Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Why would you want to hear anyone else sing Birthday Boy anyway?

Ween is Gener and Deaner. If the rest of the live band want to go on, I'm guessing they would do it under a different name and just play songs like Awesome Sound or cover versions.

Ween splitting up isn't surprising given the state that Aaron is in, but he went about it in the most dickish way imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I think the live versions of Birthday Boy are better too, but there's something really raw about about the album version. It sounds like it was recorded hours after the breakup.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Geaner's comments make me sad.

Particularly the way he talks about 'The Ween Organisation' and how he refers to Deaner as his 'Business Partner'. He makes it all sound so impersonal and meaningless, like Ween had become some lovely going-through-the-motions day job rather than something that was special and meaningful to him.

I still can't believe they have split up. They were one of those bands that you just assumed would be around forever. And to split it up without even discussing it with the only other band member, and doing it through the medium of Rolling loving Stone of all things, while promoting your new tepid as piss album of boring, middle of the road, sentimental cover songs just makes it all the worse.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
How in the hell was Pure Guava even released as a major label debut? What the gently caress was going on in the early 90s.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The Live in Toronto with the poo poo Creek Boys version of What Deaner Was Talking About is the ultimate version.

Awfully pretty.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
There's a ghetto French pressing that's of Pure Guava on a single LP that's fairly easy to track down.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Live in Toronto's cover is a version of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Might_as_Well_Be_Swing

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
It was Gener's yard sale.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I did a bit of Frankenstein surgery and stitched together The Deaner Album and Freeman in Spotify to make a bootleg 10th Ween album and I love how it has turned out.

The tracklist I've came up with runs:

Dickie Betts
The English and Western Stallion
Bundle of Joy
El Shaddai
Doo Doo Chasers
Golden Monkey
Mercedes Benz
Black Bush
Garry
More Than The World
Exercise Man
(For A While I Couldn't) Play My Guitar Like A Man
Shwartze Pete

There's other stuff I'd like to have put in there (Gum specifically) but I kinda liked the idea of alternating between the two albums, so sacrifices had to be made.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
This version of Marble Tulip Juicy Tree is amazing. Top tier Ween madness.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
This show just went up on YouTube and they all sound amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbZ-XFsm2-g.

Edit: Actually, it's got a horrible loud noise that keeps popping up and ruining it :(

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 20, 2017

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
So they hate each other and are still performing occasionally for cash?

That's fine by me but it also makes me sad.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Hi, I'm fuckin' Eddie Dingle.

RIP Nan :(

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
My rock2 arrived but I think I like the first one more. The studio versions of some of these songs aren't as good as the live youtube versions that have been floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The mix lets a lot of the songs down imo. The horns on Ritz Carlton are so wimpish that the track would be better without them, which is a shame since it's probably the most enjoyable song on there.