Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Yes! They are one of my absolute favorites but I was unaware of this release, thankyou!

Best band I've ever seen live, only saw them twice on back to back nights since they don't come to Australia much :( But they played 2 3hr shows and only played one song more than once (Fiesta). I know that's not unusual for them, but unusual for me to get such great value. Really hope a new album is in the works ... I remember there was talk about it but something happened to their farmhouse/recording studio or something from memory, structural repairs or something so it was put on hold? 4yrs is too long to wait for new Ween, so this will do for the mean time.
I've heard a few of these unreleased songs but a lot I don't know. I just recently found a few on youtube I'd not heard before ... mostly impressed with the Belvadine and Be My Wife ... even those 2 songs back to back shows what amazing versatility this band has.

edit: Listening to this now and got to 'My little country cottage' and lost it, this is awesome hahaha.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Not yet, but definitely something that I want to pick up soon.

Glad to see a few other fans here. It always seemed odd to me that there is no ween thread here.

Here is one of my favorite unreleased tracks from them.

Kim Smoltz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K65dRRa3GoM

Awesome I never knew that was the name of that song! I always just knew it as something that apparently ended up morphing into Pink eye on my leg.

But you're spot on with what I mentioned about going from one song to something totally different when I found:

Be my wife
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P6jrs8JYQE

to the Belvidene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5gYXz6yH0E&feature=related

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Doesn't exactly sound in sync with the rest of the band in that clip does he! Strange because from a recent video interview and some other recently live clips from this year he was looking and sounding really good, better than he has in the past couple of years. He really bloated up with a lot of weight in 09/10, but was looking a bit slimmer and healthier this year.
Hopefully he hasn't taken another backwards step.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

really psyched for Gener's album, sure it's not a new Ween album, but since the last new album came out in mid 2007 I'll take what I can get. I really hope it contains a studio version of "Lets get divorced", that one really cracks me up. But I'm sure it'll be good no matter what.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

As for the unreleased stuff there are some real gems. "Be My Wife" is very sweet. That and "The Belvidene" are some of my favs, it's the laughing on that track that kills me.

I must say I'm a little disappointed that Geners album will be covers. Well not really covers, interpretations of poems I guess. I'd prefer hearing him singing his own words. I'm sure I'll love it, just wish it was all from Gene's weird mind rather than just his stamp on it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Kim Smoltz - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K65dRRa3GoM (honestly, how did this not make the cut)

Didn't this end up becoming Pink Eye (on my leg)? But you're right, I love this one, and I love Pink Eye, surely there's a universe where they can both exist!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

weirdojace posted:

I started out not liking all their music, but this band has a tendency to grow on you like a parasite. I think my respect for them shot up even more after I saw them live.

They are total value for money seeing them live. They haven't been to Australia much but when I saw them in 2008 on back to back nights they played for 3hrs each night and only 1 song appeared on both nights (Fiesta).

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Been watching the whole Red Rocks gig on youtube again, but man 'Did you see me?' just floors me on this performance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkp6-Dv8ZGQ&feature=related

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I preordered a copy at a record store and really am digging the stream he put up. It's definitely different and not very Ween-like. But I like that he's done something different enough to not just be trying to be a solo version of Ween.
I admit I would prefer to have him write his own stuff, but he said he would be for the next one. Marvelous Clouds (the song) is great.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah this is really lovely, but like others have said I doubt it spells the absolute end, I'm sure they'll ride once more down the road eventually. But even so. But yeah the way it came about and Deaners facebook reaction to it kind of sucks. There seems like a lot of that with them lately though, like when Deaner released the Caesar Tapes and Gene came out and said it was a shock to him that he did and he wished he hadn't. Seems like communication may have fizzled a little in the break.

I'm hoping maybe after Aaron gets another record or 2 under his belt that they might start thinking about it again "well back in 2012 it seemed like the right thing to do, but it's 2017 now and it just feels right to bring back ween".

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Wait ... unless I'm misunderstanding this ... a fan asked Mickey what his favorite alcoholic drinks were, Mickey answers ... and Aaron is upset by that? Why?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

snorch posted:

It's not so much a melody as it is someone blowing as hard as they can into a penny whistle or recorder or something, and then sped up on tape.

I just love that this can be a description for a Ween song, and that it still has big fans scratching their heads as to what it could be.

Do you know if the recording sounded professional or did it have the sound of a demo/unreleased type track? Would help into knowing if it's something from an album or something else.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Paper Boy by Moistboyz also officially released as a single now. Does anyone have the link to the other new Moistboyz song which showed video of the guys in the studio? Can't seem to find it on youtube and can't remember it's name.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I can't stop listening to "I like you" from that live gig supporting the Butthole Surfers that they posted. So much better than the old tapes.

