Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

So back in September I first gave the Mollusk a listen and didn't think too much of it.

Fast forward to now and Ween is in my highest echelon of favourite musical acts.

At first I found them a little too jokey. Even their serious songs like She Wanted To Leave seemed halfhearted. The first time I listened to the Pod, it made me physically ill. Then I listened to it again and it became my favourite album for a little while. As I progressed through their discography I warmed up to their goofiness. They became one of my favourite bands by the time I was finished listening to Chocolate and Cheese, but I appreciated them even more after listening to White Pepper and Quebec, the latter becoming my new favourite album.

One of the biggest problems trying to explain Ween to my friends is that Ween can't really be classified easily. They're considered experimental rock but that genre label has much more serious and surreal connotations associated with it, at least for me. In my own vernacular, I consider Ween to be "Cartoon rock" because their music is not only colourful humourous, but they also sing in cartoony voices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

zh1 posted:

Anyone else really love Flutes of Chi? Such a happy and catchy mystical ditty.

It's my favourite George Harrison song.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Oh man, if footage with good audio quality was released I would be over the moon.

I really appreciate Ween as a live band because they are more rock-y live but still great. Their Live In Chicago versions of Roses Are Free and Spinal Meningitis are fantastic yet very tonally different.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've never done a Weensday but I've been celebrating HalloWeen for the last couple years where I eat candy, listen to Ween, and shame anyone who doesn't do the same.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I was really thirsting for that Shinola Vol 2

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I still listen to GodWeenSatan from time to time but it's far from my favourite album. I love the Pod and Pure Guava though. They're both those kind of albums that I can pretty much put on whenever. In fact, Pure Guava has slowly climbed my favourite album lists.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Do any of y'all keep up with Dean Ween Group's stuff? 2016's the Deaner Album was incredibly good and one of my favourite albums that year but this year we got rock2, their second LP. It's full of great songs including a recording of Don't Let the Moon Catch You Crying which you might recognize from the Caesar demo tapes. I like that original Caesar version but drat if this rock2 version makes the song a drat masterpiece.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

That audio quality could be better but it was still good that they've officially done Rift live and not just DWG.

I've been listening to some Ween demos and outtakes and I'm particularily fond of this C&C outtake for the Rift which has effected vocals and a prominent organ track towards the end.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't think he looks that bad. If he still had colour in his hair nobody would be saying this.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Did Ween seriously make a song about a 1983 action-comedy flop?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Really cool to hear those early versions of When The Going Gets Tough and Tender Situations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

caligulamprey posted:

I'm also interest in seeing Connan Mockasin. What I've heard of him sounds very much like what if Pure Guava was just fuckjams.

That's, uh, one hell of an endorsement.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I dunno I thought the Deaner Album and Rock2 were really good! Both albums are full of great tunes including a new version of Don't Let the Moon Catch You Crying on rock2 and I don't have an :allears: big enough to express my love for that track

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

*reaches for his phone to immediately called the Based Department*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I did not listen to enough Ween this Halloween season.