Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

me your dad posted:

I'm excited to see the Baltimore date since it's only an hour away for me, but it sucks doing that drive and limits the rowdiness.
I'm doing both the Bend/Seattle shows and my group of jerks are currently drawing straws on who gets to be the designated driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Beastie posted:

They did a 14 minute version of King Billy that was insane.
Aw man, they always pull out the poo poo I want most on shows that happen immediately after I see them, like pulling out Springtheme in Port Chester after seeing them in San Francisco. This is why you don't miss Ween shows.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

"My Little Country Cottage" of course being the best.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Bold Robot posted:

It boggles my mind that That Man (From The Flatland) has never been played even once (by Ween - DWG played it twice).
I feel the same way about "The Rift." DWG have played some loving brown-rear end Rifts, but Ween haven't played it at all as far as I know.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Today's show is streaming right now! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdAxJ7f8dMM

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Israel.
Israel.
Israel.
Israel.

This sitting around and waiting for the Oregon/Washington shows next week are killing me, it's so goddamn boring.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Clearly this is the next official live album Ween puts out, without a doubt.

Two days before the show I got a hideous eye infection. Sat up front during Pink Eye on My Leg blowing kisses.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Not a word of a loving lie: because of my hosed up vision I took a fall and scraped my leg on my way to the show. Felt like a loving conspiracy theory.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Bend was definitely my favorite show of all time, but the Marymoor show was a loving banger, too:

Squelch the Weasel
What Deaner Was Talkin' About*
Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down*
The Mollusk*
I Don't Want It*
Tick
Mister Would You Please Help My Pony?
I Gots a Weasel
Never Squeal
Boy's Club
Springtheme
The Enabler
Buckingham Green
Homo Rainbow
Now I'm Freaking Out
Ice Castles> The Final Alarm
Zoloft
A Tear For Eddie
Exactly Where I'm At
Let's Dance
Mister Richard Smoker
Little Birdy
Papa Zit
Puerto Rican Power
Don't Laugh (I Love You)
Pandy Fackler> Poopship Destroyer> Pandy Fackler
Encore: Roses Are Free

*acoustic
- Gener on acoustic for Squelch the Weasel, switched to electric for the solo in I Don't Want It
- Dean on bass, Dave on guitar for Don't Laugh

EDIT: We got a real nice shoutout from a cackling Gener onstage when my friend Jason held up his Jeff Rosenstock flag during Homo Rainbow:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 4, 2017

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Blast Man's part of my crew! We drove him to the shows this weekend!

Small world.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Stallion 4 in Denver tonight, last played in 2003.

Yet another example why you should never miss a Ween show. :argh:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

loving Stallion 2 in Montana tonight.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Pod on vinyl is worth it (though I haven't heard the RSD version, only the Shimmydisc). It's also pretty much entirely unavailable at this point, so it might be a good idea to pick it up at that price, 'cause it's only gonna get more expensive after that.

Just announced!

I'm skipping over the San Francisco shows, but I'm currently seeing round trip flights to Austin for $204, so I'm locking this one down. Also I'm gonna get hosed up on endless plates of barbecue.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 25, 2017

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Bold Robot posted:

On a happier but unrelated note, I came across this ultrabrown version of Spinal Meningitis on reddit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UaxDlJEc3k. I dug it and maybe you dudes will too. :thumbsup:
Mah favorite Spinal Meningitis!

This happened a couple days after the infamous meltdown show, tensions were high as gently caress. It actually went down on my birthday in my city, but I was in LA at the time. My friend still call it the weirdest Ween show they'd ever seen.

The Polka Dot Tail is pretty outstanding, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyH7W3zNPJQ

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Tonight's :nws: Emek poster is dope:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I had to skip out on the SF shows for an LA visit. If that was the last chance, I'm burning Disneyland to the ground when I get there.

With this and a Resident unmasking, this week has been super hosed. :psyboom:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

All five Stallions tonight! Man, missing this show hurtssssss.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

There will definitely be a stretch of time where Les and Deaner are playing together during that concert and that'll probably make the show worth it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

WHAT
IS
UP

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Whoa.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Red Rocks just announced Night 2!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Bit the bullet and bought a two day pass. Shouldn't be hard to get rid of if I can't make it.

Night 2 would be #10 though and that's rad. :dance:

EDIT: Mannnnnnn, I gotta miss a Sleep show to do this and that's all sorts of bullshit.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 1, 2018

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hopefully even more shows are gonna start popping up soon!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

It was pricey as hell, but I found a stack of Schnitzel's Shinola repressing on green vinyl at my record store, if any of you were looking for a copy, I'd say check around. The Schnitzel site already lists it as out of print!

