Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Was anyone else at the Sunday night show? poo poo was amazing. Great venue, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

redmedicine posted:

have they given any indication that they'll make a new record?

After the 3 night Capitol Theater run Deaner was posting a bunch in the big Ween group on Facebook about how psyched he was about the show and he said he was going to talk to Gener about releasing it in some form. Other than that I think he's said in interviews recently that he's only writing for Dean Ween Group right now. Who knows what Gener is up to.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Not a fan of Woman and Man but other than that amazing setlist. First time Powder Blue has been played in a long time. I'm doing both nights in Chicago next month, can't wait.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

JAMOOOL posted:

Is there a live album in the works? Or any really good boots available? These setlists look incredible.

Both nights of Lockn from last August are on youtube with professional quality video/audio.

All of the 2016 shows are up on relisten (or archive.org, it's the same content but relisten's interface is better IMO). The audio for the February Colorado reunion shows is really good from what I can recall. Not sure about the others but generally the tapers have their poo poo together and produce good material.

Harminoff posted:

Deaner wants to put out the capital shows as it was filmed professionally multicam, only time will tell if they actually do though.

These past few nights great quality audience captures should be up by the end of the month/early next on music archive.

Yeah, Deaner was incredibly stoked after that run and posted on facebook that he wanted to talk to Gener about putting out a live album of all 3 nights. I think he's also said that he has soundboard audio from every show they did in 2016. I'd be pretty surprised if we don't get either a Cap run album or an overall 2016 tour album within a year or two.

caligulamprey posted:

Night 3 devolved into Dean Ween literally dancing for money while the audience chucked chips at him. Hands down my favorite show of all time in terms of outright lunacy. The Linq is a Patrick Bateman fever dream and the only good thing I saw in the entire city was a life-sized plastic saxophone that holds 100 ounces of daiquiri that you sipped out of the mouthpiece and you had to tilt it up when it got below the halfway point.

Night 3 was close to my ideal setlist. I can't believe they played Albino Sunburned Girl, and it may have been from an audience request based off what Deaner said afterwards? Huge props to the guy that was streaming all of these.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

:thumbsup:

Bummer that the Brooklyn dates are a Tuesday and a Wednesday but loving awesome either way.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Presale for the summer tour dates starts at 10am eastern.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

me your dad posted:

From /r/ween:

The Pod (apparently) is for sale (only $790k for a dilapidated old farm house - what a bargain!)

Someone also posted this unreleased Pod track, which is loving rad: Make It

It's less of a lovely place than I would have imagined.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Allen Wren posted:

So this may have been asked previously in this thread or elsewhere, but I know of no definitive answer, so I must ask:

What actually is a jammypac?

:iiam:

Today it's a brand of fanny packs with speakers in them but I'm pretty sure these didn't exist in 1991.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Deaner posted on Facebook that he's starting his charter fishing service up again. I'm tempted to do it, I'm in NYC so it's not that far away.

e: typo fixed!

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 14, 2017

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Waiting to board my plane to Chicago now. So pumped.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Beastie posted:

Double Post Show Summary:

Gener was a bit off but totally silly about it. Your Party fell apart because he missed his cue to start the verse, couldn't finish it, and jumped straight the chorus and then the wrong verse. Deaner had to call the song off. They all laughed and talked it over for 2 minutes and then came back to kill it.

They band was totally in the jam mood though. They did a 14 minute version of King Billy that was insane.i guess it was the first time playing that live. Mutilated Lips was my favorite, they gave it their all.

We also got to hear a beautiful version of Boys Club. They really got the acapella down.

Buckingham Green totally rocked. Melted my face off, as always.

How lucky were we, got a hideous presentation of Stallion Part 1, total brown. My girlfriend was less than enthused. It was awesome.

The Mollusk was beautiful, hit the disco globe right when Glen was going nuts. Made it look we were underwater.

Setlist:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ween/2017/aragon-ballroom-chicago-il-6bf9124a.html

Agree with all of this. Things got real brown for a few songs starting with King Billy. Gener seemed maybe a little more out of it than usual - he was noodling on the keyboard for a while during King Billy when it didn't seem to be on and then had a few lyrics flubs, especially Your Party. But then he pulled it together and overall everyone on stage seemed to be having a great time. They were clearly having a ton of fun playing together and in a great mood.

Standout songs for me were King Billy (!!!), Your Party (take 2), Boys Club (with deaner doing a singing intro of the band), Roses (never heard this one live before and it's crazy how good it is), and Touch My Tooter (amazing energy from gener).

Can't wait for night 2; not looking forward to that line situation again though.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Doubt it. He always flubs lyrics, this was just a little worse than usual and he recovered well.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

OfChristandMen posted:

What a great loving read, including his follow up:

Yeah that was a great read. It's pretty cool how engaged Deaner is on facebook. Dude seems like he really loves what he does and has a lot of fun.

Chicago night 2 was loving awesome by the way. Can't wait for Brooklyn.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Overwined posted:

I can't get away from Quebec. I tell myself I hate it just so I won't listen to it for the billionth time, but I end up listening to it for the billionth time anyway.

I'd say it's their best album. You might be aware of them already, but just in case, don't miss the Caesar Demos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkVPap7TqYw. Quebec demo disc uploaded by Deaner at some point with a ton of songs that didn't make it onto the album, some of which are amazing.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

It boggles my mind that That Man (From The Flatland) has never been played even once (by Ween - DWG played it twice).

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

caligulamprey posted:

I feel the same way about "The Rift." DWG have played some loving brown-rear end Rifts, but Ween haven't played it at all as far as I know.

