Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairdoctor
May 31, 2001

The doctor is in.

Bobby The Rookie posted:

It does use the hugely inferior version of "Friends," though, I have no idea why they didn't use the EP cut-

The EP version is actually a remix. Gener wanted someone to do a wild techno mix of it and they got the dude that made that Crazy Frog garbage to do it.

quote:

The song was produced by Reinhard "DJ Voodoo" Raith, one of the principal figures behind the Crazy Frop ringtone phenomenon of the past few years. "We were doing the demos for it and Aaron ["Gene Ween" Freeman] thought it would be good to get a European dance guy to re-do that song," guitarist Mickey "Dean Ween" Melchiondo tells Billboard.com. "We don't even play any instruments on the EP version."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairdoctor
May 31, 2001

The doctor is in.

me your dad posted:

I was hoping for a farewell tour, at least :(

As a huge fan I'm more pissed about the way this info came out than the news itself, but you could argue that it's been a long farewell tour for a while now with Gener's escalating on-stage antics and lack of recording. After the release of Quebec Deaner said they would never take that long to make another record (nearly 4 years), but they eclipsed that mark a long time ago. He sounded pretty disillusioned with the idea of recording again, but I figured some time off and letting Aaron do his thing would eventually bring everyone back in the fold. Instead we get a quote in a loving Rolling Stone article and the public gets to find out just like Mickey. I'm hoping there's more to the story here or it's just a really lovely move on Gener's part