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Nothing confirmed yet that I've seen, but lotsa rumors flying around about a show at Artpark in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area on July 28th
There's been rumblings of a Portland date for the last month or two that ended up getting confirmed by the Les Schwab Amphitheater in Bend before any sort of official announcement, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's true.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I just want them to release that Mollusk show that they clearly recorded to put out. <:mad:>

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I couldn't make Red Rocks happen, but at least I get this all up in my backyard.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

That live Springtheme tho.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

doctorthefonz posted:

If any Ween fans in this thread want some more weird, then I'd highly recommend checking out The Frogs. No other band has fulfilled me in such a similar way, combining songcraft virtuoso with uncomfortable subjects lyrics-wise
I'm a huge Frogs nerd, actually! Flew out to Texas last year to see Jimmy perform a tribute show to his brother/band mate Dennis.

Like Ween they were also really cool about audience recording. I've got about 30 shows recorded off the soundboard, the best ones are filled with nonstop bickering at the audience, but man they knew how to stretch goofy little improvised songs into legit great jams

I've been wanting to do a Frogs thread for awhile now. They're basically the Velvet Underground of the '80s/'90s alt scene in terms of influence. Everyone loved them and tried to push them as hard as possible, but they refused to back down from what they were doing. It was a career filled with them shooting themselves in the foot over and over again and I love them very much.

EDIT: Here's a solid shoutout to The Frogs from Gener! Continues on Mutilated Lips, too.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 1, 2018

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Just announced:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Woman and Man has the best Deaner solo on any of the studio albums.

I couldn't stand Learnin' to Love for the longest time until I saw it live. It feels like the band is playing a really mean joke on the audience, it's hysterical.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

snorch posted:

They did it when I saw them in Portland and it vibed incredibly, though it also may have been the drugs.
That was my first Ween show! That Fluffy solo at the end nearly murdered me dead.

...though it also may have been the drugs

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Holy poo poo, Red Rocks got a "If You Could Save Yourself!"

Gonna re-post from the Vinyl thread:
Heads up! Schnitzel Records out of the UK just put up the pre-order for a new repressing of Ween's The Pod on silver vinyl, limited to 1,000 copies and advertised as "never going to be re-pressed in this format."

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit, it's only $250 to fly out to Minneapolis from Portland, this might have to happen.

Good reason to hit up Paisley Park, too.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

"This Heart of Palm" is loving gorgeous.

Man oh man, four days out until Ween comes to town and I'm super hyped. I love using Ween shows as a reason to get out and travel, but it's so nice having shows all up in my city. :dance:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 14, 2018

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

me your dad posted:

We got God Ween Satan live with an album release. I wonder if they'll do the same with this. Live Mollusk could be next?
Man, I really want that to show up sooner than later. I want to relive the magic of being front row during Pink Eye (On My Leg) with my left eye swollen to the size of an egg leaking puss everywhere, blowing kisses and waving at the band all yoooo-hooooo, boysssssssss!

I have my fingers crossed for a live Guava at some point just so I can get all up in that live Mourning Glory.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

FIRST LIVE RIFT. WOOO.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

From where I was standing, Gener looked like he was having the most fun onstage. And that's saying something considering this happened for a split second:

Sure, Gene Ween looks like a melting wax figure of Gene Ween, but those two dudes had to be dragged offstage, they didn't want to stop playing. Apparently the rest of the band was tying up officials trying to pull the plug on the show while they played Fluffy Cloud. Heigography or not, that show completely destroyed me, it was outstandingly stupid, utter loving nonsense and I loved it very much.

EDIT: ultimately in regards to Gener's looks, I just take it as a warning sign not to get into heroin. He seems to be in a good place mentally, which is where it matters most.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 20, 2018

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Truly, the real miracle of these Edgefield shows is that we didn't get Mr. Richard Smoker on either night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

sporklift posted:

drat. Wish I had seen the Sat. show. Friday was fun but Saturday sounded epic.
From my experience (these were my 9th and 10th shows), Night One tends to be the straight-forward warm-up night and Night Two is where all hell breaks loose - super brown, full of jamming and constant loving around (What the gently caress, Enter Sandman?!). But then again the only night 3 I've been to was Vegas, and that was a total shitshow mess.

Here's a couple more shots, mostly from the first night! I didn't get many pictures night 2 due to bird drugs and all.

sporklift posted:

Kinda hilarious. I hadn't been around a jam band crowd in about 20 years. We were were surrounded by these frat looking kids doing weird sexy/grinding/lapdance? hippy dancing and twirling. Made for fun people watching. My wife and I liked it very much.
The traditional Jam Band scene is absolutely not for me, but Ween crowds tend to be the goofiest, friendliest fuckers I interact with at any shows I go to. And they're all handing out pins and stickers and staging puppet shows.