If we spot a car with a decal of that spiky headed thing we'll know we're dealing with some druggy degenerates!"

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've never been into the Moistboyz. Same for Deaner's solo projects, aside from a couple songs. In my opinion it's easy to tell where the weird and creative side of Ween comes from (it's not deaner) :ssh:.

I saw Deaner's solo act when he first started touring as the Dean Ween Group with Guy Heller on vocals, and a couple times after that when he was on vocals. With each show it further solidified my opinion. He's one of the greatest guitarists in the music world but he definitely seems to be a one-trick pony when songwriting is concerned. Of course Ween wouldn't be Ween without his gnarly self though so don't get me wrong and think I'm hating on the guy.

On the other hand, Gene's solo album FREEMAN was amazing. It was like White Pepper 1.5 and has some really great songs on it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

let us never forget Sweetheart in the Summer.

True - one of my favorite songs.

And believe me, I love other Deaner songs when put into the context of Ween. I'm just not too into his solo stuff.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I can't believe I'm going to miss Bungle. I had a chance to see them in 1996 (on mushrooms!) but for some idiotic reason I did not go. I think I've been into Mr. Bungle even longer than I've been into Ween (though not by much).

Maybe if this limited tour makes them good money they'll expand to some other cities.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

The Philly poster is really good.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Agreed. And that line at the top of the poster is my favorite from the song, too. That whole brief section is something. My friend is at the Philly show with his son right now. I hope they get to hear it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I wonder how many jamband cretins are fond of the first two albums.

Aside from Ween, I don't think I've heard a single song from any other band on the lineup, except part of a Ween cover by Umphrey's Mcgee (I loving hate that band name so much).

me your dad fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 20, 2019

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

They mention White Pepper as the band's "sell out" moment, but I think that happened way back with Chocolate and Cheese. That's really where they went from being two drugged out dudes with a drum machine to being a full polished band. I remember the very first time I listened to C&C the week it came out and being turned off completely by Take Me Away. It was definitely a departure point for the band and sounded too polished and clean for my taste. If I ranked my favorite to least favorite albums, C&C would be right before Cucaracha at the bottom. It has some amazing tracks but overall I think it's one of their weaker releases.

To me it was their first most accessible album.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 1, 2020

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

The reunion years have given us some fantastic live material but I'll never forgive this period of time for standing in the way of a Freeman pt. 2

Freeman, which was essentially White Pepper Pt 2.

If people here haven't listened to Freeman you're missing out on the last great Ween record.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJJAdEkLLnA

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I ordered a Shimmy Disc shirt and got a cool letter and sticker :)

Right at home next to Boognish on the car

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 17, 2020

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I haven't listened to Live In Toronto in a while. Might have to change that today. Love me some live Poop Ship.

I wish more live stuff was available on Spotify. The 96 Country Tour Sampler is so good, along with Live at the Orpheum, 2003.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

polyester concept posted:

http://www.browntracker.net/

Two of my fav non-commercially recorded shows are 11/07/1999 Somerville MA, and 10/03/2003 Vancouver BC. Both are soundboards

The 2003 show at the Orpheum (the 10/03/03 show) is phenomenal - here's a streaming link from archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/ween2003-10-03-flac16

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

BB2K posted:

This loving rules

If anyone else has any fave recordings could you please post links in this thread too? Haven't listen to much live ween but I wanna

The 1996 Country Tour Sampler. In my opinion the best of their live material, played with the poo poo Creek Boys. Playlist link below. I have seen the show as a download file elsewhere but I'll leave you to find it if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCFkKHx7uMC9vXkFLNuIa1A65BjP4IIMR

The highlights for me:

A cosmic version of You Were the Fool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJGyNPrUSPI

Big Jilm, which for some reason really reminds me of the Boredoms/Ween track The Meadow. I guess it's the opening melody.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZSJPDowwj4

me your dad fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 3, 2020

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

I've never heard this show in full, but there's a good reason why it's the first hit that comes up if you're looking for a live version of Springtheme, 'cause goddamn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwWK3C3VFIo

Holy poo poo yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I got tickets for the Silver Spring show this December and I'm stoked! It's been since 2017 in Charlottesville since I've seen Ween live.