Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

shmee posted:

Totally agree, I loved 'Quebec' and 'Shinola, Vol. 1', but really couldn't get in 'La Cucaracha' and have barely listened to it or 'The Friends EP'.

Funny thing is that I loved The Friends EP but thought that La Cucaracha was honestly pretty horrible. In fact, that's the only Ween album I have that opinion about. It honestly just felt like they were running out of inspiration, since while a lot of the tracks on it sound OK they're just missing that something extra to push them past being just decent genre exercises. The only track that I really super enjoyed from it was "Woman and Man" and even there it takes a bit too long to build up and they've done similar tracks better anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
As much as I have to agree that The Mollusk to quebec/Shinola is probably the band's strongest run of albums, I honestly think that my favorite Ween albums (as in the ones I personally listen to the most) are their first two for whatever reason. Especially The Pod. That is just their loving trippiest, strangest album and I love every minute of it.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

unsanitary posted:

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one whose favorite Ween album is The Pod.

I prettymuch said that several posts up.

The funny thing is that my favorite song on that album has changed several times over the years. At this point I think it's "Demon Sweat." It's such a sparse, super chill song, and honestly pretty unlike most anything else in their discography. Plus it features one of Dean's best guitar solos.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

weirdojace posted:

So now I suppose the award for the longest standing genre switching humorous alternative rock duo goes to:

Well given that TMBG have been around since the early 80s, they would've won that award anyway. (Though it's pretty awesome that they commented on it. Of course, they were former labelmates so that probably helps.)

Anyway since I haven't really said anything about it yet, while I'm sad that the band is apparently no more, I'm way more interested in Aaron being happy and stable and drug-free than the band continuing at this point. The guy looks like poo poo, quite frankly. He looks older than my loving dad while being significantly younger, and that's not good.

Besides, as has been said, band breakups are almost never permanent in this day and age, so maybe some years down the road we might see them back together. If not, well at least they had a good run.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Convexed posted:

Happy birthday! :)

Now's a good as time as any to familiarise myself with Pure Guava. Ashamedly, I don't think I've ever listened to it in its entirety.

Compared to Ween's other albums as a duo (which are still two of my absolute faves), I don't care for Pure Guava all that much. They kind of edged over into being a bit too druggy and weird-for-the-sake-of-weird, so listening to it all at once is kind of tiresome. It still has a bunch of great songs on it, though, and admittedly I haven't listened to it in years, so I guess today's as good a reason to break it out and refamiliarize myself with it as any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Chocolate and Cheese was my first Ween album, which I heard back when I was in high school. In a lot of ways it's still one of my favorites, and still has a ton of my favorite songs by the group ("Freedom of '76," "Mister Would You Please Help My Pony?," "Roses Are Free," "What Deaner Was Talking About," "Voodoo Lady," "Buenos Tardes Amigo" and good christ I should stop since I'm listing about half the album here). Maybe it's not the best starting point, but it sure as hell got me hooked almost immediately.

me your dad posted:

Really the only terrible songs are Friends and Spirit Walker.

The only problem I have with the album version of "Friends" is that the EP version is infinitely better, so I can't help but feel disappointed whenever the Cucaracha version pops up when I'm listening to music on my computer. Actually, to be honest, I think part of the reason I was so disappointed in La Cucaracha is because The Friends EP was almost perfectly "all killer no filler." Then the album drops and it has poo poo on it like "Shamemaker."