Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
General Ween question, I'm looking for a song that has a squeakily played penny whistle or something in the solo part, but I can't for the life of me remember which song it was. Can someone help me out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

Roses are Free?

Nah that ain't it.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Nope and nope. It's much higher and squeakier than those. The song was along the lines of I'm Fat style-wise. It's not so much a melody as it is someone blowing as hard as they can into a penny whistle or recorder or something, and then sped up on tape.

snorch fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 16, 2012

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

thepokey posted:

Do you know if the recording sounded professional or did it have the sound of a demo/unreleased type track? Would help into knowing if it's something from an album or something else.

Could have been a demo, could have been on an album. Sounded like their typical 4-track tape stuff.

e: Found it. It was I Saw Gener Cryin' in his Sleep

snorch fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 18, 2012

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

I love it when musicians relate simple things that made a difference for them.

Anyways, I was kind of surprised to hear a Ween cover on the radio recently; a local Bavarian band called Triska recorded an excellent cover of The Stallion Pt. 3. Unfortunately I can't find any links to Youtube or the like, although I can find it on Spotify, and a preview can be heard here.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Bought tickets to Pabst in OR, gonna be driving down from BC and camping at odd locations on some of the adjacent days. Not sure if I'm using Ween as an excuse to go on an Oregon trip, or using an Oregon trip as an excuse to go see Ween.

snorch fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 21, 2016

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Who's in for Pabst tomorrow?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I wanna know what that thing without words in the lyrics was, it blew my mind.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Yeah I think it's fair to say this is Ween at their best, everybody was loving killing it on stage.

Actually had a run-in with them the night before the show. My GF and I had split from Duran Duran early to beat the rush, and got some tips on good bars from some local lady on the way out. Stopped for a bite and then headed to a titty bar the lady had suggested, and after we barely got situated in walks the band plus road crew sans Gene and sits down in front of us. I was a bit starstruck but GF has a talent for breaking the ice so we got to making as much small talk as you can make in a noisy strip joint. Mickey ordered us a round and everyone was super friendly and nice.

Thanks random Portland lady!

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Had more fun at the Portland show last year but Redmond was a good mix and deaner was killing it. Also was honored by a visit from the blast man, who knocked on our hotel room door to personally introduce himself.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Haha so you're the crew that saved our rear end by generously providing papes? :whatup:

Also was blown away by the nested pandy/poopship.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

me your dad posted:

the 20 minute middle eastern chant run-up during some live versions is boring.

They did it when I saw them in Portland and it vibed incredibly, though it also may have been the drugs.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Really eager to hear what kind of stuff comes out of that. I never really thought of deaner as a producer but now that I do I like the sound of it.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
My brother and wife are there and said they'll playing but who knows.

Also props to whoever came up with Doobie Decibel System.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Holy balls how did I miss the south park anniversary concert?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5x7TUiV8Urk