Here's a question I've had for awhile though; who does the vocals on the All Request Live version of Where'd The Cheese Go?
The main vocals sound so black that you'd guess maybe Claude. But from vague memory the name Dave was mentioned so maybe Dreiwitz? But then with how well the vocals reacted to the keyboards maybe it's Glenn? I always figured the voice on the phone was Gene and I I'm pretty sure neither is Deaner because when he's talking at the end of the track it just sounds on a different level in the mix to either.
Usually I'm good with picking who is who when it's not so clear cut but never worked this track out.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

nasboat posted:

"Kick you in the pussy" never fails to make me laugh

I always thought it was "Kick it with a pussy"?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

It seems like Dean and Gene seem to keep swapping on how comfortable they are having rare stuff released. As far as I know, Dean released that Quebec demo stuff online without consulting Gene and Gene wasn't really happy with it. Now it's like things have flipped and there's a lot of demo/rare stuff that Dean doesn't want out that Gene does. Make your mind up dudes!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

drat no studio of Let's Get Divorced there, was hoping for that one.

What do people think of Moistboyz 5? Lots of good stuff on there, Chickendick is the most Ween sounding song I think Moistboyz have done. Can just imagine how delighted Mickey must have been at getting to yell out "Chickendick!" in a song.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

I split the file using mp3split without re-encoding and tagged everything. You can download it from my dropbox

edit: Just realized I spelled Dean as "Deen". You can go ahead and fix that yourself. Fixed

Thanks so much!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah I'd say that means his relationship with the members of Ween is over but his relationship with the music isn't. Which is sad, even if Ween doesn't get back together it sucks Aaron and Mickey aren't friends, you just sort of want them to still be buds. But who knows, things can always change.

Aaron seems to hold a lot of resentment and Mickey seems oblivious as to what causes that. So I guess the truth is somewhere between Aaron blowing it all out of proportion and there being unresolved misunderstandings and such and Mickey not letting on to personal issues as much as he is. In the end that's their business I guess, but god damnit work it out guys!

Interesting that Aaron seems to do most of his opening up with Rolling Stone mag; wasn't it with them that he officially announced the initial Ween break up too which shocked Mickey?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

What I don't like is that the interviewer has heard some of these songs and I haven't :colbert:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Discombobulator posted:

Where? I have a vinyl preordered, but the site still says July 22 release.

I think they mean leaked rather than released. Trying hard to hold off on listening to it until release day. Another favourite artist just had an album leak last week and I caved early. But seems like a lot of talk is centered around the first track.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Callick posted:

I like Freeman. Solid album. Black Bush is definitely my favorite track, and the most "Ween" by far compared to the rest of them. I hope he keeps putting 'em out :)

Black Bush is my favourite too. It feels like English and Western Stallion is almost trying too hard to be Ween-like, whereas Black Bush just, is.

Found these cool studio clips of three songs on youtube

http://youtu.be/vcouux9tRoM

http://youtu.be/T8iBGj3xfs4?list=UUCpd6qvE03uwMqoHwMfulSg

http://youtu.be/ukapS7WrOC0?list=UUCpd6qvE03uwMqoHwMfulSg

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

DoubleCakes posted:

So back in September I first gave the Mollusk a listen and didn't think too much of it.

Fast forward to now and Ween is in my highest echelon of favourite musical acts.

At first I found them a little too jokey. Even their serious songs like She Wanted To Leave seemed halfhearted. The first time I listened to the Pod, it made me physically ill. Then I listened to it again and it became my favourite album for a little while. As I progressed through their discography I warmed up to their goofiness. They became one of my favourite bands by the time I was finished listening to Chocolate and Cheese, but I appreciated them even more after listening to White Pepper and Quebec, the latter becoming my new favourite album.

One of the biggest problems trying to explain Ween to my friends is that Ween can't really be classified easily. They're considered experimental rock but that genre label has much more serious and surreal connotations associated with it, at least for me. In my own vernacular, I consider Ween to be "Cartoon rock" because their music is not only colourful humourous, but they also sing in cartoony voices.

I found one way of winning people over who always thought Ween was too jokey was to get them to listen to the live in Chicago album/DVD. That showcases some serious loving musicianship. They're tight as heck on that and I love the way production sounds on it. I had a couple of people who thought they were too jokey listen to that and then they went back and listened to some of the albums again with a whole new appreciation.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I usually go for the Live in Chicago Johnny on the spot video. It's so drat tight.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

Did You See Me?

Man this song gets me.