Saw DWG play The Rift in Brooklyn in January and it was good as hell, I remember being surprised to learn that Ween has never played it. Looking on brownbase it looks like DWG actually plays it pretty regularly. I guess maybe Gener secretly hates it or something? :shrug:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

me your dad posted:

Double posting because Mickey just did an interview for the Mollusk anniversary and it's awesome

http://www.stereogum.com/1951136/weens-the-mollusk-turns-20-an-oral-history-by-mickey-melchiondo/franchises/the-anniversary/

What a great read. Would be awesome if they did something like this for each of their albums (even if the story might not be as interesting as the mollusk).

Would have been cool if Gener was involved in the article though.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Was watching a stream of the show while on a cross-country flight. loving amazing show - one of the best setlists I have come across.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Apparently the 3rd date is some kinda glitch and it's just two nights.

On a happier but unrelated note, I came across this ultrabrown version of Spinal Meningitis on reddit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UaxDlJEc3k. I dug it and maybe you dudes will too. :thumbsup:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

caligulamprey posted:

Mah favorite Spinal Meningitis!

This happened a couple days after the infamous meltdown show, tensions were high as gently caress. It actually went down on my birthday in my city, but I was in LA at the time. My friend still call it the weirdest Ween show they'd ever seen.

The Polka Dot Tail is pretty outstanding, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyH7W3zNPJQ

Interesting, I didn't know they kept playing right after the meltdown show. I guess it makes sense since they didn't officially break up until a year or so later but I figured after that shitshow they would have taken more than a couple days off.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

:thumbsup: That's rad.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Saw a bunch of unread posts (by this thread's standards) and thought maybe more dates had been announced. :smith:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Beastie posted:

Yeah my gut told me that Gene is using and causing a poo poo storm.

He does seem to have lost some weight over the last year or so, for what it's worth.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Harminoff posted:

Deleted what did it say?

It was like, "Gene Ween has done it again, bites the hand that feed and shits where he eats, pray for my husband."

But Mickey just posted in the facebook group: "Just woke up to some chaos, calm down peoples, WEEN IS NOT BREAKING UP."

:shrug:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Harminoff posted:

Doesn't really seem like they would be drug related to me.

I know Deaner has been having money troubles, saying he owes like like half a million in taxes and only makes like $1500 a show so maybe something to do with that?

That was such a bummer of a post. It got deleted pretty quickly but I've been thinking about it since he made it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

No NYE show, then, I guess.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Kind of a weird version of the song, which imo is one of the better songs from caesar that didn't make it into quebec. But still cool that it's getting a release. I'm definitely gonna go to the Brooklyn show, would be cool to see them play it.

I saw DWG when they did Brooklyn Bowl last year and was caught off guard by how good they were. I expected them to be solid but I had a great time.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

It would not shock me if Deaner does a “secret” show while he is there. He did one in NYC last time DWG played here. As I remember it was on a weeknight at like 1am so I didn’t go, but the option was there.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Lack of show announcements is a little worrying, especially in light of the weird post from Deaner’s wife last fall. This time last year they had announced a bunch of shows already (and played at least a couple).

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

It's on the last page. Deaner's wife posted something like "Gene Ween has done it again, bites the hand that feed and shits where he eats, pray for my husband." There wasn't any more info. Not that long after, the post was deleted and Mickey showed up in the facebook group denying that ween was breaking up. No news since then though. It looks like last year they announced their summer tour at the end of February so hopefully we will hear something soon.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Beastie posted:

I’m going to listen to Ween and Zappa all weekend because I’m a weirdo.

:respek: are you me

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I would be tempted to go to the red rocks shows if they were on a weekend but middle of the week kills it for me. Hoping for east coast announcements soon.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

New Deaner album is not bad but it’s got a strong dad rock vibe to it that isn’t super interesting. Some of the songs could be fun live and I’m still planning to see DWG in a couple weeks in Brooklyn.

Also, agreed with all of the comments that the mix is weird. I’m no audio engineer and honestly am not super qualified to comment on this but some tracks just sound kinda off.

Continued lack of Ween dates aside from Red Rocks is a bummer. They had announced a ton of shows last year by this time.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Very cool, but bummed about lack of an NYC show so far.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Enos Cabell posted:

How much longer will they be able to keep this up without releasing new material? I've seen them several times post-breakup, and while the shows were ok it just doesn't feel the same. I just can't see them continuing on as a nostalgia act for another year.

I would be pretty surprised if they come out with actual new Ween material. I could see another Shinola or maybe a live album but I don’t get the sense that Gene and Dean are working together creatively right now.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Harminoff posted:

Yeah Dean pretty much confirmed no new material in an interview a few weeks back.

That said, they still have hundreds it not thousands of unreleased songs they could release. No idea why they are sitting on them while saying they are broke.

Got a link to the interview?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Rollersnake posted:

I feel like I'm kind of alone in thinking Chocolate & Cheese is one of Ween's weaker albums. It's not as chaotic and uncompromisingly weird as their earlier stuff, or as clever and polished as their later stuff, and kind of rests in that same middling goofy, mildly obnoxious territory as La Cucaracha. Freedom of '76 and What Deaner Was Talking About are the only tracks I'd consider among my favorite Ween songs.

I didn't start listening to Ween until after Quebec came out, though, and from there went back to Godweensatan and worked my way forward. Which is probably not the best way to come to appreciate a transitional album.

You are alone in thinking this yeah.

La Cucaracha is weird because it has so many good tracks but they don’t really come together as an album. Fruit Man, Woman and Man, Spirit Walker, and to a lesser extent Shamemaker are all bad. But the rest? Some great stuff.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Got a chuckle out of this comment on the Ween facebook group about the setlist last night:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

this is cool but :negative: when are we getting an NYC show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

thepokey posted:

drat thanks for the heads up on these, they're great!

:yossame: Great shows, great recordings, those are pro clicks.