On that topic - there used to be a pro recording video of it from (I think) Red Rocks? It was on youtube and was such a great live performance that I got a audio rip of it. Now I can't find the video on youtube or the audio of it. Got a new phone and was loading it up with music and realised I don't have it anymore. Does anyone know where to find it? Couldn't see the one I'm referring to on brown tracker.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah I was just about to post this...they now just posted a pic of Dean and Gene hugging. I mean I would absolutely love them to get back together properly. But I guess my main thing would be so long as they can work it so it isn't at the expense of Gener's health. If the bills need to be paid that badly that he's willing to risk going into that risky environment again it's pretty bad. Hopefully, if/when it does eventually happen they really work out a way that it'll be supportive of keeping him on track.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

The photo they posted is from 2007

Yeah, but it's what they were implying with the photo.

I'm not getting my hopes up or anything though. There's been no other signs at all.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

Well, hm. I don't think I'm going to have the cash to land tickets, especially with travel costs. I hope this means they're actually on speaking terms again and it's not just "gently caress, we could use some dollars."

I hear you, there's no way as a student I'm flying over from Australia :(
If I could I totally would though!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Y-Hat posted:

Aw goddammit, my friend is visiting NYC on that weekend and I promised to show her around. The things I do for people....

Just take her to Colorado and put up with the constant "NYC isn't how I expected it to be" comments from her

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

sout posted:

Man, it's super upsetting knowing how small the chance of getting to see these guys in the UK is.

I hear you, I only saw them once (well, twice, back to back nights) here in Australia. Still the best gigs I've ever seen by any band ever. They only played one song on both nights (Fiesta), otherwise it was basically close to 3hrs both nights of completely different setlists - value for money! The best part was finishing work the night of the second gig and walking to the bar to have a few pre-gig drinks and walking right past Gener who was out taking photographs of the city. Stopped and chatted/photos etc with him for nearly 10mins, he was super chill and friendly. More than any other band in the world I'd want to see them again.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Deaner just posted that he has counted 94 songs rehearsed for the 3 night residency, with no song to be repeated. I know that's the usual MO, but god drat they're doing it right and Im stuck on the other side of the world :( you guys going are going to need to provide some drat good reviews....please.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

femcastra posted:

It would be amazing if they came back to Australia. I can always hope.

One of the few bands I would travel interstate to see in order to go to multiple gigs if they only did the one in Melbourne.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

This does make me smile

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

From the pics/videos so far it looks like a hell of a big brown party. Equal parts happy and jealous!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

And night 2:

Pork Roll Egg and Cheese
Take Me Away
Transdermal Celebration
Back to Basom
Mister, Would You Please Help My Pony?
The Grobe
Stroker Ace
Object
Ice Castles
The Golden Eel
Happy Colored Marbles
Kim Smoltz
Tried and True
Baby Bitch
Help Me Scrape the Mucus off My Brain
Joppa Road
I Don't Want It
Frank
She Fucks Me
Ocean Man
You hosed Up
Poopship Destroyer
The Rift
Transitions
Ace of Spades
Laura

This is nuts!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Best video/audio I've seen so far from the shows so far - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5nU2iSno1Y

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

La Cucaracha did take awhile to grow on me, there are some songs I still skip over more than most other Ween albums, but it definitely has its highlights. The Pod, and to a lesser extent, Pure Guava, both took me a long time. I got into the band around Chocolate and Cheese and never really visited the earlier albums until after 2000. Initially I really didn't like Pod and Guava, but similar to others, as I hear more recent live versions of those songs it was like "oh wow thats awesome, so that's the song that's hiding under all that fuzzy lovely noise?" So I went back and re-listened to them and found a new appreciation for many of the songs. Although I still prefer the cleaned up live versions of most of them.

I listened to the iTunes snippits of the Deaner album, from what I can tell I think I'll really like it. Sounds quite varied as opposed to getting stuck in a theme or genre which is just what I hoped. I haven't heard anything from it in full besides Mercedes Benz and the live Dickie Betts, but yeah, excited for that!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Exercise man didn't really grab me. Mercedes Benz is kind of cool but after a few listens is already old. Dickie Betts feels like the sort of song which will always be better in live versions. Given all that I am still looking forward to the album. Samples of the other songs sounds like there will be a few cool tracks in there. Bundle of joy probably sounds like the stand out so far

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Played the album a few times now. Agreed Garry is drat good. Tammy is dark as hell and I like it. I thought Bundle of Joy would be my fav - it's good, but maybe a tad too long.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

femcastra posted:

Nice interview, and him mentioning wanting to bring dwg to Australia is great. From Byers crossed that happens!

Might have done a little fist pump at the idea of dwg coming to Australia, which also hopefully means we're on Ween's radar too